WCVI Aug.14 &15 - Sharks, Tyee's, and Black Bears

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

WCVI Aug.14 &15 - Sharks, Tyee's, and Black Bears

Post by Sculpin »

What can you say about the weather this weekend. We headed up to the west coast to get away from the heat. Got up to Salmon Beach around 9 pm Friday night and it was still quite warm, clear skies, etc. The meteor show was really cool!

Anyways onto the fishing.

Boat launch in the morning

Heading out to the banks. So smooth out there it was unreal.

This weekend we were trying for some larger fish mostly and my buddy wanted to try out his lightweight Sage rod with a neat little Abu centerpin reel. Well he got to try it out allright within the first 10 minutes of dropping his line down!!!

That fishing rod of his is magic me thinks (even Tinkerbell would be jealous)!

The result a nice 32 lber

Caught on a 5" watermelon Tomic spoon

After my buddy got his fish (mission accomplished as he wanted a Tyee on light tackle this weekend) we fished for around an hour without another bite. We heard lots on 78a North of us so headed up to the Hyson to check it out. What a show up there. Over 100 boats out there all around the Starfish!

Anyways we stayed just South of the "pack" and Jake decides to use something different because we aren't getting any action on the big plugs and spoons. He throws on a 3.5 inch wonderbread and wammo!

Jake playing his first Tyee (whoo hoo)!!!

The result............a very happy kid!

Next morning was even flatter than Saturday. Looking back at Salmon Beach early morning.

Hit a few of more springs in the low twenties.

This one was caught using a North Pacific spoon from Pacific Net and Twine.

Was hot as hell out there weather wise. Air temp was around 26 degrees. Water temp was 67 degrees. Guys on 78a were saying they were going for swims next to the boat to cool off.

We had some other excitement as well this weekend. On Saturday we were switching gear and were in neutral when my buddy looks over to the right and say holy sh*t would you look at that. It was a 7' shark of some kind (I'm guessing Blue or Tope but have to look it up to try to confirm)!!! It swam right under the boat very calmly and past the other side and carried on about it's business like we weren't even there. This is the biggest shark I have seen off of the WCVI for sure. It mulls around a bit and we loose sight of it and go to set the gear. One side goes down and Jakes side pops off for whatever reason and he reels in to reset it. His gear just hits the surface when out of no where this shark takes it. We saw its head with the open mouth and everything then the dorsal fin and tail as he went straight to the bottom. Jake hung on for dear life as this thing took off to the depths like a freight train. It burned his hand the reel was going so fast. It almost spooled him then it was like an anchor. It must of wrapped itself around the line a few times and just stayed at the bottom. We backed down on it but the line broke. When we got it up to the top there was about 12 feet of it all frayed (from the rough skin). Was one of the coolest things we have every experienced out there that's for sure.

Now the not so funny part of our weekend. We normally leave a land cooler either on the truck or in a trailer with fish and ice in it. Because it was so hot this weekend we decided to leave it in a patch of trees on the lot to keep in the shade. We stacked and packed all the fish nicely inside with Jakes Tyee on top. Well when we got back today to camp the cooler was knocked over with the lid open. We instantly knew what was up. A black bear must has just been there as the ice wasn't very melted and there were teeth marks in the cooler etc. He took off with Jakes fish as it was on the top!!! Jake was a little upset at first but then laughed it off when I said " how many guys can say they caught their first Tyee only to have it stolen by a black bear the next day"!

Awesome weather, nice fish, crazy adventure of a weekend. Gotta love the WCVI.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: WCVI Aug.14 &15 - Sharks, Tyee's, and Black Bears

Post by mojomizer »

Great report :thumbsup: You have one awesome son. I do read alot of pride in your writing. Keep him fishing.

I am thinking you have the water and weather temps reversed...... or you have warmer water then So. Cal.

Thanks for sharing...... Great pictures and discription :highfive:

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Great post and some AWESOME fish and it looks like Jake is one heck of a water man. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Great post! Those were some beautiful Chinooks! Send some of that sun up this way, will you?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Awesome report and pics :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

My Canadian degree calculations don't exsist.

But I'll swap ya any day Sculpin.

It's so hot here you won't want to go fishing, but then again we ain't catching anything either.
akcat

Post by akcat »

do they salmon sharks that far south? I've seen Salmon sharks do they same thing lots of time.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Salmon Sharks migrate quite a distance. I like the TOPP data on tags. Allot of cool information if you like the biology and migration patterns of game fishes. Look at the side table under view by species.......Click Salmon Shark. Click tags reported within the last 365 days. They swim off of So Cal????????

http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/TOPP_recent/TO ... 41&zone=10

Explore this site you will find alot of useful information :thumbsup:

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic