washdown pump recommendations

General boating discussion
FishMagnet

washdown pump recommendations

Post by FishMagnet »

Anyone suggest a good wash down pump? Want good pressure to clean up all the blood and such as well as durability. Diaphragm vs centrifugal pump? Make/model?

thanks
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: washdown pump recommendations

Post by Chaps »

I need one too . . . I've heard there are some new pump technologies on these (as with everything)
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

well what are you looking for, oiled, non oiled, priming, required PSI, required GPM. 12V, 24V ????
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

21ftcc wrote:well what are you looking for, oiled, non oiled, priming, required PSI, required GPM. 12V, 24V ????
so many questions I can't answer . . . :shock:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Chaps, most of the pump I deal with are for fire protection or booster pumps, sewage systems. I will do a little work and get back to you, or you could get a peerless pump if you got the $$$ and the room. :rotfl: It gives you an idea of the pumps I deal with.

Just so you know, in a normal sink water comes out at 20psi +/- , and the normal PSI into a house is about 100psi.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Chaps,

Ok, a little about pumps that you should look at. First, I would recommend an oil filled pump. Why, because with an oil filled pump, if you leave it on and no water is flowing, the pump will not burn out. The battery will just die. If you do go with a non-oil filled pump, you can run them with out flow, but only for about 20mins, then the pump will burn out.

Voltage: The more voltage you use on a pump, using "DC", the less amperage it will pull to run the pump. So pumps come in 12v with a higher amperage normally 10amp and 24v with about 5amps.

Like normal the higher horsepower pump you use the greater the head (psi - gpm at a curtain elevation) from the pump outlet can be created.

Here is a pump curve chart that shows head(elevation change) + psi and gpm loss.
http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/pr ... 0curve.swf

Hope this helps a little.
Last edited by 21ftcc on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
amfboats
Sponsor
Your location: Wanganui, NZ

Post by amfboats »

Because our decks are below water level in general, we have a sump, no scuppers. so when we fit a wash down pump we always fit a float switch and wire up the bilge so it comes on when the wash down pump is in use. That way if the pump was left on or the hose came loose and water was being pumped into the boat there is some sort of back up system in place.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I'm not cooling down a nuclear reactor, just want to blast the blood & mud off the decks with a 12v, on-demand washdown pump of the Flojet, Jabsco, Parr, Johnson, Groco, Shurflo variety at something south of a couple hundred bucks.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Ok,

I have never seen any of these pumps in action or know of there work life, so I'm trying not to guide you into the wrong pump.
Well first Jabsco and Flojet are built by the same company ITT. They seem kinda under powered. Groco, looks to have the best flow rates. Johnson pump look good. If I was you, look for the best gpm and psi at a good (head) height+hose at a cheap price. Johnson makes an aqua jet wash down kit, looks to be a good system. High PSI for really pushing the blood and guts off the deck and a good gpm rate.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Hey 21ftcc, thanks for that info and for doing the research.
djplog
Your location: Redding, CA

Post by djplog »

I believe it was trailerstore.com Where I saw a washdown pump with coil hose on sale. It looks just like mine. You can't peel the paint off the deck, but it keeps the blood and stuff from drying on the boat. I have mine connected to its own thru hull for the intake. I also have 2 bilge pumps - 1 auto - and a high water bilge alarm to remind me to stop pumping water into the boat if its not getting pumped out. The whole setup only cost me about $150.00.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic