Aluminum Boat 21'9 x 8'6" - $3000 (Cumberland R.I.)

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Aluminum Boat 21'9 x 8'6" - $3000 (Cumberland R.I.)

Post by 21ftcc »

aluminumdreamer
Donator '10
Your location: Mid Coast Maine

Re: Aluminum Boat 21'9 x 8'6" - $3000 (Cumberland R.I.)

Post by aluminumdreamer »

It looks like the panels on the side are pretty warped in the picture. If it isn't a piece of junk it may be a score for someone?

I think my wife may have wanted to kill me when I showed her the listing. I already have one project alloy boat on my hands.

Nate
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Yeah doesn't look nice.
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Post by welderbob »

looks pretty rough to me.
Bob
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

I think this is an extreme example of an event I began to see in the 1980's in our area of Alaska, which I will assume [favorite form of 'logic'] could happen anywhere in the country?

Our shop was building net skiffs of welded aluminum and while competitive with other shops and builders- aluminum and welding are not the least expensive ways to build any boat. Some fishermen would come to our shop, and discuss a skiff only to get a quote and then say some form of this phrase: "I can buy a welding machine and metal, and build my own for less than half (or a third) that money! Who are you guys to try to steal from me?".

The idea they seemed to hold, to the man, was that there was 'nothing to it' - why you JUST...... and there pops out a fully functional welded boat! Not only that but the boat will be as good or better than the shop they just left and it can be done in a hurry without any building experience... on and on and on.

The first time it happened, the fisherman was a [former] childhood friend, whom I don't believe has ever forgiven me(?) I was in my 20's and it was not easy to have been accused of highway robbery for doing the hard work we did on my designs. His eventual boat looked a little better than this scrap material in the picture, but it was only used a few tides before it became a flower box or potato 'raised bed planter'. While his pride never allowed him to come back to buy one of our boats, and he continued to buy 'low cost' alternatives, not only did his boat not work for his net operation he never did sell it that I know.

The truth is anyone can buy the welding machine and metal and build a welded boat; but when they're done might have less than the value of their investment in both, and not many people are silly enough to take the pile of [now] scrap off their hands for any amount of money. Scrappers will offer for the pile by wt in some cases?

clearly this ad shouldn't list this pile of junk metal as a 'boat' since the only similarity is that one end of the pile seems to have some tapering compared to the other end?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10
Your location: Mid Coast Maine

Post by aluminumdreamer »

Thanks for that reality check Kevin. Not that I was going to go look at this pile, but the thought crossed my mind. Of course I was thinking diamond in the rough with what little I still know about metal boats. Good to have a guy onboard like Kevin to set us all straight.

Nate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic