Quintrex?

Sell or Trade your Alloy boat here
slug420

Quintrex?

Post by slug420 »

my brother saw this locally:
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/1203941050.html

Looks a little different than your typical AAB. I dont know what to make of it. Based on the quintrex au website this could be an excellent deal (to the point of maybe being a scam that will be removed soon).

thoughts?
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Re: Quintrex?

Post by aluminumdreamer »

I just sold my Quintrex 150 dory a month and half ago for $6500. The boat you are showing the listing for is a bit more substantial than what I had. My boat was a 2005 with a 40hp Nissan and a side console. This seems like a good deal.
Attachments
boat3.jpg
boat3.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 16401 times
slug420

Post by slug420 »

awful big gap between this 18' for 7500 and a typical used pacific 19 (if you can find one) for ~30-35k. Shall I assume "you get what you pay for" holds true in this instance?

Do Quintrexes have self bailing decks? I dont see any scuppers.

edit: your boat looks much nicer IMO. I think the all alloy look is much more becoming.....this 18' looks like something from the 70s.
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

I agree the painted hull makes it look cheap, and 70's. In my opinion these are good boats, they are not a Pacific but but they are welded aluminum. I don't think it is self bailing, I know my 15' was not, and that was one thing I really wanted. If you can't afford a high end welded boat this is the way to go as far as I am concerned. Way better than any riveted or fglass hull. Thats my 2 cents. :mrgreen:
shansgonefishin

Post by shansgonefishin »

Hi Fella's,

I believe I purchased the boat discussed here? The link is no longer active but it was a 2003 QUINTREX 18ft, 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke with 135hrs out of Rhode Island @ $7500?

I can happily report it was not a scam, and I could not believe my luck. I had been purposely looking for these boats up in the USA as they have a solid following back home in Australia.

I was skeptical at first as all decals had been removed (logo as well!) and first impressions where "something" had happened to the boat?

Regardless, that price was too good to be true and the owner didn't believe I was going to jump on a plane the next day and fly up from the Cayman Islands to look at it, I was more worried he wouldn't believe me and sell before I got there!

Aside from the decals missing it it in A1 condition - and I should have paid twice it's listed price to be honest...

We have since had it transported down to Cayman and have just chalked up 100 trouble free hours in her. I ordered the original decals out from Oz and at the same time sent him the listing and queried it's value back home (Western Australia). He could not believe it either and told me as listed it would sell in his yard somewhere around the $35 - $39K mark!

Just to respond to the questions here abouts:

It has a self draining deck with scuppers aft on both sides.

The hull is 4mm and sides 3mm. The hull is Quintrex's "Millenium Hull", something they spent a
few zillion $$$ on getting right and have to say for a small boat holds her own in most stuff.

Jetty - I believe for an 18 footer you would be hard pressed to make "more space", not sure where else?

Yes it's painted. To be honest I am happy for it. Not to keen on frying eggs on the gunnel if ya know what I mean.... hate the scrathes that will surely come but good enough for me.

Since it's arrival we have caught a few good Wahoo, a White and Blue Marlin in her... not to mention re-installing the decals!

Updated photos of the boat (November 2010)

If anyone is interested I made a little video on Utube of the Blue, just search "Marlin Grand Cayman". I was on my own so the footage is not so flash, had it to the boat after fighting it into darkness before he busted off on the motor. I was so stuffed I didn't care!!!

A new T Top is going on her for Xmas. The current Bimini is history after finding out the hard way how useless they are on a good fish. Stryker T Tops has what appears to be a great top for $999 and the wife gave it the nod after having a guts full of my whinging!!

Apologies for rattling on here! Great to find a place where I'm not the only "Tinny" nut!!!

Shan :beer:
Last edited by shansgonefishin on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Shan, rattle all you want , that's what were here for :thumbsup:

Post the video link up in the video link forum :beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

I saw that boat on CL for sale and thought to myself, what a smokin deal. I am a Quintrex fan, I had the 150 dory pictured above. I bought it brand new, and loved it. I just needed something bigger so thats why I have what I have now. Some day I would love to find another Widebody dory just for kickin around in. There were so many things I wanted to do to mine, but didn't have the means to do. Now I have a tig welder I wish I had that boat, I would do some serious cut, chop, weld, and make it what it could be.

I'd like to see some pictures of your boat, it should be sweat with a nice t-top. I had seen a boat just like yours a few years back when I had mine, and thought it was great. Good luck with it, and get some pictures up!

Nate :beer:
shansgonefishin

Cheers Nate, having drama's getting the images uploaded, only the shots taken up there on the BlackBerry when I purchased it up in RH are small enough for here. I will reset the camera and grab a few recent shots!
As Listed
As Listed
As Advertised.jpg (9.09 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Taking it for a trial in RH
Taking it for a trial in RH
IMG00169.jpg (46.48 KiB) Viewed 16041 times
By the way I got the hull plate thickness's wrong. It's actually 4mm on the bottom and 2mm on the sides. My bad.
fishonthebrain

Post by fishonthebrain »

Greetings! Am new to the AAB scene, but glad to have found this site! As a fellow Quintrex owner, this thread caught my eye. Bought a used Quintrex 139 wide body dory last December (08), after boating on a friend's for a couple of years. Found it on the internet (in FL) and had it shipped up here to Boston. Love it! After building and installing a new floor, launched it in July. Take it on the Charles River in Boston and around Boston Harbor. It's been a blast so far! Had it out in Boston Harbor on November 22nd, but have since called it quits for the season.

For kicks I occasionally google "quintrex craigslist" to see what's out there...the 150 on the cape caught my eye while it was for sale, as did the 18 footer in rhode island...clearly a “wicked good” deal!

Related, in case anyone's interested, there's a good looking 139 for sale right now in New Jersey...boat, motor and trailer for asking price of $3,999. I’ve told my fishing buddy, my neighbor and my girlfriend they should consider joining the fray, but they know someone whose got one (ha ha), so they aren’t biting.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/1502031395.html

Cheers! :beer:
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Welcome aboard. Lets see some pictures of that cool dory. I would like to find another one someday, just not in the market yet. There are a couple of guys around the Cape where I go out that have 140 and 15 dories, very practical in the estuaries around here. I used to take mine out in Cape Cod bay alot, and even out through the Chatham inlet out into the ocean on calm days.

I caught alot of fish and alot of lobsters with that little boat. My wife almost left me because of that boat also. :rotfl:

Nate :thumbsup:
shansgonefishin

Hey Fella's,

Good to chat with fellow Quinny owners ...past and present! Dory's (Dinghy's where I'm from) in the 13 - 15ft size range back in Oz are all over the place, in the 10 - 12 foot range even more so. I grew up in a Stacer 11 footer then Dad upped to a 13 footer that was alot of boat for a little Tinny. It's still in my Dad's yard ...it's probably 25 years old but he can't seem to part with it! But we went places we probably shouldn't have and had to bring that thing back in some orrible stuff but she always made it.

Snuck away at lunchtime and took a few snaps of my Quinny as she stands today. Can't wait for the T Top to get here! Any word's of advise, tips (insults... Jetty Wolf!!! ) etc would be great! :thumbsup:

Changes since arriving have been a JL amp/speaker package/Alpine deck, a second battery, the decals and putting up the Bimini. A few other bits and bobs here and there. Still have to get around to sussing the live bait tank pump but havn't had the need to use it as yet.

Nate - re the wife ....I hear ya mate!!!

Cheers
Shan
Quinny Fullview.JPG
Quinny Fullview.JPG (149.73 KiB) Viewed 15965 times
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

That is a good looking boat, you must have a great time with it. :thumbsup: Hope to see you stick with AAB and keep posting pictures. Some fish pictures would be awesome.

Don't get discouraged by others comments, every guys boat fits his purpose and his budget. My boat for one, isn't in tip top shape but it serves it's purpose well, and it is the boat of my dreams, and I hope you feel the same way about yours. :beer:

Good luck to you, tight lines mate.

Nate :thumbsup:
shansgonefishin

Good on ya Nate.

I will shoot out a few shots of the T Top once she's on and all setup ...and some fish - I know the T Top will be a certainty ha ha!!!

I saw ya big boat on AAB today, thats alot of room!! Nice boat mate.

As for the "other comments" - what can I say? One mans fruit is another's poison?

I'm personally not that into Pacific Boats - (hold on, I think there's a knock at the door :hammer: !!) Sure they look like they are tough as nails and I'm all over practical boats, but they look like my uncles old "Trailcraft" he had back in the early 80's and in comparison to say West Aussie built Razorline's, Assasins or one of the winner's of the Ozzie 2008/2009 boat of the year - "evolution boat builders" www.evolutionboatsonline.com (AND PAINTED!) the Pacific's are just not what I am used to!!

But I'm not gonna go out and tell a Pacific owner his boats better or worse than anyone's... I just may be wrong!!!!!!!

Shan
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

There are only 3 rules on this site .

One of them is , NO BASHING , period.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4&p=29#p29

I have removed a couple post in this thread tonight, enough said .

Now, I'm buying the BEER who's drinking ? :beer:

And I want to see more pictures of the Quint.
Lester,
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

Thanks for that Welder. :thumbsup: I thought we were all here for the the same reason. Aluminum/Alloy boats. Different sizes, shapes, colors, thats what makes the boating world go round.

Nate :beer:
shansgonefishin

Thanks Welder :clap: . Can't say no to beer so it's a Tylanol kinda day here in the Cayman!!!!

Imagine if all boats were the same - not much to yak about then? If there's a passion award around here it has to go Jettywolf- good on him :thumbsup:

A little off topic but just wanted to share a photo of the boat that won some serious awards in Australia. He's a one man band pretty much working out of a small Crayfishing town of probably 500-1000 a hundred miles north of Perth in Western Australia.
Winner of the 2009 Under 8m Boat - Evolution Boats
Winner of the 2009 Under 8m Boat - Evolution Boats
18plus_11[1].jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
Shan
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10

That is neat looking boat. The Aussie boats are so different from the American and Canadian built boats as far as looks go. I'm rather partial to the simple utilitarian type boats. I'm not real crazy about paint on alloy, that seems to be quite popular with the Aussie crowd. Whatever floats your boat, is what I say. Non the less if it's made out of aluminum I'm interested in it, no matter where, when, how, or who made it. :thumbsup:

Nate. :beer:
shansgonefishin

Here ya go welder...:thumbsup:

Having trouble attaching more than one shot...??? Will have to do seperate posts, apologies gang.

I do have one gripe about paint Nate, the antifoul that came with the boat. Havn't had much to do with it previously but imagine it's going to be a pain in the @#$$% if I ever have to get it off.

Millenium Hull.JPG
Millenium Hull.JPG (151.11 KiB) Viewed 13887 times
shansgonefishin

:thumbsup:
Quinny's Transom
Quinny's Transom
Quintrex and Finn 042.JPG (158.57 KiB) Viewed 13888 times
shansgonefishin

:thumbsup:
Quintrex and Finn 033.JPG
Quintrex and Finn 033.JPG (155.12 KiB) Viewed 13883 times
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

welder wrote:There are only 3 rules on this site .

One of them is , NO BASHING , period.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4&p=29#p29

I have removed a couple post in this thread tonight, enough said .

Now, I'm buying the BEER who's drinking ? :beer:

And I want to see more pictures of the Quint.

Just for the record I was making a comparison about what someone said about that 1970's styling.......and I believe someone also said something about non-bailing non-metal decks?

Other than that I didn't care.

If it was bashing ya'll took it wrong. As most things are lost in translation on message boards, anyhow.

I gave up beer, you should too W. Because the "salty chips" you're eating with them ain't good for ya.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave , I know your Humor but some don't and yes with out seeing someones face while there talking/typing makes it tough.

Any who , were back on track , lets party. [ That's the Libra in me ] OH , Dave , my wife telling you about the CHIPS cuz she stays on me about ..........DON'T EAT THE WHOLE BAG AT ONE TIME thing . :skillet:

Now the Location Nazi is in cahoots with her , I can't hide anywhere.
Lester,
Phillipgo

Post by Phillipgo »

I recently bought a 18' Quintrex Coastrunner with a 115 2st yam. Can't wait to use it next year. It has scuppers, but hope I never need the. Used to have a 17 wide body Quintrex, with a center console and 60 Yam 4 st. Very hard ride. Hope this one is better.
I saw someone with the same boat that had a picture of it on this site but I can't seem to find it. The boat was just going on the trailer and it had a bimini with enclosure. Looked sweet.
jimw

Post by jimw »

I have a 16 ft Quintrex wide body with a windshield and forward steering. Its a wonderful
aluminum boat. I have had tin boats for 40 years, many brands. The Quintrex is by far the best
with the wide beam, welded hull etc. It gets extensive use in Narragansett bay, been running
it there for the last three years. I have a bigger glass center console but seldom use it
because i like the Quintrex so much
Jim :thumbsup:
shansgonefishin

Great to see the Quinny owners coming out of the woodwork! If anyone knows the history behind why they didn't do so well in the USA I would love to know?? (yeah yeah Jettywolf - coz of all da Pacifics!! :beer: )

Just wanted to post an exert from the email from Paul Denboer at Estuary Marine Perth regarding Quinny's in general when I was chasing the replacement decals. Forgive the "yank" bit - just good ol Aussie humor!! :thumbsup:

Shannon , I would say that you have really stolen the boat , great price……. That boat here second hand in my yard would probably fetch between 35K and 39K with those hours and inclusions. I am not surprised you couldn’t get up there fast enough. She look very clean , I don’t think the yanks really understand the quality of the Quintrex hulls and there ability to hold in big water. I have been running the 570 / 590 Bowriders in recent years off Mandurah and Rotto. We fish out as far as 30NM and we have pushed back into 3m swells with 3m seas onto and winds to 30 knt. Not recommended but sometimes you get caught. ??

With good skipper skills and an eye for reading the seas the boat is almost capable of anything…….

I will be in contact soon.

HAPPY BOATING

REGARDS

PAUL DENBOER
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic