Armstrong Boats in the news

Post by Chaps »

Article published Sep 13, 2010
DAVID G. SELLARS ON THE WATERFRONT:

Metal boat builder busy in Port Angeles

By David G. Sellars
PDN Maritime Columnist

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/artic ... sy-in-port

IT'S WOODEN-BOAT weekend, but the metal variety is making tracks, too.

Armstrong Marine, the aluminum-boat fabricator whose plant is adjacent to the racetrack midway between Port Angeles and Sequim, is running at full sail.

Earlier this year, Armstrong was awarded a contract to build two 50-foot and one 60-foot dive boats for the Navy.

Fabricators at Armstrong are well into the construction of the hulls for the two 50-footers, which, when completed, will be deployed to the naval bases at Bremerton and San Diego.

Also on the Armstrong list: Four 26-foot harbor security patrol boats, scheduled to be built for delivery in March 2011 to MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Fla.

Each of the four mono-hull boats will be outfitted with twin Mercury 250 Verado outboards and be used to patrol the waters of Tampa's Interbay Peninsula.

And then there's the boat to be deployed to the Bahamas -- but not to a government installation.

The Four Seasons Resort in Nevis, Bahamas, is having a full-displacement catamaran built that was designed by naval architect Scott Jutson.

The vessel is built to Coast Guard specifications and is designed to hold 40 passengers.

She is powered by two Cummins 355-horsepower diesel engines and will have a cruising speed of 20 knots.

AMAK Towing is having a 50-foot catamaran built for use as a shuttle tour boat in Ketchikan, Alaska.

Below her main deck will be two Caterpillar C-12 engines, each generating 705-horsepower driving a pair of Sea Fury surface drives.

Skeptics who question the ability of the internet to generate business from fields afar, take note:

The Ecuadorian Navy recently contacted Armstrong Marine by searching the Internet and entered into a contract with the Port Angeles to build a 32-foot survey boat which will include the installation of a multi-beam hydrographic survey system.

Armstrong will be building another paint barge for use at Pearl Harbor Naval Station in Honolulu.

The barge is outfitted with a Genie scissors lift, a generator that provides power for hand tools and a hazardous-materials containment system.

This is the sixth paint barge Armstrong has built for use at Pearl Harbor.

In August 2009, when the Metal Boat Society met in Port Angeles, Josh Armstrong, president and CEO of Armstrong Marine, addressed the gathering and expressed his belief that the aluminum boat industry would survive the economic recession and shared what his company was doing to assure its long-term success.

The current work log for Armstrong Marine exceeds 42,000 hours of fabricating capacity, and the phone continues to ring for estimates and proposals.

It would appear that Josh had a fair idea of what he spoke.
NIGHTHAWK

Re: Armstrong Boats in the news

Post by NIGHTHAWK »

Boy did Andy screw the pooch :skillet:

Good for Armstrong-I looked at their boats and they are good boats.

I am really glad I got a Maxweld when I did. It's just too bad they are no longer in Business. :banghead:
28' MAXWELD MAXCAT (Twin 225 Hondas)

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Great news for them in this "media" economy...

I have spoken with them....they know their stuff, and build some beautiful boats :thumbsup:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

NIGHTHAWK wrote:Boy did Andy screw the pooch :skillet:

Good for Armstrong-I looked at their boats and they are good boats.

I am really glad I got a Maxweld when I did. It's just too bad they are no longer in Business. :banghead:
Yes, Andy blew it. He could have possibly scaled up but his lack of business acumen seemingly did him in. BTW there is a 24' Maxweld for sale up here if someone is looking for a semi-open fish boat. Its pretty light in fuel capacity is one problem but that could likely be overcome.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1954723043.html

Incredibly clean and well maintained boat. Primarily used in the unpredictable open-waters off Western Vancouver Island; this boat is very sea worthy, stable and solid. Custom built in Hebo, Oregon and delivered in 2000. The boat was upgraded in 2007 with a new 250HP Suzuki (320hrs./3 years warranty remaining) outboard that includes hydraulic steering. Motor allows for a comfortable cruising speed of 24 knots at 8GPH, or troll all day at 1GPH! The boat is also equipped with twin (20 gallon) internal fuel tanks including Raycor fuel filtration. Dual axle trailer with surge disc brakes IS INCLUDED.

Additional Features:

Raytheon 24 mile range radar
Garmin GPS/depth sounder
Trim tabs
Dual batteries with switch
Stern thrusters
Port-a-potty
VHF radio
(2) Electric Scotty down-riggers
Suspension seating
Solar battery charger
Recent bottom paint
And more!

Seats 6 comfortably, fishes 4 comfortably. Generous swim platform would make for easy SCUBA diving use. This boat would be excellent for use on the Columbia and Snake Rivers too! Insured for $75,000, sacrificing at $46,950. Serious inquiries only please, NO trades.
24 maxcat.jpg
24 maxcat.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

single outboard...interesting
akcat

Post by akcat »

I spoke with Joe Beck from Armstrong yesterday about priming my water pump and he said they are building or built ( can't remember) another shop just to make room for all of the projects they got going on. They are a great group of guys to work with and I'm happy they are doing well.
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

That Maxweld is pretty interesting. I have a buddy who had an old Livingston Cat with a single engine. He spent more money on props than he did on gas. I don't think he made it more than a trip or two without a serious ding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic