Winter Projects on NIGHTHAWK............

General boating discussion
NIGHTHAWK

Winter Projects on NIGHTHAWK............

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Well,
I have several (in no specific order) and I am sure this list will grow:

1. Sandblast off old paint above Gunwales.
-Non-skid and Zolatone are failing
2.Have LineX (Bedliner sprayed on at 150 degrees) on all walking surfaces including roof and transom swim deck.
3.New paint on cabin.
4.Have custom Aluminum 55 gallon aux fuel tank made
5.Have custom Aluminum Davit and Bracket made for Crab pot Hauler (Electra-Dyne)
6.Have Custom Aluminum (50 Gal) live bait tank made (transom mount)
7.Have 12 new rod holders made (aluminum)
8.New out riggers installed (aluminum)
9.Install new washdown pump Jabsco ParMax Ultra 7.0 Washdown Pump 80 PSI
10.Install secondary speed/temp display
11.Install new Seacocks for Fishbox inlet pumps
12.Have new bait rigging station/cleaning station made
13.Replace 4 Optima batteries (if needed) all 4 are about 6 years old
14.New bottom paint
15.Install new 1100 GPH bait well pump.
16.Have Engine Cowls painted and touch up lower halves
17.Full engine services
18.New zincs (hull and motors)
19.Install new trailer jack (8000lbs)
20.Maybe a flip down TV with DVD player.

I had pictures, but not the energy to make them smaller. :banghead:

Pictures @ http://www.westcoasthighliners.com/foru ... #post15222
28' MAXWELD MAXCAT (Twin 225 Hondas)

Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: Winter Projects on NIGHTHAWK............

Post by Chaps »

Holy cow Roger, thats quite a punch list!

Where are you going to put the fuel tank?

Between that and the bait tank you'll be adding close to 1,000 lbs . . . suggest you load the boat with that much ballast (bags of cheap sand would work), fill the fish holds with water and load up your normal crew and equivalent gear weight (two more bags of sand) and see how the boat performs. Take it out in the slop and run it like you were heading out to the tuna. Cats are very sensitive to weight and how its distributed. Keep it safe!
NIGHTHAWK

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the concern. :beer:

Total weight addition will be about 700 lbs with the bait tank using about 45 gallons. Aux fuel tank will be close to 50 gallons of fuel and this fuel will get burned first. This additional fuel will be used for offshore trips of 80 miles one way. Think Tuna.
The fuel tank is for extended trips only, otherwise it will not be on the boat.

We've had the boat offshore about 70 miles in pretty big seas and put 40 plus tuna on board with 4 of us and the boat really did not show much change in attitude or performance.

We frequently go offshore 30 to 50 miles with 4 people, bait and ice, including at least one fish box flooded or both plugged with fish and ice and see little to no change in performance.

Andy did a great job designing and building this rig and you did a great job rigging it. :beer:

Now we are just adding a few things to compliment our fishing style. :thumbsup:
Last edited by NIGHTHAWK on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Roger,

Try Fotosizer, it a quick and easy way to resize photos or groups of photos at once.
http://www.fotosizer.com/
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Great, sounds like you've thought this thing through. I loved fishing off that boat, it was almost like standing on the deck of a carrier it felt so stable.

So after six years those original Optimas are still kickin' it? Amazing
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
NIGHTHAWK

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Honda's

With only 1,300 hours. We are very religious about service and maintenance.

That would include your original (thorough list) and the aid of one of the guys on our regular fishing crew line up who happens to be a Honda service mechanic.

There are really only a couple of private boats that will go out the Gate when the bar swell is big and breaking. One other is a 40" Noosa Cat. We've passed many boats that were turning around heading back in after they look at that North Bar.

The power that boat has is amazing. Acceleration is awesome. I have never felt uncomfortable or nervous on that Cat. It tracks like it's on rails and does not slide or roll, so you can easily correct and get out of harms way.

I have been going outside fishing since I was a kid on all different size boats, solo in mostly smaller skiffs (17' CC), and I have a healthy respect for the ocean. This boat has extended my range and imagination in regards to fun and fishing and I am really looking forward to using it more in the near future.

Thanks for all the help and support. I hope you get a chance to come down this season and do some fishing.
You know you are always welcome. I'll even let you take the wheel (for a while). :mrgreen:

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Roger, I knew about the Honda's of course, its the Optima batteries that surprise me. They are good but thats a long time for any batteries.

You might be seeing more of me soon. Looks like my youngest may go to college down there (Santa Clara).

I take it Honda took care of your engine problem satisfactorily not too long after you bought it?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
NIGHTHAWK

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Chaps wrote:Roger, I knew about the Honda's of course, its the Optima batteries that surprise me. They are good but thats a long time for any batteries.

You might be seeing more of me soon. Looks like my youngest may go to college down there (Santa Clara).

I take it Honda took care of your engine problem satisfactorily not too long after you bought it?
Batteries-got it. -Too many 6-11's not enough time off. :skillet:
Those batteries may still be good. We have them tested every year and not a problem yet; except age.

Honda-
I had to lean on them a bit, but they gave us a new power head and install, even though we were out of warranty.
I told them the new name on the side of our boat would be HONDA SUCKS IN BIG BOLD LETTERS.

Santa Clara- good deal. You will like the fishing here. Variety of fish and environments. :thumbsup:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic