Kmorin

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
welder
Site Admin

Kmorin

Post by welder »

Are you doing OK with the Fire in your back yard, keep us filled in and stay SAFE.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Fire on the Kenai Penisula

Post by kmorin »

Welder, all here at AAB.com Forum, the "Funny River" fire is twenty miles away at its closest to me, but the winds have been howling for a few days, (but thankfully calm today) so it could be here in a day or continue to head away from us?

I'm fine, at this time!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Re: Fire on the Kenai Penisula

Post by Lucky Louie »

kmorin wrote:Welder, all here at AAB.com Forum, the "Funny River" fire is twenty miles away at its closest to me, but the winds have been howling for a few days, (but thankfully calm today) so it could be here in a day or continue to head away from us?

I'm fine, at this time!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Hopefully it will die out or go the OTHER way from yall!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Re: Kmorin

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Maybe ya'll just need a freak snow storm.....it is alaska. To us in FLA. I usually picture snow when I think AK. :rotfl: Jus jokin.

I certainly hope you'll be okay.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Fire on the Kenai Penisula

Post by kmorin »

Jettywolf, Louie, welder, AAB.comForum,

I live North of the fire, and we've just had two days of light rain, slowing down the fire's expansion. On the map below, I'm up (North of fire at the mouth of the Kenai River ) near the airport symbol in Kenai, but the couple hundred thousand acre fire is outlined in red is anyone is curious?

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/live-jour ... s/26119056
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInform ... 58cd248dea

Just had a call from a close friend in the fire area and his side of the fire, N/NE (upper middle of fire area) edge of the fire, and he reported there were sufficient back fires to control that edge, the line of the fire was kept from the hundreds of homes in his area, so things are still close but not in immediate danger.

We're in the clear for now, everyone would welcome a snow storm Capt'n Dave, even a little early fall monsoon wouldn't be scorned. This has been a warm dry spring so the conditions are just right to burn the place down.

Facts not reported about fires in this area.

This land is a Federal 'reserve' not much, if any, private land inside the fire area, and the moose in this land as well as all the predators that live on them or the other prey animals all have cycles where there are more or less of one or another species. The moose eat willow brush tips but when that brush grows above 8' (it's called willow until it becomes 'aspen' then 'cottonwood' -here in this area) they can't reach the branches to eat their main browse. So.. the moose move to recently burned areas to get at the low and open brush that grows up immediately following a fire, and that gives their population a big boost for a decade or two.

In this area, the feds and State fish and feathers' employees all want to see the occasional fire, so the moose get a population boost. If the fires can be contained on the Fed 'reserve' then no harm no foul and the moose population therefore the wolves, bears and other species will all get a big boost from the coming of new, easily reached 'moose food'.

Historically this same area has burned out lots of times since the US got the state in the 1860's and records began in the 1900's. So if we can keep the homes from getting burned down, everyone is happy and the renewal of this very short term forest makes all the game species restart their populations' cycles as well.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic