Trailer Tires

Truck and Trailer discussion
welder
Site Admin

Trailer Tires

Post by welder »

Has anyone here tried the , Kumho Radial 857, it's a 14" tire with a , D load rating [2200+ lbs]at 65 PSI.

Chris Grand sent me to , www.tirerack.com , I haven't found them anywhere else yet .

:popcorn:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Re: Trailer Tires

Post by JETTYWOLF »

W,
I just use Korean tires on my truck. Not on my trailer...... :rotfl: :rotfl:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Actually there Chinese not Korean .
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Then I suggest you get Korean then :!: :!:

Dey gooood fer u, G.I.
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

Talking about tires. I have a set of Wild Country tires by cooper on my truck and when checking the air last week I noticed a crack on all four around the wheel on the front and back. So went back to where I got them and they are going to get me a new set and pro rate the price. I've had these tire on both my trucks and never had problems.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I went to just ole Bias-ply's on my trailer tires. Got them for a great deal with all new alloy rims, delivered right to the ranch here, via FedEx from central Florida. Originally, I found the place on EBAY. But ended up calling them and they even gave me nicer rims at the same ebay price as less fancy ones.

It almost seemed as if the more expensive the trailer tire the quicker I had a problem, like TREBLE HOOKS stuck thru them, nails, pieces of rogue steel. You name it.

Rolls-axle trailers with the proprietary aluminum spring system ride harder than torsion bar trailers.
So a bit of "bounce in her step" with the biasply tires ain't hurting anything.

And I'm not trailering cross country anyhow.... So far so good.

GO ALLOY RIMS!!!!!!! They look way nicer, and of course no rust after a year. I believe I have the perfect setup now. Alloy rims, SS hubs and lugs and nuts, alloy trailer w/ alloy spring system, all LED lights, Alloy Boat that I LOVE. My maintenance is down to the bare minimum which is handle'able and means more fishing!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

How many miles are you guys getting out of a set of trailer tires?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

about 3-4 years worth......if Im lucky, Alloy.
Last set I wore till they bubbled and threads were exposed. I get the most out of every single dollar spent.
Have too, I don't have a tire tree in my yard yet.
usagrown
Your location: buzzards bay

Post by usagrown »

i'm goin on 4 years now on my original goodyear marathon radials and trailer at least 100 days a year...startin to think about replacin them, most if not all have been patched the vulcanized way, not plugged. i would def go with the same ones...not to hijack the thread or anything but how many of you guys have torsion vs. spring axles. and jettywolf, do you mean by "alloy spring system" that your leafs are aluminum? also getting to that point in time for me to start thinkin about replacin my leaf springs and found a torsion axle that tie down engineering makes that i can replace with my existing leaf spring axles.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

USAgrown,

I have a Rolls-axle trailer, they have a patented aluminum spring system. Works great and never any rust. You can see it on their web site. Killer trailer...even SS hubs, lugs and nuts and all SS hardware, and aluminum construction.
Very expensive, but worth it for me as I use my boat a lot.

Back in 2005 my trailer was $5300.00 and I had them build me a custom ladder on the front also.
usagrown
Your location: buzzards bay

Post by usagrown »

sounds sweet,
i have been contemplating selling my trailer and going with an alu i beam but i know a few people who have twisted the frames. granted they were probably man handling the trailer or did something they shouldn't have. but i have had leafs and a boxed galvy frame for 5 years now with no problems, so i keep telling myself why fix it if it ain't broke...when i got my trailer i didn't even know i could get an aluminum one, or i would have hands down. it kills me that i have an alu boat and no alu trailer to go with...they look so natural together. idk? we'll see what happens down the road...like i said i have had good luck.
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Did you get new tires welder?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

No , I think I'm going with a new set of what I have on her right now . I tried to order today and the closest place was in Georgia , $97.00 each and $77.00 shipping + tax ,
I think it will be easier to just stay with the the brand I have . :banghead:
Lester,
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I found them for $87.55/per and $48.06 to ship to Mass for a set of 4

http://www.tireteam.com/Tires/Kumho/R85 ... &ref=GBASE

Try your local commercial large truck tire store.. not the car tire places. They should be able to find you an off brand name (made by a brand name company) trailer tire but with better rating. I do this for my truck tires and find my tires lasting longer.

Well I should say totally no problem as my last set of tires had a crack around the wheel on the front and back on all four. They took them back and put new ones on.
princyjoshu
Your location: Los Angeles

Post by princyjoshu »

thanks for sharing all your views :)

Custom Trailers
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

MY trailer is fairly new with torsion and marathon tires, galvy with roller system no bunks here. The suspension is great...no squeaks and slapping noise when hitting a bump! The tires are at their max when the load is figured out...so I have a spare to go with. I suspect that on one of my long hauls I'll be getting the heavier rated tires...I was looking at the trailer capacity when ordering and didn't think about the tires alone...oh well! As for alloy trailers the ones I saw were only the rails and not much else...the total Alloy trailers were very pricey of the ones I looked at on line here in the PacNW. I may at the end of the summer before a long haul to CA, replace the tires with a heavy version load-wise and store the others for when I sell the unit! Now that could be a long time! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic