AK Help Please

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

AK Help Please

Post by AlloyToy »

Hi Everyone,

Planning my trip to AK for next July. Will be visiting a good friend stationed on Kodiak Island. My plan is to fly from here (Mass) but am unsure of "what or how" to do this.

Mass to Seattle to Anchorage then puddle jump to the Island??? It will be a group of 4 of us.....

It will only be a 10 day trip. We will be fishing from one of the many Pacific boats they have in their fleet for whatever will bite.....

Also want to do some site seeing.....

:thumbsup:
welder
Site Admin

Re: AK Help Please

Post by welder »

AT, most flights will take you to SEATAC [ Seattle/Tacoma] ten to Anchorage and yes you will need a puddle jumper to the Island. It will be a full day of travel each way.
I can tell you this , it takes longer to Fly from SeaTac to Anchorage tan it does from Dallas to SeaTac.

If you want to bring your catch home , get it frozen hard and put it in a cooler or insulated shipping box and check it as baggage ....it's cheaper and faster to get it home.

Be sure to buy your tickets at least 6 weeks ahead for better pricing, July is one of the busy tourist months and they CHARGE for it. Seats at the wing exits have more leg room but they don't recline. I go for a isle seat so I can hang a leg out [ watch out for the drink cart] and I only have someone on one side of me.
If you don't have a passport , get one , it makes life a whole lot easier.

Have FUN, Take TWO cameras and rip some lips.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
drookit

Post by drookit »

Something different. Fly in to Anchorage. Rent car, drive to Homer / take in the sights along the way, turn car in at Homer (think there's a Hertz there but I'd confirm that) take the ferry from Homer to Kodiak. Return trip, fly Kodiak to Anchorage, then L48. Or do a reverse of the trip.

Ken
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

This sounds like a fantastic trip! Kodiak has some fantastic fishing and the scenery is spectacular. You will burn a solid day in travel each way. The drive to homer and then the ferry trip would be a neat experience if it would work with your travel dates. Personally, I would want to spend as much time on the island as possible. If you will have some time in Anchorage, it would be nice to meet and grab a local brew. :beer:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
drookit

Post by drookit »

Just got to thinking you could fish the Kenai Peninsula coming or going from Homer with the itinerary too.
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

All the coast guard guys fly from Boston or Florida to Minnesota and then fly to AK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic