Flooding in Louisana

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
welder
Site Admin

Flooding in Louisana

Post by welder »

Hope all are well and safe. I have heard from two of our members [Don and Daniel] and they are safe but have a bunch of clean up to do.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Flooding in Louisana

Post by Chaps »

I have a buddy in lafayette said it was pretty nasty, trapped in his house but fortunately water stayed out, most of his neighbors not so lucky
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I have a pal in Atchafalaya. His house was surrounded by water but he sits about 2 feet higher...some neighbors not so lucky had 21" at his rain gauge.
[image]http://lanceowners.hoop.la/fileSendActi ... rue/1c.jpg[/image]
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

Yes it is a HELL of a mess! We got just a few inches in our house. But of course that means all flooring was ruined. Just enough to make us cut the wall board/paneling and such to dry out the walls. We have a LOT to do in order to get the house back up to snuff.

But we were blessed as there are a whole LOT of folks who lost EVERYTHING. Our stuff is minor in comparison. Although we were outside the 100year flood level and were NOT required to buy "Flood insurance" by the mortgage company over 20 years ago when we bought the house, we bought structure and contents flood insurance anyway. (And have carried it all along) The majority of folks that were also outside the 100 year flood zone did not have flood insurance. So they are in bad shape. All they can hope for is help from FEMA. (Which ain't much)

OVER 25 inches of rain in 48 hours. (YES 25!!) And more rain at a lighter rate for another two days. Some of yall don't get that much in a year....

The two rivers we live in between BOTH crested six feet higher than ever before. They are calling it a "Thousand year flood.

We were in the process of moving out of that house and into the house I grew up in. So we had a dry place that we were living in. But we still had a bunch of stuff there.

I have been "Stretched out like a dead Giraffe" since it started to flood. Spent three nights at the plant as the roads were flooded between me and the plant. Of course there was only one other Plant Supervisor that was able to get to and from work. So we would up holding the fort down so to speak. He worked nights and I worked days. Of all the operators there was only enough to cover all the jobs for two shifts. So the had to also work straight days and the other nights. We BARELY had enough to cover the jobs...... It was interesting and tiring to say the least...... (The pillow top bunk bed in my office was a LOT better/more comfortable than the cots we used to use for Hurricane coverage :-) ) Of the 75 employees at our plant, 40 something had houses flooded......

It has been a hell of a ride so far.........................................
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I am glad to hear that you are in pretty good shape considering. The pics on TV and FB are massive issues for sure. Looks like many folks are just getting after the clean-up and some good old community fellowship. Our thoughts are with you. Is your plant something that needs to operate around the clock...I suspect it is the way you talked about it! Be safe!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

pjay, Don works at a Power plant that makes Steam and Electricity and yes it is a 24-7-365 operation.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

L'Louie, I'm praying Thanksgiving that y'all's house was "more or less" spared being tested as a submarine.

I'm proud to hear you're keepin' the lights on for others.

Cheers, from the blessedly high and dry in Alaska
Kevin Morin
Kenai AK
kmorin
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

Good for them keeping it going!!! Dedication. Now I get the "Lights on"!!!
Lucky Louie
Contributor

Post by Lucky Louie »

Thanks yall!

Yes we kept the electricity and steam flowing. It was interesting at times, but we stayed on. Lots of folks lost power due to trees falling, substations getting flooded and such. (T&D folks fix those)

And yes it is a 24/7/365 plant. Our main customer is the Exxon/Mobil refinery and chem plant in Baton Rouge. If we go down, they go down. (And that ain't pretty)

Met with the insurance adjuster and my contractor this afternoon. As luck would have it they BOTH came about the same time. that worked out well..... The contractor is a company that has done work for both us and my Mom and Dad. Someone who has proven their quality of work and trustworthiness to us many times. So I we are very comfortable with them. (Lester can tell yall about our "Little driveway" they did for us )

Now just in the wait and see mode as far as the insurance. We again are fortunate we opted to buy structure and contents flood insurance. MANY if not most did not have either.

Anyway, we are just pluggin along and rolling with the flow so to speak. There isn't any use getting ourselves all worked up or down. Whatever will be will be.....

Thanks for the well wishes!

Don
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic