-any of you Left Coasters LUCANUS fishing??

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

-any of you Left Coasters LUCANUS fishing??

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hey ya'll Kelp Kasters, have ya'll tried out the Lucanus way of bottom fishing that C-O-L-D water??

Here's what I mean: (PDF file)

http://www.lucanusjig.com/publish/conte ... g%2008.pdf
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Thats a fishy looking deal, no, have not heard of it but I can't say I pay a lot of attention to cutting edge tackle. That said, up here some of the jigs you see people use look like nothing more than a short bar of aluminum or stainless and they still catch fish like crazy so not sure the Lucasnazzeroony will go over big but I'd try it.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I am going to try and get over to Mako Matts and talk to them about it next weekend.
If I had lots of extra cash, I would pick up some in various sizes and colors to try them...but at $15 a pop fishing around rocks? EEK!!!!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

JETTYWOLF,
Left Coaster here. The Lucanus jigs just became available to us the beginning of March at the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach.
Lots of talk and hype before it's release because of the marketing plan of Shimano and it caught plenty of fishermen when they became available :lol:
There's also a whole system that they recommend to fish it with. IMO the only thing that is necessary would be a soft enough rod and braided line. Take note on how these jigs are worked. Slowly with very little action on the angler's part. Will probably be effective in the rod holder while drifting.
Here's a u-tube video that helped promote the jig:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HNqQKMxU0D0
I can't remember where I got the link from, but if it was someone here, thank you.
San Clemente Island is around 60 nm off our coast and doesn't get alot of fishing pressure so the fish tend to be larger and more plentyful.
It seems many people are having a hard time spending $17-$19 bucks for one jig (ouch when you lose it)
One of my buddies has been using them with decent success.
I fish with my cousin alot and he loves to make his own lures and came up with one that sort of represented a Lucanus and he caught the targeted species with it!
Fishing in local waters this weekend 200 ft, here's the proof:
Vermillion Rockfish 3-4 lbs.

The fish were lickin' pretty good when he tied it on and bait was working very good, but he did get the biggest one of the day.
If you get creative, I'm sure a person will be able to create their own.
Last edited by IN2DEEP on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

BTW, both the Lucanus and the Butterfly are take-offs of lures that have been fished in other places for some time already.
Here's a discussion on the AC board a while back with some pictures of the originals that Shimano may have gotten their idea from:

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/View ... 3A06%27%7D

Enjoy, Scott :) :) :)
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yep, watched every video, went to every web site, all I do is surf info when not fishing. Seen most of it all........And I'm always interested. And a junkie. If I had more $$, I'd own it all, rods, reels, jigs, you name it. It's my hobby.

I have to say one thing about Shimano, which no one actually wants to give them credit for, thier "systems" - rods, reels, lures, leaders, hooks etc. I feel are top notch quality for the purpose.

Being a fisherman with, numerous rods and reel sets, used for just one task and one task only, I GET IT. (like owning a alloy boat)

They get loads of info/feedback, from the Japanese markets, and tackle these days is driven by what the Japanese have envisioned, example being Owner hooks, Lucky Craft bass lures, Mega-bass rods, Evergreen tackle. They are much more in the "enthusiest bracket" I think, than Americans. Always taking it to another level. "have ya seen the finish on some of those Japanese bass lures lately, or these free-style jigs??"Unbelievable!

There's hardly anything new in the world today, and nothing all that new in the fishing world either. Just the ability to make it shinier, glossier, and lighter. To catch fisherman?????

Yeah, and then so are those NON ALLOY boats- to make a little man a big man, fancy cars - to catch some chicks, and high dollar golf clubs and balls - to catch a country cluber.

I have no one to leave all my crap too. And don't care what happens to it all when I'm gone. I will probably put in my will that everything goes to the Coastal Conservation Commission or something like that.

So while I'm here and playing, I'm gonna play with it all!
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Can I be in your will? :lol:

I'll make use of all your crap :wink:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You may need to start a charitable fishing organization......

Yeah, that photo is too cool, makin' his own lures is always better!

I've been studying both the jigging and Lucanus jigs since day one when I saw them on Tackletour.com at the Fred Hall show myself.

People want to jump all over Shimano, but they are bringing knock-offs or whatever anyone wants to call them to us, here.

I've been all over Japanese web sites and they ain't Knock-offs really, they're the system, only better.

Here's more. Compare these to Shimano's products:

I have 4 of these I'll be trying for Seabass and Snapper, DAIWA PIRATES:

These are like the ones Dennis Braid is importing and calling them something else:
http://www.eastackle.com/lures-madai-jigs-c-9_6_60.html

I JUST LOVE PLAYING WITH NEW STUFF!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic