General boating discussion
cgrand

don't these boats get hot?

Post by cgrand »

and get struck by lightning?
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Never heard of one being struck by lighting but I guess it could happen. Hot is a relative term - the glass boat I had in Miami got very hot in the summer but all of the Alloy boast I have been on up here have never gotten hot. :lol:
M1911

Post by M1911 »

1) Aluminum efficiently transfers heat. NON ALLOY does not. So if the boat is in the water, the hull will very quickly approach the water temperature. So no, you don't have to worry about it being hot in the water. It will be cold in the winter.

2) No, it is no more likely to get hit by lightning than a glass boat. But it is probably a safer than a glass boat if it does, since the metal provides a low resistance path through the air to the water -- lower than the path through you.
Daddy'O

Re: don't these boats get hot?

Post by Daddy'O »

cgrand wrote:and get struck by lightning?
:lol:

Welcome aboard Chris!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

M911 said: "1) Aluminum efficiently transfers heat. NON ALLOY does not. So if the boat is in the water, the hull will very quickly approach the water temperature. So no, you don't have to worry about it being hot in the water. It will be cold in the winter."

Having had both kind of boats I would agree with that statement. However, more and more aluminum boat builders are incorporating sound deading and insulating materials into their boats. A bare hulled, pilot house, aluminum boat can be a bit nosy and cold but it does not have to be. That is one of the advantages of an aluminum boat, you can have it built to meet your exact needs and environmental conditions.
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Shark Bait wrote:M911 said: "1) A bare hulled, pilot house, aluminum boat can be a bit nosy and cold but it does not have to be. That is one of the advantages of an aluminum boat, you can have it built to meet your exact needs and environmental conditions.
I agree, you can make an aluminum boat better than most. With Sound deadening below the water line and insulation on the walls in the cabin makes my boat super quite. Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Airforce
Sponsor

Post by Airforce »

The only part of my boat that gets warm in the sun is my forward anchor locker hatch that has a gasket around it and some pretty aggressive non-skid. Otherwise, as stated earlier alloy is not a heat accumulator. So during the summer months when the water is warmer my boat is very comfortable to the touch in the hot sun.

As far as lightning goes... I don't have any experience (thank god). Jay probably has something to add here - he was a meteorologist or something in one of his former lives.
Beth Maier
beth@boemarine.com
www.BOEmarine.com
BlackLab V23ST
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

LIGHTNING!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Speaking of lightning, an aluminum boat with a full aluminum cabin provides probably the greatest shielding against a lightning strike. As the full metal hull sits in the water it is completely grounded. The “Blushing Rose” a 37’ aluminum sportfisherman out of Shinnecock, NY has taken a near direct, lightning strike. Capt. Brice didn’t loose any electronics while other nearby boats lost everything, and some had server damage including one sinking due to the grounding plate being blown right off the bottom of the boat from a direct strike to the tower.
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I be in the deeeep south, and sometimes wouldn't mind being even deeper.

And I notice that if I'm in the blazing sun, in July when it's probably 110 degree's and there's no wind blowing not even a puff and the water temp is 88+ degrees, my deck gets pretty warm. 8)

HOLY CRAP!

But so did my ole 23 MayCraft that had a dark colored floor (that I had sprayed with truck bed liner in a dark tan color)

Does it bother me or any one else? Not really. I always ask for all passengers to stay clothed and not get naked and roll around the deck.

I'm trying to run a family oriented business here! But if two really HOT chicks wanted to get HOTTER, by all means....:shock:.....I'lll get naked with them and we can roll around on the floor all day long, if that's what they want.

But that has not happened yet. Maybe someday it will.

But till then, I'll just have ther COOLEST boat around these parts, because it has no racing stripes, need for wax and polishing, or chrome cup holders....oh sorry, I think that is what makes ya cool, right? :roll:
WRONG!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic