PNW Boat builders

General boating discussion
Sobie2

Re: PNW Boat builders

Post by Sobie2 »

I've gotten to taste a few alloys.

Seawolfe if I was going to get a volvo diesel i/o but those are spendy to maintain (the Volvo not Seawolfe).

GlacierCraft but that is an Alaskan Builder and you'd pay to get it South.

EagleCraft boats are good but I have seen them with what have to be pricey paint jobs (worried about a scratch why buy alloy?)

I have a couple boat slip neighbors that have Norvelles and those are awesome boats. They build beautiful interiors.

www.bayweldboats.com is another top notch (But Alaskan builder) I'd look at.

I have seen a few silverstreak boats (mostly landingcrafts but a few cruisers) and the above builders all make a heavier/stouter boat. and I am not saying Silversteak boats are flimsy but not of the caliber of the above boats.

Dollars and cents(sense?) wise the Wooldridge is a great boat with mfr to back up and great economy performance results is what I'd most likely end up with if I was going to seriously look at having a boat built for me, but I am a mere mortal... thus I ended up with a Hewescraft OceanPro.... but I have a remote cabin to go to and I have a landingcraft and don't need an overnighter.

Sobie2
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Waterdog: I have an idea that may help you narrow your choices down a little. While most of us on AAB have boats that meet OUR intended use and/or budget that does not mean it will work for others - my boat would not work for Welder and Jetty Wolfs would not work for Spoiled One, but they are great for them, so here is my idea.

If you would post your requirements, desires, must-haves, can't live with, etc, what you are going to use the boat for, where it will be used and what your approximate budget will be I think we could help you narrow down you choice of builders.

Example: As great as a Pacific is It will not work for us up here in AK because we need a heated cabin; My boat would be overkill for use in FL, TX or LA; Do you want to be able to stay on the boat for several days or will a day boat work; Will either an I.O or an OB work for you; Do you want it to be trailerable without a permit?; etc?

Give us a place to start and we will help you.

SB
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

akcat

Post by akcat »

Take a long look at bay weld in homer Alaska. they have one of the nicest riding hulls around and have a little but different lines from most alloys. It seems to me most alloys have rigid sharp lines, while the Bay Welds has more of a "classic" look to it. We built a Armstrong and really like it, but if I were to have a mono built it would be bay Weld. http://www.bayweldboats.com/
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

What a great selection of boats everyone has come up with :thumbsup: What a great AAB community everyone so willing to help :thumbsup: We are certainly passionate about our Alloy.

Boats are a extension of who we are. I believe more so than even our cars/trucks no one brand fits all. Usage, economics, degrees of comfort , and demographics are all important factors. I am sure the list increases to the demands of a dive boat in the cold waters of the PNW.

Checking out all the makes and models should be a fun endeavor. SharkBaits has sage advise on making a list of what attributes you are looking for...........Aluminum excels in being a very customizable medium. Air tank storage, a place to hang your dry suits/gear and ease of entering and exiting the water come to mind.

Other options is finding that well cared for used or meticulously refurbished alloy boat. I have been paticularly have been enamored with the now defunct Aerohead Boats.

http://albacoreadventures.com/ I think he is an AAB member.

I think this could be fun living vicariously through your search and pocketbook on finding your Dream Boat. I certainly hope you continue posting on your journey. :skipper:

.................And Again We At AAB Are Imaginationally (new word) challenged. Pictures Are Always Welcomed. :thumbsup:

Thaks for Sharing

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff

Had to add this "Oh my gosh Becky" I found his links page. http://albacoreadventures.com/links
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Shark Bait wrote:I hope you are finding the AAB forum helpful
Shark bait- Thank you so much for the welcome and your insight! I will expand a little on my original post, and that should give everyone a pretty comprehensive idea of our vision.

My wife and I are dive instructors part time at Underwater Sports in Olympia, WA. Any boat we get should have an open cockpit with a walk-through transom, and a large, sturdy swim step. When doing technical dives, we routinely wear over 100lbs of equipment. A stout swimstep is a must. When I retire in 3 years, we would like to dedicate more of our time to diving and instruction. Maybe even doing small charters to some of the more remote dive sites.

The reliability and fuel efficiency of a diesel I/O would be my choice. Long cruises and extended range are our priorities. We really don't want to get anywhere super fast. Additionally the I/O would leave the stern clean and clear for launching and recovering divers. A minimum of a 210 gal tank would be a plus.

We don't live too close to the water (40miles) so trailering is mandatory. That will also let us access various places along the WA and OR coast without having to go up and around through the Straits of Juan de Fuca. I have a GMC 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo. Should be able to pull just about anything I need with that .

Until I retire, we will use it on the weekends for diving, and the occasional long weekend in the San Juan Islands. We are looking forward to overnighting on the water and exploring the PNW. Eventually we would like to take a trip up the inside passage, and some of the amenities available in a 30' boat will make that trip very comfortable for the admiral. We all know if the admiral is happy, everyone is happy! It will usually be just the three of us; Wife, myself and our 11 yo son. A convertible dinette for the boy to sleep, and a decent v-birth for us would be our choice. Stand up head/shower combo for those extended trips. A good galley, with a moderately sized fridge, two burner stove, and possibly an oven would be a huge plus. At least a 35gal FW tank for those extended trips.

Not very often, but occasional runs offshore for Halis, Salmon and Tuna would work their way into the plan as well.

Right now our budget is around 150k, +/- 5%. Anything above that would require us to wait longer than July 2011 to purchase/finance.
Sobie2 wrote:I have a couple boat slip neighbors that have Norvelles and those are awesome boats. They build beautiful interiors.
Sobie2- I don't know if you can, but I pm'd you my contact info. If you could forward that to the owners of the Norvelles, I would love to talk with them. Norvelle is the only manufacturer I don't have a testimonial for.
I have no preference between Volvo/Penta and Yanmar. I know Yanmar doesn't have a proprietary out drive like Volvo does. And Yanmar has fewer electronics than Volvo. Reliability seems to be about the same, with cost for parts higher with V/P.

Chaps- thanks for the list! I was not looking forward to having so many choices!! :!:
akcat wrote:Take a long look at bay weld in homer Alaska.
Akat- Baywelds look very nice. I just sent them a request for information.

All- I cant express how much I appreciate everyone's input. This deployment was a little bit of a surprise, so I am not able to get out and look like I had anticipated. My wife is a little tentative to go looking without me, so I am left with the internet. We have allotted ourselves a little over a year to do the research, sea trial, and save $$$ so we can get exactly what we want. Though I am realizing boat ownership is synonymous to compromising! Does the perfect boat really exist?
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

mojomizer wrote:Had to add this "Oh my gosh Becky" I found his links page. http://albacoreadventures.com/links
Mark- I have already spoken with Bob about this beautiful boat. He has graciously offered to take my wife and I out to see how she rides when I re-deploy. Unfortunately (sigh) I think he is taking it off the market. (Bob, I don't blame you one bit! :thumbsup: )

Make you a deal Mark! I will live vicariously through your narrative of your Alaska trip with Pete, and you can live through the trials and tribulations of my search for the mythical perfect boat! (I think I will name it "UNICORN") :rotfl:

Jaime
Homertime

Post by Homertime »

Hi all,
I'm kind of new to this forum but not new to boating. My home port is Homer, AK.

I'm on my 5th season with a Kingfisher 2825. I'm very pleased with the boat. If I knew how to add a picture I would. It is equipped with a transom door and a sturdy swim step and a step ladder. http://www.kingfisherboats.net
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Homertime , email me the picture and I will post it for you .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Welcome to AAb Homertime those Kingfisher's look like a mighty fine boat :thumbsup: You sure do live in some excellent country......... Any pictures you can share would be more than Welcome.

Waterdog247 I just get so excited when I see that Aerohead. You should take him up on that ride.

I cannot believe I missed his post :shocked:

Brilliant............. we get to start finding a name for your future boat :clap: Since we are in the mythical beasts mode my nominee will be ................................................"Skookum" Chinook Indian for the Sasquatch.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Jaime: Thanks for the additional information. I am going to throw out some thoughts and ideas based on your comments and my experience having a boat built to serve as a starting point for discussion.

With your emphasis on using the boat for technical diving a large, stout swim step is a must. My oldest son is a mixed-gas technical diver so I am very familiar with the equipment you are describing. The good news is any of the custom aluminum builders can work with you to get a perfect swim step and ladder combination to meet your needs. However, I haven't seen a swim step on a production boat that would meet your needs. So if you were to go with a production boat you would have to do an after delivery add on.

You mentioned the possibility of using the boat for dive charters. If you are remotely thinking of using the boat for charters you will need a boat with an American built hull, which rules out any of the Canadian boats. This is because the Jones Act prohibits using a foreign hulled vessel in US commerce. While there is an appeal process I do not know of anyone who has received a waiver from the US Dept of Commerce. Sen. John McCain does have a bill pending which will reduce or eliminate the Jones Act, but I don't know where it is in the approval process.

While I am a fan of outboards for many reasons I believe an I/O would be the best choice for your use. A Volvo diesel would be my first choice. If you are going to go with a single engine, I am a big fan of two engines, I would strongly suggest you have a 15 to 25 HP kicker. You will see a of of 9.0 and 9.9 HP kickers on single engine boats in the 24' to 30' but they do not have sufficient power to get you home or keep you off of the rocks if the weather and/or winds kick up. In the past several week I have seen a fair number of boats with small kickers being tow back to harbor because they were too small to do the job.

As for the tank sizes I would recommend 250 Gal fuel tank if you go diesel - more if you go gas. 35 to 50 gal of fresh water will work very well. A 25 to 30 gal Vac-U-Flush system would round out your tanks.

Since trailering is mandatory you will need to check with the WA and OR to confirm the size limits - I believe they are the same as Alaska. Up here you do not need any permits for boats 8'6" wide or less, from over 8'6" to 10'6" you need to have a permit, rotating yellow beacon and an "Oversize" banner, but no pilot car. Over 10'6" you need all of the above plus a pilot car. I need a permit for my boat and it is not a big isssue. A WORD OF CAUTION: If you read my statement closely you will see I said boat width and not beam. All of the tow regulations I have seen refer to the widest part of the boat which is usually some part of the bow rail and not the beam of the boat. DO NOT take the manufactures specifications or word for it - make sure you know your boats width. As far as pulling your boat your GMC will do just fine. My boat is a 34' (36 if you measure the engine pod) X 10' and the boat and trailer weigh 15,000# and my Chevy 2500HD with an 8.1 and Allison tows it well - after I did a few easy modifications to make it legal. When the time is right I would like to have an in-depth discussion with you about the trailer and towing. Each time I haul my boat to the marina it is a 150 mi haul through the mountains on two lane roads.

As for the length of the boat I think you will have a challenge getting what you want in a 30' boat if you want a decent sized cockpit to work off of with your dive gear. I would think 32' would be better - the good part of this is once you determine the layout of the cabin and V berth if is easy and relatively inexpensive to add a couple of feet to the cockpit. Out boat was planned as a 31' but it "grew" by 3' in the design process to accommodate the stand-up hard and galley my wife wanted and the cockpit I wanted. Any good builder can work with you on the size and layout.

The interior of our boat is almost exactly what you described and I can make some very specific suggestions as to the make and model of the equipment when you get to that point.

Now not to burst you bubble but I think you are going to have a very difficult time getting a boat you describe with a trailer and a quality electronics suite for 150K. Not saying it can't be done but I am highly doubtful. Don't let my comments discourage you as lots of us on this forum have faced similar budget/compromise challenges. This is where this forum and working with a quality builder will really pay off. Another work of caution - Everyone I know who has had a boat built has gone over the initial budget by 15% to 25% during the build process. This is because of "Can I have this, Can you add this, I forgot I needed a ..., How about that, boy the new super-mother-thunder chartploter is neat, etc" and is not any fault of the builder. Just be aware of "Budget Creep".

So here are my suggestions for a good place to start. A 32' X 10'6", 10' cabin, large aft cockpit, Coldwater, SeaWolf or Armstrong mono hull, powered by a Volvo diesel I/O unit with a 15 to 25 HP kicker (Suzuki or Honda). If you consider a Bayweld or other Alaskan boat you will suck up some serious shipping expenses. I don't know of any production boat, including ACB, that will meet your needs without some serious modifications.

My suggestions are just a place to start and to the other forum members you will not hurt my feelings if you do not agree or have other suggestions. The objective is to use our collective expertise from around the world to help Jaime get the boat of his dreams at a price he can afford. Let the comments begin.

SB
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Homertime- welcome to AAB! as a new member myself, I can truly say this is an exceptionally welcoming group of individuals!
mojomizer wrote:Brilliant............. we get to start finding a name for your future boat :clap: Since we are in the mythical beasts mode my nominee will be ................................................"Skookum" Chinook Indian for the Sasquatch.
Mark- that's awesome! The wife likes it!! We have a crazy list of possible names, but I think that is a subject for a new thread!

SB-You truly are a salt-water Sage!
When I spoke with Andy Barry at SilverStreak, he mentioned the Jones Act as well. To be honest, I am not sure how much of a “Charter” it would be. More like friends “chipping in for gas”. I know that is probably a slippery slope. I am working on getting my 6pack license either way. Besides, any classes or experience I can get will make me a better captain/boat owner.
Shark Bait wrote:I would strongly suggest you have a 15 to 25 HP kicker
I have 35HP Mercury at home. I am sure I will have to do a little maintenance; it has been a while since she has been run. With only one main engine, I want to be sure I can get back to shore. I am certainly not opposed to buying a new one, if I cant get it running. That's just prudent.

Washington has the same size limits as AK, but I am not sure what the requirements are for placards, labels and lights. If anyone knows for sure, please chime in. What modifications did you do to make yours legal? You have piqued my curiosity! You trailer yours significantly farther than I would have to normally. We only live 40 miles from Puget Sound, and 55 from Hood Canal. I have hauled heavy trailers with my truck for years. The biggest was an 18k goose-neck for construction equipment, and a 10-horse goose-neck. I have never towed a boat with it, though. Any advice you have would be welcome!

After talking with my wife, the limiting factor for us will be, of course, the budget. There was initially some hesitation over size and ability to single-hand load and launch, but that has been fulfilled. I am certain that we would like the biggest thing we can trailer; it all comes down to coin! The thing I am most excited about is that an alloy can be modified in almost any way you could imagine. An older/used hull can be retro fitted much easier than non-alloy.

Please don’t think that your comments or insight are discouraging in any way. We have just started down this path, and we freely admit we don’t know what we don’t know. Knowledge is the key to this, and there is a lot to be had here. I figured there would be a little “budget creep” but I wasn’t sure how bad it would be. Twenty-five percent? (Sigh) Guess I need to cut out the expensive scotch and cigars! (Now THAT"S discouraging!) Every little bit will help! :idea: :idea:

Jaime
Bigdog923

Post by Bigdog923 »

Waterdog any load over 8'6 needs an overwide permit cost is 20 dollars a month any load over 10' you will not be able to move during curfew hours and noon the day before a holiday till the morning after the holiday any loads over 11 feet wide will need a pilot car on a two lane road curfews are up and down the I 5 corridor you can find every thing here good luck http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/CommercialVehicle/default.htm I hauled boats for a living up to 12 feet wide and 34 feet long you will need a min of a 1 ton truck if you have any questions I will try to answer
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Welcome Aboard Bigdog923 this is getting cool and has all the making of a Hall of fame thread. I for one am learning by the barge loads.

:thumbsup: Keep it up..........Great informative posts.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Welcome to AAB Bigdog923!!

thanks to you, this is what I found regarding WA overlimit rules:

from the following website- http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=468-38-100

WAC 468-38-100 Agency filings affecting this section
Pilot/escort vehicle and operator requirements.
(1) When is a pilot/escort vehicle(s) required to accompany an extra-legal vehicle or load? A pilot/escort vehicle(s) must accompany an extra-legal load when:

(a) The vehicle(s) or load is over eleven feet wide. Two pilot/escort vehicles are required on two lane roads, one in front and one in back.

(b) The vehicle(s) or load is over fourteen feet wide. One escort vehicle is required at the rear of the movement on multi-lane highways.

(c) The vehicle(s) or load is over twenty feet wide. Two pilot/escort vehicles are required on multi-lane undivided highways, one in front and one in back.

I am still looking for the legal requirements for signs, lights and placards. I found them further down in the above regulation, but that seems to only apply to pilot/chase vehicles. This legal data mining is killing me...

Thanks Bigdog!
akcat

Post by akcat »

My amrstrong is 11' wide and we tow it no problem. Get a permit ($50) and have your wife follow in your "pilot car". Flashing probe and a couple over sized signs and your on your way. good luck
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

For Waterdog and all others:

After looking at many, many boats in marinas and at boat shows for several years and talking to lots of boat owners I finally got serious about getting an offshore boat. After narrowing down a list of builders I visited six manufactures in AK, WA and BC. During these visits I discussed my needs with the builder, toured the manufacturing facility, talked to the welders and fabricators, looked at the shop layout, equipment and then went for a test ride at several of the builders. For me these visits reviled a great deal about the builder, the boat and what I might expect IF I ordered a boat from this builder. If anyone is considering having a custom aluminum boat built I STRONGLY suggest you conduct a on site visit with EVERY builder you are considering.

After doing these visits and going through the build process I sat down and listed some of the major considerations, from my personal experience, when having a boat built. I posted the following on another forum a couple of years ago - but the considerations are as valid today as they were then. It may take reading this a couple of times to fully absorb all of the details - but I think it may prove helpful.

Boat Construction Considerations

After going through the process of having a custom aluminum boat built I found there are at least five major areas to consider when selecting a builder. When first considering having a custom aluminum boat built it is easy to just look at one of the builders boats and say “Boy that’s a neat boat” without considering ALL of the things that go into having a custom boat built.

1. Builders Experience – How long has he been in business, how many boats has he built, what is his reputation, what do current and previous owners think about the boats, would current and previous owners have this builder build them another boat?

2. Design and Engineering – Who did the hull design and configuration layouts, are the boats designed by a naval architect, are CAD drawings done for each boat, is the weight and balance calculated for each boat, and are the boats certified to meet USCG and ABYC (and possibly Canadian CG) standards ?

3. Construction – Does the builder have an adequate and dedicated construction facility, does he have quality tools, welders and machining equipment, does he have adequate material/boat handling equipment, are ALL of the welders doing the construction tested and certified or do they just know how to run a MIG gun? Are the boats built from drawings or is “Stuff” just added after the hull is completed?

4. Business Practices – Is a detailed and legal contract which protects BOTH the builder and client done for each boat, how accurately is the start and/or delivery date defined, what is the record of the builder in meeting the start and/or delivery date? How accurate are the builders cost figures – does he have a history of “Cost Escalation” which results in additional charges at the time of delivery? How open is the builder to contract changes? Is a “Build Sheet” which details EVERY system, sub-system and part (i.e. specific make and model of each part used) a part of the contract or does the contract just list general items like, hydraulic steering, refrigerator, suspension seats, 2 bilge pumps, etc,? Are all changes requested by the client added to the “Build Sheet” with the cost listed? Most, if not all, custom aluminum boat builders require an initial small deposit and then either 3 or 4 major construction payments. After the initial construction payment does the builder have to have made material progress on the boat BEFORE payment 2 is made? Does the BUILDER do one or more sea trails of the boat after construction is complete?

5. Customer Service – How easy is it to deal with the builder, is he open to your ideas, how easy is it to contact him, how quickly does he return you calls, does he give specific answers and not generalities to your questions, if you have a problem how prompt is he is correcting the issues and finally - has the entire process been a pleasurable and fun experience or a giant PITA for prior clients?

These are just a few things that I found were important to me when selecting a builder.

There are many builders in Alaska, Washington and British Columbia that will build you a boat – the trick is to find a quality builder that will work with you to get you a boat that meets your needs and budget.

And finally a comment about delivery dates. If you have a custom boat built you are going to spend some serious money – the builder owes it to you to accurately define and meet a delivery date. There is a big difference in knowing that it will be two years before you are going to get your boat and being told (or having it listed in the contract) that your boat will be delivered in 6 months and then you finally get it a year and a half after that date. A quality, reputable builder will identify a delivery date (accurate to within a few weeks) and then meet that date so long as major changes, not little adds, are not made during the construction process. Having CAD drawings of the boat before construction starts greatly reduces the chance of any major changes.

SB
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Waterdog: To answer your questions about what I did to my truck. Discussing towing boats really hits a nerve with me. While I am not a towing expert I have towed a lot of things and have done a lot of research into towing large boats.

First there is no 2010 or older (not sure about the new 2011s) 3/4 or 1 ton truck that that I know of that can LEGALLY tow much of a boat such as a 26' HewesCraft Sea Runner or larger as it comes from the factory. Now why would I make such a bold statement when we all know a 2500HD or F-250 can easily tow a small 26' boat? Just take a look at the dog s*** receivers the manufactures put on their trucks. Most are only rated for 6000# to 7500# load carrying. My friends 26' HewesCraft that I have towed actually weighs 8600# they way we tow it - NOT LEGAL! . When using a weight distributing hitch the rating goes up to 12,000 or 12,500 # but how many boat trailers have you seen that use a weight distributing hitch? Not many!

So that means one of the first things you must do is replace the receiver with one that is rated appropriately. I am using a Putnum XDR which is rated at 16,000 weight distributing and 15,000 weigh carrying.

Next you must make sure your ball mount and ball are rated for the load you are towing. All 2 5/16 balls (and 2" balls for that matter) are not rated the same. Go to Wal Mart and pick up any old 2 5/16" ball without checking its weight capacity and you may be in deep do-do.

So what specifically did I do to my truck:
Replaced the receiver with a Putnum XDR
Replaced the transmission oil cooler with one specifically built for the Chevy/GMC made by Inglewood Transmission. It is a large, high quality direct replacement.
Replaced the transmission pan with a stock Allison steel DEEP pan, includes a deep filter.
Replaced the transmission fluid with synthetic (Actually because I live where it gets COLD I have all synthetic fluids in my truck).
Replaced the shocks with Bilsteins.
Added a BrakeSmart brake controller. This unit uses a pressure transducer to measure the actual brake pressure to apply a truly proportional brake signal to the trailer.

My truck tows my boat like a dream.

SB
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

For most boats over 26' , I would get a Goose Neck Trailer with the right axles under it, then I could tow to my Trucks MAX safely .
Of course I would have Electric over Hydraulic Breaks.
Lester,
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Shark bait- excellent information. It would make sense to me that if you are going to tow your rig as far as you do over that type of terrain, it had better be a bullet proof set up. Yours certainly sounds like it is. That said, it is a wonder more people don't understand the necessities of having a properly set up vehicle and trailer for the type of towing you will be doing! I hope your post gets at least a few guys out under their trucks looking at pieces/parts to make sure it's all up to snuff! That sure is a pretty rig you got there!!!

Thank you also for the site visit and builder consideration checklist. Some of those ideas I wouldn't have even known about. You are making my journey a little easier with every post :thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:
welder wrote:For most boats over 26' , I would get a Goose Neck Trailer with the right axles under it, then I could tow to my Trucks MAX safely . Of course I would have Electric over Hydraulic Breaks.
Welder- you brought up my next question. With the exception of the 12x8 cargo trailer I use to haul my Harleys, I have only towed goose neck trailers. I was wondering why you don't see more of them on the road, towing this type of boat. I appreciate the level of control, handling and weight distribution of the goose neck. I do loose the covered storage of the bed because I have to take the shell off. But then there are always compromises.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

More and more Goose necks are showing up , I think most people don't like the looks and of course they cost more than a bumper pull.

As you have pulled GNs you know the superior towing aspects of the Goose neck .
1] Can pull full capacity of truck
2] Rear end of truck is NOT squatting
3] Way better control of tow vehicle
4] Can turn tighter at the ramp

and more.
Lester,
smpow

Post by smpow »

http://www.seawolfmarine.com/AvailableB ... erSea.aspx

28' available now in WA. I know the time is wrong, but the price is right...Good luck and I envy your search.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

smpow wrote:http://www.seawolfmarine.com/AvailableB ... erSea.aspx

28' available now in WA. I know the time is wrong, but the price is right...Good luck and I envy your search.
Smpow- we are considering that boat. We found it last month, and my wife has been trying to schedule a time to go see it. Thanks for the heads-up!!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dog , just a FWI, if you are interested in this boat [ no offense Seawolfmarine ] I would for sure get a marine surveyor and a Engine surveyor to check her out big time before purchase . $500.00 or so is a lot cheaper now than a OH NO later.

This hull has the engine box to deal with , read, takes up a bunch of deck space .
Lester,
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Welder- getting a marine and engine survey are one of our top priorities with any used boat we look at. Not only is it a requirement to finance, it's just good sound piece of mind.

We have been looking at ways we could minimize an engine box's impact on usable space. If it is sturdy enough, we contemplated fabricating a tank rack that could hold our kit once we have it staged, then we could sit on it as we got into the harness. But I would really have to get a hands-on look before we could make any decisions. Lot's of stuff to consider!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic