How Do I Fix This???

Mods and custom builds
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

How Do I Fix This???

Post by AlloyToy »

Don't ask...it wasn't me :mrgreen:

I need to be kind......FATHER IN LAW :!: Smacked my skinny water skiff motor with his bob cat loading rock....

So now what the HAY do I do?? Never in my life have I sheared a skeg at the bullet :sarge:

My Thoughts:
Aluminum
Oil
Heat
Seals
Leaks

God....I better get another brew for this one :banghead:
Attachments
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG (259.89 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: How Do I Fix This???

Post by mojomizer »

Ouch.......... bet the boys are disappointed :nutkick: Yep Welding a new one on :thumbsup: I do not think you have enough skeg left to: http://www.skeggard.com/

Have a brew on me.... :beer:

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

I was talking with a guy who welds skegs last weekend in Naples ME, he said he tilts the motor up at high as it can go and fills the prop/exhaust with water and just welds on a new skeg, claims he he has never had a problem. While I was there he put a new skeg on a alpha one, he had a template he just cut out the shape from 1/4", welded it on and ground down the weld, coat of paint, done.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Good info Mac.....I pulled the lower unit and brought it home. I'll give it a shot at the shop.....

mojo.....blank stare from both boys.....

Then #1 says "dad are you pissed" :?:

And #2 follows with "guess we're not fishing that boat this week on vacation" :idea:

Oh well it's all good.....besides it's my wife's dad and well ahhh....I won't go there :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Tell the wife you have to get a NEW motor because the repair/new lower unit will cost MORE than the old motor is worth ....and it's to bad your Dad hit it because that OLD motor had a few more years in it.

OR

Just go buy a new one and tell her , her Dad did y'all a favor.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

welder wrote:Tell the wife you have to get a NEW motor because the repair/new lower unit will cost MORE than the old motor is worth ....and it's to bad your Dad hit it because that OLD motor had a few more years in it.

OR

Just go buy a new one and tell her , her Dad did y'all a favor.
Les I like the way you think :rotfl: :rotfl:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

See there is an example of that Texan Common sense I have been talking about.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: and still :rotfl:

Oh wells the boys can play on the Pacific Skiff.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Don't ask. When SWMBO complains upon seeing the new motor, lay the guilt trip upon her. Les said it upgrade and let the dealer play with it
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Father-in-law just bought you a NEW lower unit. That would be my thoughts. But then again I'm single and real heartless.

I think You're screwed Alloy. Oppppps another trip to Winnghoffs
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Post by welderbob »

filling the bullet (exhaust tube ) with water is a good idea. The dealer usually brings them to us stripped.
If just the bottom is broken, you can just weld a piece on and fair it in . I'd cleanup the edge and vee it it back some. I might start with a 3/8" thick plate and sand( taper) it to the bottom.

That's a nice job, good thing they don't make them out of plastic. Post some pictures of the finished product.

Bob

I'd tell dad that the lower unit can't be fixed and a new housing is on "national back order"
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

AT

Here is a great post.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=282896

I would prime the bare metal with zinc primer for underwater use before paint, sand, maybe a second coat, and then final paint coats.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Great info guys!! Thx for the help....

21ft...... :thumbsup: Thx
SNOOT
Your location: Seattle, WA.

Post by SNOOT »

Make sure you are grounded to the skeg when you start welding ... If you ground to the main out drive you could have issues with your bearings arcing ..
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

Alloytoy,
the only caution not mentioned so far and not shown in the skeg repair video is oil in the castings porosity. Cooling the bulb will work well to keep the skeg root from overheating the seals and distorting the threads are the prop end too.

What I've had happen in one or two welds that were as close as you show in the pic, is that there were 'tears' or cracks in the cast at the skeg base that reached into the case's inner wall. They held oil, no visible leaks before I began to weld and didn't leak at all until I heated the area with the torch to get a bead. Then they gave me a little torch of flaming oil out the small cracks and an exciting time was had by all.

I'd say, because the weld is so close to the case that the first step is to clean up the skeg's base on the bulb casting with a carbide tool straight across like you'd cut the skeg off with a saw. This will clean up the 'torn' cast material and show any major flaws running upward. If you sand this edge the sander will 'smear' the flaws so I use carbide to cut the cast aluminum.

If the break is an inch or more below the gear case I don't bother to concern with an edge seal weld, but if its as close as yours- its worth looking closely at the cast edge and floating it to be sure you won't have more problems when you get ready to weld?

Then I'd bevel that area leaving a 20-30% flat land in the middle of the cleaned-up edge and weld an initial bead on that small flat edge/land -alone. The bead can be small narrow and colder than it will take to re-attach the skeg but it will 'tell' about the condition of that edge. Once you've got that small sealing bead along the edge ? flatten it with a sander (now the surface won't matter as an indicator), bevel the skeg or replacement skeg and weld.

One side, either side, weld 1/2" from either end for 3/4" to an 1" toward the center. Then turn over and 'back' those welds using the carbine burr to back-gouge all the way through the skeg's edge to the 'pure' filler metal so there is no original root left. Next, do two more located by dividing the remaining gap in the weld zone by five and welding segments 1 & 3, reversing the weld and back-gouging then welding the other side. If the welds will be less than an inch long then just divide the remaining distance by 3 and weld #2.

A (series of) wet rags will help keep the skeg from building up heat BUT!!! not dripping wet remember steam will burn you right through your gloves if you're not paying attention. :sarge:

For the commercial fisherman who land their boats on a gravel beach full of salmon in our area, we used to weld a 1/2" round bar up the forward edge of the skeg all the way to the base of the bulb/gear box so the skeg would take more impact along the lead edge when beaching. I'm sure we reduced their props' efficiency but after welding a few hundred lower units it became the norm for our shop, some guys brought the engine to the shop in the shipping box for some 'preparation welding' before they were used.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic