Accurate Reel Service

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
Occams Razor

Accurate Reel Service

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All !

Just finished rebuilding my beloved original Accurate 197M . It is one of the very early 197s and has winched just about everything you can catch in NE .

I take it down every season and clean and lube it and noted last year that the roller bearings that support the input shaft were starting to gall. I cleaned

and packed them once again but about half way through last season they began to squeak. I knew exactly what it was so I removed the handle nut and

poured reel X in it to get it through the rest of the season. She made it without a hitch. I ordered every bearing in the reel thinking I would just go through

everything completely. Well I did and all the bearings were perfect but the roller bearing I knew were done with. The input shaft is so hard that the bearing

failure never scratched the surface (amazing !) Anyhow I will get to the point...the roller bearings in the housing are a press fit, and I mean tight ! If you do

not have access to a arbor press or hydralic press I would not recommend attacking this replacement. You can drive the old roller bearings carefully but you

will damage the new ones if you install them that way. They have to be carefully pressed it to a accurate depth to the nylon backing washers too. I am letting

everyone know about this in case your cherished accurate starts to squeek when you rotate the handle this is very likely the issue. If you are in the local area

I can perform this service for you at no cost to my Alloy brothers. You get the housing and parts to me and I will do the service for you and then you can

reassemble your reel yourself.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: Accurate Reel Service

Post by mojomizer »

Occams have you seen this: http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/view_pr ... .asp?id=73
I have always believed in dog gears instead of relying on just anti reverse bearings when under high drag pressures for big fish.

Do you grease your carbon fiber drag material ???? Do you remove the bearing seals like Alan Tani ???? I just cannot bring myself to removing the bearing seals.(Skill wise or from a mechanical standpoint.)

Spring is almost here :thumbsup:

Mark
2325 Wa pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

according to the guy in Alloys post about the Okumas....ya betta greeze dat drag wash'a.

C'C'mon....taking the bearing seals out to me was just a "too much information" for me too, Mark.
Especially seals that ain't supposed to come out!

Where's that guys Reel manufacturing company? What's he make?
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Mojo:

I trust the double dog design myself for heavy loads. The design of the Penn International 2 is near perfect except it does

not have drag disc on both sides of the spool. Accurate has discovered flaws in the anti reverse bearings and has gone to

a beefier version to solve the issues . As for the ATD series they are dogged as they should be and they will take

absolutely terrible strain abuse and live.

As for removing bearing seals .....absolutely not ! Accurate uses teflon impregnated bearings and do not need much TLC

under normal usage. The bearing I pulled from my 197 were perfect but the anti reverse was wasted.

If you really want to lube your sealed bearing ....here is the way. Make sure your bearings are clean (outside) heat the

bearing with a hair dryer on a small dowel until it is too hot to touch....then drop the bearing into the lubricant of your

choice. As the bearing cools in the lube it will draw in the lubricant. You may have to do this twice but you will get

excellent results.

Carbon Fiber drags ......ABSOLUTELTY NOT ! no grease .....I run all my carbon drags absolutely dry and they work

perfectly, no fade , no chatter ....just as they should. Another thing you have to worry about is certain chemicals slowly

degrade the binder that is holding the fibers together and then you have issues for sure. Some like to grease them but I

do not ever ....The carbon drags and titianium drag washer/plate are perfect for heat dissapation. I have heard some say

the Accurates get too HOT in heavy battle. That tells me the system is working well pulling the heat off the drag system.

My ways are not gospel but I have never ever had a failure or break down of any of my reels.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

O.C.

I used to toss PENN Power Mags for long distance surf casting. The gold standard in my opinion for a good surf reel. And I used to do my bearing the same way.....except I used a spoon and put bearing in spoon and heated the spoon and then dropped in the lube. Sucked it right up.

Those Penns would go so fast that with even a good mag system, tweaking the centrifical, still could get away from me.
I loved them reels!! My best measured cast with my big Penn Power Mag 970 I think it was, measured 460 feet. It took loads of practice doing certain style casts.

Then I bought a Plate Alloy (expensive to me) boat and couldn't afford to do the traveling I did to surf cast anymore.
My name ain't Marty McMillan....it's just Dave, and 50 mile round trips to my favorite castin beach was too much gas $$ spent once I got this big payment, to make.

I bought them on Ebay from and ole guy in Texas and sold them on Ebay and got my $$ back after using them for a few years.

I'd do only and whatever the manufacture says needs to be done to the drag washers. They should know best I'd think.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Accurrate ATD 30's for big game all the way :thumbsup: . The only downside is cost...... but if you had the fish you waited a lifetime to catch ......... it is well worth it. Accurate did go to beefier anti reverses. From what I hear from the top extreme jigging group is that they are having failures and are now adding the double dogs.

Alan Tani is a well respected individual. He has made many detailed and pictured rebuilds for alot of respected anglers. Heck even the reel manufactures listen too him. Peterbo from Australia even knows him. I think he has a real job and does this as a hobby and a little extra cash.

This is a old 2005 post he made. Today he uses all sorts of high tech reel greases and oils. Especially interesting is the last comment on page 2 from the Accurate Rep.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/accur ... build.html

I believe this was posted on another thread but I will throw this out anyway. Pretty detailed, I payed more attention to the greases and oils. What is great about this, is everyone who owns a Makeira will have no fear in taking one apart. He is pretty meticulous.

http://www.big-game-board.info/english- ... 2-16-2010/

Still cannot get over him removing bearing seals.

Respectfuly

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

It says he's a Pharmasist, Mark.

Observation:
It's funny, I was reading a bunch of catalogs last night. Now mind you I have no interest in Monster reels weighting in a 6 pounds.......hell a good Speckled Trout is 6 pounds!

But every manufacture states that they have shielded drags, Double shielded drags, and shielded drags with super duty races Permanantly sealed/lubed bearings etc. Low pro bait casting reels that of course weigh in at a killer 8.9 or 9.3 OUNCES!

And talk about EZ take down to parade rest!

When your talking all these monster fish (I'm still waiting :popcorn: to see some pics of these monsters, here?)
I guess that fella treats them like Dragsters or race cars. One run and then rebuild, clean and tweak, kinda thing, huh?
Zane Gray would double back flip, if he had what they make today.
All in pursuit of fish half the size, of the ones he caught.

Again, just an observation.
Whatever happened to "givin' the fish a fighting chance?"
"not a $3.00 a gallon, I know..."
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Had one like this but no way in hell was I going to kill it and bring it on board.

Yum

No real monsters by any stretch of the imagination. Ex girlfriend burned the good pictures :nutkick:

This day and age this is what catching whoppers mean to me:

Now back to reel maintenance :mrgreen: been trying to figure out if my BX2 600 has 1 or 2 anti reverse bearings????

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Mark , we've seen all the "historical" photos before..... :popcorn:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Mojo:

I know of Allan and he knows me. We have discussed the Shimano 8000SW Stella in great detail.

Now ....the reason I say not to worry about greased drags with Accurate is they do not have stainless drag plates.

They are titanium and do not corrode :thumbsup: Alan state they are stainless.......

I saw the Okuma opened up.........I will not knock it but as you all know , its not an Accurate or even close. Of course

the prices are not comparable either.

If you look at the Accurate opened up you will see absolutely monsterous drive gears. Huge Titianum/ carbon drag system

with equal pressure on both sides of the spool :thumbsup: This is why Accurate is a big step above all others.

I still think the Iternational 2 H model is about as bullet proof single drag design as there is availble today. They are heavy

but man I'll tell you they will take one hell of amount of abuse and still work.

Alan like to pry open bearings.......being a tech I know what is in there and I can clean the bearing and draw new grease

into the bearing with my previous posing method.

Hey as long as we all have a good day fishing its all good :thumbsup:

Just don't touch my Accurates or I will feed you to Whitey ! :thumbsup:
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Mojo:

Almost forgot.......the BX2 600 has two anti reverse bearings ......
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Thanks Occams, The Alan introduction and pictures was for the grumpster J-Wolf, thought it would cheer him up a bit. Man Jetty you gotta move to the big Easy of Louisiana. North Florida is killing you I say. It is not a pretty sight to see a grown man go through Speckled Trout withdrawal's. :rotfl:

Do you think adding a little Corrosion X on the Anti reverse bearings (Roller Clutch Bearings) will help keep them lasting a little longer or will it make them slip.? I have been looking for specs on how much stress these bearings can take. I have seen double dogs fail too but never on a Accurate.

In another month Thresher Sharks are going to be thick off the coast. Getting the big guns ready. :thumbsup:

Mark
2325 wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor »

Mojo:

I spoke with the Accurate folks about this (Anti Reverse roller bearings) . Years ago they dropped the handle bolt that

had a lube check in it. They said too many folks were just shearing the bolt off tightening the bolt so they went to a

solid design. My original 197M has this feature but I rinse it so much I just flushed the lube out and did not know it.

Their advice is too remove the handle bolt frequently and put several drops of lube (Reel X) into the handle shaft.

Over lube is not necessary but will not cause the roller clutch to slip either.

As far as stress.....roller clutches can take enormous amounts of stress. Keep them clean and oiled and they will survive

for years. Mine that let go was one of the very first 197M models produced. So its as old as the 197s have been in

production. They (the bearing )are greatly supported by the housing they are pressed into. Let me tell you they are a

tight press fit too. If you try to drive the new anti reverse bearings in with a dowel and hammer you will ruin them. You

need to use a press with adapters to do it correctly without damage to the bearing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic