Has 5086 come down in price?

General boating discussion
Bullshipper

Has 5086 come down in price?

Post by Bullshipper »

Everyone says 5086 has gone down with the rest of the commodities, but has anyone bought any recently that wouldn't mind sharing source and price per lb or sqaure foot?

Thanks
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Re: Has 5086 come down in price?

Post by welderbob »

Yarde metals in ct. has a surplus list . If you buy the lot quantities the price is in the 1.70/ 1.80 per pound. They also seem to be a little more flexible. with the price on regular orders. The price of 6061 extrusions has come down 20 to 30 cents per pound. The price should continue to drop as suppliers move their inventory. I just paid $1.55 for 5083H116.x .250 It was less than 5052H32
bassboy1
Your location: Cartersville, Ga

Post by bassboy1 »

For those of y'all that like to speculate, what do y'all think it will be like in a year's time? I really wish I could take advantage of the current prices (on a lot of things) but I am just not financially suited for that at the moment.
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

bassboy1 wrote:For those of y'all that like to speculate, what do y'all think it will be like in a year's time? I really wish I could take advantage of the current prices (on a lot of things) but I am just not financially suited for that at the moment.
BB,
My gut feeling is that aluminium, along with every other metal, is going to head south big-time. Australia is one of the largest
mineral exporters in the world, and producers here are taking large price cuts from buyers. That will flow through as industrial economies contract.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
bassboy1

Post by bassboy1 »

When you mention head south, do you mean that the majority of the production will move south to Australia, or that the price will be decreasing?
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

BB,
Should have been clearer. Price heading South.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
bassboy1

Post by bassboy1 »

Gotcha. Plus, that is what I wanted to hear. :thumbsup:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

The price of Alloy is coming down BUT the rest of the goodies we use to build the boat are still up there .

The cool part of building a Alloy boat are the savings of not having to build molds for multi piece construction like used in a NON ALLOY boat , in other words , when it's welded up , it's done.

Alloy boats do require way more skill to build , hence the cost but if one is building their own and has the time and place to do it I think it can be done pretty reasonable and have GRATE pleasure in knowing YOU built it .

CTMD, has some pretty cool plans for the do it your selfer and of course the inside details can be personalized to your taste.

BassBoy1 , I bet Chris at CTMD can answer your questions as well as others on details of a build. :highfive:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
bassboy1

Post by bassboy1 »

BassBoy1 , I bet Chris at CTMD can answer your questions as well as others on details of a build.
And I will certainly be looking more extensively at his plans, and asking a few questions when I get a little closer to this. Currently, I am working on funding, and completing my Eagle Scout Project.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic