How to Build a Small Business !

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

How to Build a Small Business !

Post by kmorin »

I'm not sure if this is true, I see it happen in my life over and over, but it may not happen in others' lives? I think there is a guaranteed way to insure your small business, whether full or part time is overwhelmed with work, customers and demands for service.

In my case, being semi-retired (not voluntarily but I'm divorcing so it comes somewhat with my territory); the AAB.com is partly one of my solutions to building a small business.

Background:

I do a little welding now and then, sometimes I take on a skiff or other interesting project if it looks like I will learn something I'm interested in learning. Other times I do some computer drawing/drafting/designing or illustrating. All of these things can bring a few dollars in to fill the 'soup pot' but as with any one-man band- you can only work from dawn to dusk or you're burning the next day in the last.

On the other hand, if you're not working full time, if you're more or less relying on word-of-mouth instead of hanging out your shingle and traveling around to promote your services.... then work comes in surges or cycles, its not quite as steady as it might be if you had a full time clientele.

So what has this to do with AAB.com's Forum?

Well, any time I take on a subject or two, start a thread or even begin to regularly reply to a topic's content that I think would make an interesting series of posts with illustrations (my primary recreations are b building skiffs or drawing for the site); the work list goes up fast. If I decide to pick a topic of a one off builder's boat and make some drawings and put up some text related to that area of metal boat building: I get more work to do than I can handle- right out of the blue.

I think this is a pattern that may be so reliable that I suggest you simply volunteer to do something that has no revenue attached, something for the neighbors or friends. Then as soon as you get involved trying to help; the phone will ring off the hook, the email will catch fire and the formerly relaxing time of doing a little work "here and there" will be gone.

This happens so regularly that I've decided to see if I can harness the surges? Maybe just as I'm getting through with a project I should come on the site's Forum and start a series of posts and just wait confidently for the tide (of work) to come on in.....?

Only trouble is trying to get the time back on the threads, here, to finish the subject's content enough to make a useful reference when or if others came to read the site and try to find solid take away's in the knowledge base.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15
Your location: Victoria, BC

Re: How to Build a Small Business !

Post by Gypseas »

I believe it is called Karma
cheers :beer:
choyero
Your location: El Pescadero, B.C.S.

Post by choyero »

Follow your bliss... the rest will come accordingly.

Cheers!
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

Wonderful thoughts and follow your heart. :thumbsup:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You mean AAB.com readers, visitors, members, and associated lurkers are immediately jumping on the Kevin wagon looking for you to do something for them, free or otherwise?

If so,

""OKAY AAB'ERS, I'LL BE TAKING ALL ORDERS FOR FISHING CHARTER WHEN YOU COME FROM BFE TO J-VILLE FLORIDA. SEE MY PERSONAL REPORTS, AND DAILY BLOG REPORTS, VIDEO, HOW-TO's, LOCATED UNDER SAID NAME "JETTYWOLF UNDER FISHING GUIDES" AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS FORUM"".

ya mean like that Kevin :?: :?:

I believe you are sort of a little off track.

To make a successful business be in full or part-time is to have something people want, AND/OR if ya wanna make a million, start out with 2 million! :rotfl:

I already know members pass right thru J-ville Fl......to go to REAL Florida to vacation. And yes, I can live with that. If I was not busy, I'd take them out fishing for free, or at least for a hot meal. If I was in the freezing NORTHLANDS, I wouldn't stop here either where jackets are still required.

But if you live on the east coast. YOU MUST pass thru J-ville to go to nicer places south. You have too :!:

I capitalize on weekends and fridays.....NO ONE want to go during the week and if they do they get a break on rates. But on Friday thru Sunday's they are paying BIG time. And I can always count on the week being....

-fish Friday, Sat, Sunday...rest a day or so. Pick up a weekday, then jam out another three days in a row.

Are you stating the Business you get COMES FROM HERE????

How many other members are supporting a part of their business here.

Welder Bob?? Sell any boatbuilds off AAB??

I know the Wooldridge folks must have by now.....

CERTAINLY NOT Poo-poo'ing it. I'm glad to hear it. I was just in the dark, if so. (And yeah baby, we're getting closer to THT where people get plenty of customers. It's in the wide open over there.

And Glad someone gets something MORE than typers cramp, like I do. :rotfl: :rotfl:
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

Jettywolf,

what I was saying is if you want more fishing business, then.... just volunteer to do an online project here at the AAB.com Forum. If you announce that you will do a four part video series, all about 10 15 minutes, and then give a topic, start writing your script and editing, maybe post the first one.... all of a sudden you won't have time to do the video series.

I was saying that each time I plan to spend time on the Forum on a series of posts, making some illustrations and writing the sequences- I get busy, in fact I get real busy. So using that coincidence or related event as the 'rule' I was supposing that to get more business all you have to do is volunteer to make a series of posts.... or vid's or what have you.

My idea was that in order to be busy in his business, take on some project & commit to work outside the business, maybe volunteer to do something else here at AAB.com? But as soon as you start using up the free time to help out at the site, regardless of the topics you post or the videos you shoot- then is when I get so busy I'm swamped with work.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

OH.....that's clearer!

Absolutely....each time I have ever entered a tournament, was going to volunteer for the River Keeper, or go do some R&D in another county.

I can't.

I get busy too.

Funny how it works that way. That's a given :!: The minute I want to acid wash the hull sides, I get a call for the next day to fish. So I have to go,go,go like a mad man to get "crap" done.

I still wonder if anyone here that builds boats, sells boats, etc. has benefited financially from AAB.com......
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

JETTYWOLF wrote:OH.....that's clearer!

I still wonder if anyone here that builds boats, sells boats, etc. has benefited financially from AAB.com......
Glenn Wooldridge has sold a few boats from here. I think your Dream Builder; Pacific Skiffs has sold a few as well. BOE Marine has sold me a Bunch of Stuff for my Boat. Pacific Power Train has some good things for sale. I already had stuff on order when He became a member and started to Advertise here. Mike Miller has sold a few cleaning tables and other stuff here as well. So I think Yes is the Answer to your Question. :clint:
Last edited by goatram on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
choyero
Your location: El Pescadero, B.C.S.

Post by choyero »

The most important thing to remember is this forum helps folks make educated decisions. Nothing better than a little education! :beer: Cheers!
gandrfab
Your location: Edgewater Fl

Post by gandrfab »

As I sit here patiently waiting for updates on this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5319

Good job, do what needs to be done. Fun projects can wait.
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Post by welderbob »

Hi Dave,
I've had several inquires from AAB. Its a long slow process to educate the buyer.I currently have a few members interested in something along the lines of a Rocksalt 24. And yes I know I'm behind on pictures of the 28 RockSalt . Selling aluminum boats on the eastcoast isn't easy. I'm also a little guy,its hard to work all day pay the bills, talk to customers and then find time to get on the internet to promote more business. It the nature of small business.
It did hurt to see someone buy a 32 Metalshark right here in my own back yard. But in all fairness to the guy, I don't advertise, he wouldn't know I was here . We could have built him a 34 RS for a lot less money and we're right here to stand behind our product.
On another note Dave I'll be in FL in the middle of May. I have to be in Tampa, but I'm trying to get away for a day or so to stop by and say hello.

Welderbob
dingahling
Donator ,15
Your location: new york

Post by dingahling »

A 26' Bill Lincoln designed CC built by Bob (WelderBob) is on my bucket list.
I like to buy local food and locally made boats.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy new at the moment so the V23HT in Greenport would have been a temporary cure for my two foot-itis. It sold before I could even take a gander at it. Damnit.

Well, I look forward to seeing Bob's 27' take shape and to the 24' he has in the works...
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

There's the fixer upper Pacific for 29K on the for sale forum by BLM yachts......a good starter for someone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic