Handline springers

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
Jocool

Handline springers

Post by Jocool »

Do you guys use anything like theses?

I have just fitted some handline springers to the boat. Following is a series of pictures of how they are used.

They consist of a grommet type fitting with a threaded body and a nut much like a skin fitting. They have a machined groove in the rod, and 'R' clip retainer below deck to lock it in the fixed or hidden position.

They tuck into the deck when not in use, and only have a little disk showing that shouldn't snag on anything.

This is the springer raised, and ready for use.

I place the line through the v-notch.....

...and then wrap the line around the springer, above the notch where the line is fitted.

With a strike, the springer will load up, and bend toward the water....

The line will then pop of the rod, and I go to battle stations.

I haven't yet used it. I just fitted them over the last few days with the crap weather we have been having.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Handline springers

Post by Chaps »

I give up . . . what are those and what is their purpose?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Jocool

Post by Jocool »

Chaps wrote:I give up . . . what are those and what is their purpose?
Secret Men's business! :rotfl: :rotfl:

They are used for live baiting with a heavy handline. 60 pounds plus! You basically drop your live bait to the sea bed, then lift it a couple of metres. Once the fish takes the bait, it loads the springer and sets the hook. The line pops of the springer, and you fight the fish by hand.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Most of us in North America never seen or heard of such a thing (If I may speak for the crowd, and as a avid world wide web surfer when it comes to all fishing technology, either LOW tech like them thangs, or high tech stuff)

Personally, here in Florida the dumb azzes use this contraption
and don't even know what a Burley Bucket is. Or how EZ it is to have one on the boat.

So, that maybe too low tech for a shiney chrome plated seafoam green south florida plastic boat owner that's also a fisherman on weekends.

Hand lining is what poor cubans do on a cuban yo-yo, or a Pepsi bottle. High tech for those folks, on bridges and catwalks, and they're good with them.

And we don't have fishing like ya'll have down there, but I have to say that GIZMO is quite ingenious.
With limits so low here in Florida, I can't have people catching too fast, I have to make it last....I do complete all day charters and we don't even catch a fish we're allowwed to keep, because of size limitation.

Offshore, is where that would work, but a rod and reel is what people expect, not hand line fishing.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

What depth of water is best with this set up and what are your bendO to caught ratios with this set up?

Oh, what species does one target with this set up ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic