WCVI Weekend, Aug.21 & 22 - fishing was GOOD!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

WCVI Weekend, Aug.21 & 22 - fishing was GOOD!

Post by Sculpin »

The last couple of weekends have just been a total blast fishing the WCVI on the banks just off of Ukee and Tofino!!!. I've been bringing friends out to give her a whirl and get into some fish.

On Saturday we headed out with my draftsman, my friend Steve, and his old timer fishing buddy. The fishing was kind of slow to start in the morning but by afternoon the action picked up considerably. Everyone had a great time and everyone caught fish.

My draftsman Randy caught his biggest fish to date and was very excited. It went 24 lbs.

Steves fishing buddy caught his second halibut ever. He sure was a neat guy and very spry for a 75 year old.

Steve had a small problem with the Cabela's quick draw rod holder........

The hinged part blew out but luckily he buried the line in the clip and we got the rod back!

Out on the banks there were so many porpoises it was just crazy. I have never seen that many at a time.

On Sunday I went out with a couple of other friends and we experienced the same senario with the slower morning etc. and the afternoon action picking up considerably. We went out to the Wreck around lunch time just to check it out and found the coho big time. Played and released quite a few wild ones and managed a few hatchery fish around 12 lbs.

We decided to head over to the SW corner and as soon as we dropped the lines it was game on (and no it was not me who rigged that rod)!!!

Most of the fish were caught on metal in the 4" green/glow (hottest), PAL P2B, and 5" watermelon variey. Depths were 47' and 61' on the riggers.

We limited out on springs. Released quite a few smaller ones. Had a great time out there on the water. Some of the springs were jumping a couple of feet out of the water which made for excellent angling.

On the way in we saw an Orca quite close to the boat between Ukee and the banks. Really impressive mammals.

Great weekend shared with friends.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
welder
Site Admin

Re: WCVI Weekend, Aug.21 & 22 - fishing was GOOD!

Post by welder »

John, that was a GREAT trip with some NICE fish, well done Sir.

:beer:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
akcat

Post by akcat »

What type of rod and reels are you using for trolling? Are they spey rods? they look like a blast.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

wow that missed eye Rod looks like a real "Meat Mover".

Sculp, that's some great fishing ya got there.

It's so dead here it's like fishing in a sauna with yer feet in a hot bath, yep there's no fish in Sauna's and no fish biting here either.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Sculpin- Some great looking fish! you look like you had a blast! Thanks for posting!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

akcat wrote:What type of rod and reels are you using for trolling? Are they spey rods? they look like a blast.

Their mooching rod's and reels. Shimano Convergence 10'6" with Shimano GT 4000 reels. They are a blast :thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:wow that missed eye Rod looks like a real "Meat Mover".

Sculp, that's some great fishing ya got there.

It's so dead here it's like fishing in a sauna with yer feet in a hot bath, yep there's no fish in Sauna's and no fish biting here either.
"Meat Mover" I love it Jetty. Going to make that one a West Coast saying for sure :clap: . It was a weird year for us but still great fishing. The timing was off for just about everything except the spring salmon. We had a few 40 hook up days (all day out there from 6 am till 4 pm type days). Last year was better as the coho salmon showed up early and we had a 50 hook up day one day around mid August. Your arms are rubber even with a few folks on board sharing fighting time :beer: .
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic