The Other Alloy

Let's See Your Alloy Working
Kelper

The Other Alloy

Post by Kelper »

I've been posting about my Pacific.. But I haven't posted about the boat I practically live on during the summers. It's a 27' Almar with twin 130's. Super nice boat that I captain for one of the finer lodges up here in Alaska. I spend most of my time on the outer coast of Prince of Wales fishing the open ocean. We fish in pretty much any weather and some summers we get pounded by the unpredictable Alaskan weather. I'll run this boat 70ish days this summer with 4 clients aboard most days. It's a fun challenge to keep finding limits daily despite what the weather and fish are doing.
Pic of Boat, Clients, and me.

Early August fish rack for 3 clients:

Fishing can be spectacular in my area if you stay on the fish. With a group of 4 clients the boat can bring in 4 King Salmon, 24 Coho Salmon, 8 Halibut, 4 Lingcod (1 or 2 Annual Limit per person..can't remember), 4 Red Snapper, (2 Annual limit per person) and 24 Black Bass. That is a load of fish! Most days we do fill out limits.
After a summer of slaying fish and waking up almost daily at 2AM, I am soo worn out and ready for hunting season. My first charter this year is May 20th, so it's coming quickly!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Nice!!!! I like those Almar's
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

It's a solid boat that was custom 5 or 6 years ago. It has a 24 degree dead rise so it's really good in the chop, but it's a pain the the butt to keep trimmed. I'm thinking a 20 degree dead rise would be perfect for offshore fishing up here.

This was a memorable day last summer. This is a combination of my boat and my bosses boat. It's a small 2 boat family run operation I work for. A few kings, 60ish coho's, ling, the rest of the halibut and rockfish are not pictured and it was a true haul. The poor fish cutters had their work cut out for them. The 180lb halibut on the scale the lady hooked into with her light salmon gear. It took her a long time to get the boat but she sure was proud of that fish!

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

I see a few of those Almars out of Seward. They sure build a bomber boat! They were on my short list when I was researching cusom boats. You sure work hard, Kelper! 2:00am wake up calls! OUCH! Keep the pics coming.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Kelper,

SIGN MY AZZ UP.....I'll meet at 2:15 am for a "cup of joe" and a twinky and lets go!

I'll bring the Vienna "Snausages". 8)

Should I bring my Shimano Lucanus Jigs?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic