Youth Hunt Woody

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Youth Hunt Woody

Post by AlloyToy »

My son got invited by a buddy and his Lab to participate in the youth duck season. Up at 4AM and into the blind we went. At sun up it was like planes flying in and out at Logan. Neither my son or I have ever duck hunted so this was a pretty cool experience. My son being the shooter was a bit hesitant as this was all new to him. On the third flock to fly over he finally connected with his first hen wood duck using a 12 ga semi auto.......back at it this Saturday

Great quality father/son time
Attachments
wood duck.JPG
wood duck.JPG (69.72 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Youth Hunt Woody

Post by JETTYWOLF »

RIGHT ON.....I could really get into Duck Hunting if it was "handier".

Any chance to "don" the camo is really cool. Is it cool there?

Its hat as all hell here :!: :!: :!:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Duck Hunting can be VERY addicting , get ready for....Hey Dad," I NEEEEEED this new shotgun" oh and it's on sale.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

welder wrote:Duck Hunting can be VERY addicting , get ready for....Hey Dad," I NEEEEEED this new shotgun" oh and it's on sale.
Les funny you should say that....got the call last night :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: "Dad the new sale flyer came out for Cabela's"

Capt. Dave 50 degree mornings right now....... :thumbsup:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Youth hunts are the coolest things......... Geeze out here there is a program for thr kids to hunt the top zones in the most prime of times. AT do you/son hunt White Tail Deer???????????
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Very nice! What a great way to spend a morning.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

mojomizer wrote:Youth hunts are the coolest things......... Geeze out here there is a program for thr kids to hunt the top zones in the most prime of times. AT do you/son hunt White Tail Deer???????????
mojo we do hunt whitetail as well....I like black powder season the most......usually cold and some snow on the ground. I try to stay out of the woods during shotgun season...too many A$$'s in the woods shooting the place up. Unfortunately we have lost a lot of our hunting land thanks to the "green" people :skillet: :skillet: :skillet:

No rifle season here and bow hunting is something I don't have time for because of HS soccer for the oldest and coaching travel soccer for the youngest :mrgreen: However my son in the above picture is deadly with a bow up to 40 yards. He has been spending a lot of time at the 3D shoots and has gotten himself quite a collection of metals for the youth shoots :thumbsup:

For that sake I haven't even had time to finish reading your AK trip posts :hammer:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Ohhh my....... 3D archery is the source man. It is so much fun..... We have outdoor shoots out here monthly. Was trying to get the girls interested :popcorn: Had my NFAA accreditation and all. These days black powder technology is pretty much like a rifle.......... one shot one kill theory at it's finest.

Still waiting for Scott to post Thursday on AAB Alaska 2012. I should write about my Wednesday experience though. The tuna discussion with Sculpin's Bamfield excited me too much :sarge:

Too cool......... AAB dads are some of the best I have ever seen :thumbsup: Coaching High school Soccer and youth soccer travel. That is alot of time. Hopefully full scholarships in the future?????????? :clap: Carolmizer was a really excellent Soccer Coach for AYSO........ out here it is just too cutthroat for my taste.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Right on! Great way to spend a morning for sure :thumbsup:

Congrats to your son on his first duck and to you for being a great dad :highfive: .

Duck hunting is very exciting in my books. I only get out a couple of times a year but really look forward to it every time. Goose hunting is really cool too especially later in the season when they smartin up and you need to have a really good caller in the crew and a very lifelike spread of decoy's.

It is so cool when the ducks come right in and lock up. Ducks are very agile as well and I liken them too F14's where as geese are more like slower passenger plane lol. Both are very sporting birds to hunt.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

This weekend (long weekend) was a mixed bag. Sat. AM woke up and out the door at 5am and we headed to and area then posted up on the edge of some flooded timber :thumbsup: Nice calm cool morning. Ten minutes after shooting light the woodies moved in in flocks of 4 to 10 birds. Today was another youth hunt day. My son wanted to Cristin his new Mossberg 20ga pump :thumbsup: After the first few flocks flew and a couple missed shots. He got acclimated and shot his limit of woodies one of which was "banded", and one beautiful mature male :thumbsup: Is there any bird more pretty than a mature drake :clap:

From there tired and hungry we quickly changed and loaded up the truck and headed to RI to fish the boat or surf. With the unsettled weather we decided the surf was the way to go. Arrived on the beach to find acres of small/medium sized blues pushing bait onto the beach!! For three hours we chased feeding frenzies up and down the beach casting small poppers at them :thumbsup: Hate catching blues but love catching them in the surf.....where I "cut my teeth as a teen" :beer:
Attachments
IMG-20121006-00072.JPG
IMG-20121006-00072.JPG (141.73 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
IMG-20121006-00071.JPG
IMG-20121006-00071.JPG (117.26 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
blue.JPG
blue.JPG (68.9 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic