Shellfish Time

Let's See Your Alloy Working
Kelper

Shellfish Time

Post by Kelper »

Fit 20 shrimp pots, line, and 5 good sized crab pots in the "skiff" today to make a big set.. Pard asked if it would all fit..... (crab pots not in picture)

I'm hoping we score a load of shrimp/crabs.
NUKE

going out?

Post by NUKE »

Wow,Alaska weather looks mild ,is it normal for this time of year? It is snowing in Maine today ,no signs of spring in Maine yet.
how many days set do you use on your traps? what size are the shrimp? Gulf of Maine shrimp are tiny and market price so low not worth spending fuel to get them !
NUKE
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

2-3 days typical soak time for me, but I heard of guys pulling in as little as 4 hours. The prawns are huge but I don't have good pics on file.. It was very calm when I took the pic. When I actually went to make the set, it was raging. I got all the crab set and 10 of the shrimp down before I had to bail back to town. I might have to pull today, as it's calling for 45kt winds tomorrow.
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

:D Nuke said: "Wow,Alaska weather looks mild ,is it normal for this time of year?"

Yes, but only in the Southeast. Take a look at a map and see how BIG Alaska really is. Kelper is in the Southeast which is closer to Seattle than most of Alaska. In fact we have FIVE different fishing regions each with it's own set of regulations. Here is a picture taken at Whittier last weekend by another forum member.

[img][img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh10 ... amp202.jpg[/img]

It is not quite summer yet in South Central Alaska.

Kelper - I did not realize you could have 20 shrimp pots in the SE. We can only have 5 on the boat in PWS.

SB[/img]
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Our regs are 20 shrimp and 5 crab pots per vessel.

SE Alaska is completely different than Anchorage/Interior AK. I love the SE because a guy can still get out all year if he can put up with some rain.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Kelper,

I'm glad to see an avid Pacific fella here and taking pics. I'm in Florida, and am always interested in seeing Alaska pix.

Keep it up. :!:

Of all the pix and all the boats on AAB.com, the most enjoyable for me are the ones from YOU guys.
fishontop

Post by fishontop »

I agree. I love southeast Alaska. I have been to Petersburg 5 times and love it there. I could move there in a heartbeat, but I would be alone. Wife doesn't want to play.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic