Our buddy Goatram needs your thoughts & prayers about now

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
Chaps
Donator '09

Our buddy Goatram needs your thoughts & prayers about now

Post by Chaps »

Apparently his hip replacement surgery got infected and they've had to go back in for a do-over. I think John convinced the surgeon that his meat axe was the appropriate tool for the job but they might not have sterilized it properly. Anyway, if you have time shoot him a pm or email, that boy is in a world of hurt right now.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Our buddy Goatram needs your thoughts & prayers about no

Post by kmorin »

Chaps,

unfortunately staph infections in post-op patients is pretty high in hospitals, nasty stuff; several of my close family have been infected in the last year and in two of three the infection is as bad or worse than the original health problem.

We'll have to add him to our prayers, that can be a really rough road.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Thanks. I have 5 weeks till they tell me I am clear of the Staph Infection or they will cut out the titanium Hip Parts and wait for it to all heal back up while still pumping in the IV Solution. Kevin may your family members recover as well. Nasty stuff and the drugs are as nasty as the infection.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Goat, the food aint that great, stop going back.
Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

John, I know that healing is mainly hanging out- not doing; so why not consider a run at http://www.delftship.net/ Delftship? Simple marine design software that works for skiffs or big boats. It has a free version, not all the features of the more expensive versions but it would give tools to shape some hulls and burn some hours confined to quarters?

Sketchup is another PC based software application with a trial version. This one has more thousands of tutorials on-line than there are salmon in the Pacific.

Both would allow you some 'project time', neither would take any pencil or paper or drawing table in your 'cell' so they'd likely be something you can spend time with when you take a break from reading or whatever (else) you're doing to fill the watch.

I have some (old version) tutorials of how to 'get started' with D'Ship that would take a few hours to read and keystroke into the program, there'd be a little conversion of my location of the tools and the current location of the tool but the software tools themselves have stayed mainly the same.

I'll volunteer to reply to any 'how to' questions on either piece of software, and either or both would be nice to have handy for any project ahead. Lots of folks have no time to spend to learn software so you could say that this enforced period of inactivity may be a good opportunity? 5 weeks an hour or so a day and you'd be opening a marine design office!!! :clap:

Yep, those PICC line drug regimes are hard on the soul- let us know how we can provide distractions- we're already praying.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
goatram

Post by goatram »

Thanks all.

Kevin my next build will be a 14' work skiff. My 12' lake boat has modified sides that make it harder to swamp when I use it for crabbing. This boat needs to go away. I do not have a title on it and every year I write a letter to the DMV asking that me as the SON IN Law of the ownerto be allowed to register the boat. It is a 1960 starcraft. I purchased it from a friend that used it for 10 years fishing the fresh water lakes around here.

Do you own a cut plan that i Can use for one boat? I want a 25" tall gunnel with a straight stern. no cutdown for the motor. 14' over all length. 25 hp, seats four or so. K&K of Bellingham will be the choice for my cutter. 5086 plate, 125"
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

No John I don't have cut file for that description of skiff; but if you'll list the rest of its details and preferences we can sure make one.

Is this flat bottom, cupped or V'd? What speed do you expect of the 25hp leg? Seats as thwarts or along sides, or what? Little more info and we can start looking at sketches. What chine width do you favor for four bodies?

When you say "straight stern" you're describing the line at the top of the transom? and you're planning on a 25" extended length leg?

Its good to look forward to the next build!!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
goatram

Post by goatram »

kmorin wrote:No John I don't have cut file for that description of skiff; but if you'll list the rest of its details and preferences we can sure make one.

Is this flat bottom, cupped or V'd? What speed do you expect of the 25hp leg? Seats as thwarts or along sides, or what? Little more info and we can start looking at sketches. What chine width do you favor for four bodies? More of a lake boat with self bailing deck, V'd, chined from the bow to stern, width consistent for the design Specmar's hull 1020 is what I am thinking of. Seats will be set across the boat "Thwarts" bent and welded in. used as storage and a cooler. Speed with a 25? and would a 40 hp be to much motor? Power will be a used Yamaha http://www.specmar.com/adobe/1020views.pdf My idea looks like this design. It looks like this boat allows for a jet. Benefit of said flat on the bottom?

When you say "straight stern" you're describing the line at the top of the transom? and you're planning on a 25" extended length leg? Yes Straight. yes I will use a 25" leg. Our local launch is 2 miles from the house has a NW wind that blows in the afternoon. The launch is unprotected and located on the eastern shore. The west side is over a mile west. The water shallows up quick from 200' 250 yards off shore to low tide being 2' deep 100 yards off shore This afternoon wind creates 2' wind chop drives against the fixed fishing pier located 15' south of the launch. Swamping boats in the late afternoon if your not careful.

Its good to look forward to the next build!!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK

Yes the next build is always something forward too. Specmar has the basic design with a few tweaks it would work.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17

Post by 3f8 »

All my best for a speedy recovery John.
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Hope your recovery goes well Goat :thumbsup:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic