Turkey Hunt

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Turkey Hunt

Post by AlloyToy »

My son and I participated in the Mass youth turkey hunt again this year. Up and out the door at 4:45 AM in pouring rain. On his own put 8 birds to sleep the night before. We set the pop up blind in the woods off the field we were hunting and set up the decoy 25 yds from the blind out in the field. 5:45 they are coming out of the trees and landing in the field. Couple calls but we just could not get those birds to turn to us. We watched them pick the field for food for about 30 min

My son made another call and right behind the blind we hear a loud gobble.Never heard this tom come in. He waited patiently to see if the tom would come over the stone wall behind us and show himself. Sure enough he gobbles again and starts making his way over the stone wall and towards the field. Paying most of his attention waiting for that tom he didn't see the pair of jakes that were making a bee-line for the decoy out in front. He now had a choice to make wait out the tom or take the 25 yd shot that was right in front of him POW 1 shot with his Mossberg 20ga Bantam 14lb jake did a cartwheel before saying goodnight. Son let out a loud YEAH!! Very proud of him and all his hard work, and skill and he was rewarded with a nice healthy bird.
Attachments
turkey 4-26-14.JPG
turkey 4-26-14.JPG (73.55 KiB) Viewed 8135 times
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Re: Turkey Hunt

Post by Sabs28 »

Very nice :thumbsup: Ever have deep fried turkey??? MMMMMM Good. :beer:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

anything deep fried is good :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

AlloyToy wrote:anything deep fried is good :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Can't argue with that. :sarge:
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Congrats to your son! Nice Job and I know a lot of old hunters who wouldn't have been that patient... :clap:

as an aside have U guys seen the videos of the frozen turkeys getting deep fried??? :hammer:
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

That's a sporty bird! Congratulations on what sounds like a great time.

About the frozen fried turkeys, never fails that some loon pulls that stunt here a few times a Year and always with near catastrophic consequences. The recent ones go the extra mile too with setups on wooden decks!!!! :hammer:

This is Renaissance Festival time here and for a few Weeks, you can go experience the debauchery of Medieval life with giant Turkey Legs and a giant mug of Mead, kissing maidens, smarta$$ed jesters and jokesters, Wizards, and of course you gotta have some fighting and jousting!

Enjoy that bird, do share how y'all decide how to cook it.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Thanks guys :thumbsup: My dad was a fire fighter he has plenty of turkey fryer stories. We use ours to boil maple sap :clap:

This was his first bird. They do a big cookout for all the youth involved in the sport and award them with pins and prizes from the National Turkey Federation

I slice the breast meat into 1/4" bacon strips and brush it with marinade then grill it........absolutely delicious

This is a tough time of year Stripers are migrating, clamming is good, boat preparation, turkey season......oh and all the home projects :mrgreen:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

My ole "Sea-Daddy" Capt Randall.......RIP, was also a massive Turkey guy and brought some breasts over one night and we did them on the grill.
Awesome, marinated in some kind of special sauce it was like no Turkey I've ever had. It was great.
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Way to go AT. Can you make clam sauce with turkey? :beer:
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

clambo wrote:Way to go AT. Can you make clam sauce with turkey? :beer:
Mike I'm sure if you get the clams and I bring the turkey woe could come up with one heluva meal :beer:
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

After re-reading the thread, I gotta hit the Waffle House 'cuz Ima starving! :mrgreen:

Y'all keep that clam sauce...not a fan....but I'd bet a white wine reduced gravy from the catch pan would be yummie! Back when I was a golfer, many of the courses have native populations of turkey and they are an awesome sight when showing their full plumage. Again, congratulations to your Son, here's to many more!
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic