Quintrex?

Sell or Trade your Alloy boat here
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10
Your location: Mid Coast Maine

Re: Quintrex?

Post by aluminumdreamer »

I don't think it was that they didn't do well, everywhere I went with mine people were always asking about it. The shop I bought mine from couldn't get them fast enough. I was told that they stopped bringing them into the states because it was too expensive to import them. Too bad, as they are a great way to get into a welded boat for a less money.

Although I was extremely happy with my Quintrex experience there are things I would change, if I were to ever get another. The plywood floor for one, in my opinion is a bad idea. If there were a way to weld in a diamond plate floor with an air tight space under, I think that would be a home run. For the money, I don't think they can be beat though.

Nate. :thumbsup:
Phillipgo
Your location: Ossining NY

Post by Phillipgo »

Since they were going to start building them here, importing would not have been an issue. Must have been something else. I too would like to know.
shansgonefishin
Your location: Cayman Islands

Post by shansgonefishin »

I had thought they were building them in the USA?

After reading this article I guess it never happened...

http://www.crda.org/news/local_news/aus ... region-350

:thumbsup:
bobcom
Your location: Wakefield, RI

Post by bobcom »

I'm new to this forum and have a Quintrex 190. It can be seen on AtlanticTowers.com; just search for Quintrex if you want to see one. I've had it since 2002.

Quintrex actually started making them in North Kingstown, RI at Quonset Point. They only lasted a couple of years there and then set up shop in S. Carolina. But that didn't last long either. I just think their sales were below breakeven and so they shut it all down and went back to Australia. It's funny that they are so popular in Australia, but were not hot sellers here.

I like it except for the fact that it's too small for current needs. I'm looking at used Pacifics, hopefully the 26. But I'm sold on Alum Alloy.

Bobcom
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10
Your location: Mid Coast Maine

Post by aluminumdreamer »

First off, welcome to AAB. You'll find lots of Pacific fans here. My advice is listen to them and all of the the other experienced alloy owners before buying anything. I wish I had found this site before I had gone and bought anything. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and lots of good guys ready to give you good advice.

So is the Quintrex for sale? I saw it on Atlantic Towers, it looks like a nice little boat. Lets see some pics here on AAB, and get some stats on that thing.

Nate.
shansgonefishin

It's been a while, but here's a recent shot of the Quintrex here in the Cayman Islands.

Where the ell are the fish?? :rotfl:

Last edited by shansgonefishin on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
shansgonefishin

Lets try that again :thumbsup:

Last edited by shansgonefishin on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Let me get my magnifying glass out...... :rotfl: :rotfl:

So that's not YOU?
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13
Your location: Southern Philippines

Post by waterdog247 »

Nice looking boat! That Millennium hull looks good!
shansgonefishin

Can you see these Wolf?

Last edited by shansgonefishin on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yep, now that's posting your pictures!

I had Lasik surgery I can see like a hawk far away now, and not good close up. The "trade-off".

I've seen a few of those Quintrex boats, and I have to say that one is the best I've seen. Looookin good.
shansgonefishin

Thanks mate, this is how I found the Quinny up in RI.... since got her up to speed, the Bimini was great but a pain in the ar$e to fish with, so went for a $999 dollar Stryker T Top - what a ^%%$# difference! :highfive:

But the pet says if I "add" one more thing to her she is outa here. .......the boat that is! :rotfl:

Last edited by shansgonefishin on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yeah, I remember seeing that "back yard" photo of that boat and it seemed so plain Jane.

What all you've done seems to have spiffied it up good.

So, how do ya go from R.I. to down in the islands? (or vise-versa) Jus' to get that boat?
shansgonefishin

I used "Uship" - an online bidding site, where carriers can bid on your transport request. I had to hold out for a guy that would carry it down to Miami rather than tow it, I didn't know the boat/trailer enough to trust someone towing it, and just didn't want to know about the whole tow thing, cost $1200 and made it down to FL with out a hitch, towing options where around the $800 mark....

We did have some drama getting my trailer to fit on the transporters trailer - the solution was for the previous owner to tow it to a local ship yard where they hoisted it on - did it for free, awesome bunch of blokes through out the whole exercise.

From there it went straight on a ship which took 3 days and cost $2500. Luckily the duty amounted to $4 for tire disposal, had it been a boat longer than 18ft I would have had to pay 10%.

In all - I bought her for $7500, with freight/shipping it all amounted to $11,200 sitting outside my front door in Cayman.

Last edited by shansgonefishin on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

See, now that's some interesting stuff.

So I'm guessing it was a sight unseen kinda deal. That takes more balls than I have, if so.

Thanks,

Yeah, my dad's done some Uship getting motorcycles from one side of the country to the other. But like me, he just usually hoofs it over there, with his motor cycle trailer and calls it an adventure. Takes mom along for the ride.
shansgonefishin

Nah Wolf, I'm not that brave buying a boat unseen... especially given all the decals being removed - I had to see it first.

So I jumped on a plane and we took her for a spin. The owner John turned out to be an A/C guy like myself and just a genuine fella, we hit it off like you know what and concluded the sale over a few beers and lunch. We both got burn't to a crisp and nearly ran out of fuel doing the trial, as I wanted to get out of the river and into the ocean proper to see how she handled - I just didn't know the mouth was a good 5 mile's down!

My biggest concern was the "well here's a wad of cash, I'm going to just jump in my hire car and fly away back to the Caribbean now - please don't vanish on me" thing, but I just had to trust the guy - and ya know when ya know when a bloke is genuine or not. Plan B would have been to move the boat off the property - if I felt things weren't right, but thankfully that wasn't necessary.

Even now we keep in touch with fish catches and what not, the whole experience was just bang on :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I used to be a HVAC guy too....

Not awhole lot of "H" in Florida though, but lots of "V" and A/C, like down yonder your way.

I loved working sheet metal, pipe fitting for chilled water, and industrial jobs.
Hated residential with a passion. And didn't like being a truss monkey doing new construction duct work, either.
The best job I ever had was with a mechanical contractor as an apprentice, the man that was my lead guy was like a big Brother to me, instead of an A-hole.
shansgonefishin

Wolf, ya smarter than me mate - you got out.... :rotfl:

Truthfully, I do the controls (Andover) these days so I spend most of my time getting fat in front of a computer, they can keep those Attic's eh?? :beer:

Took her out for a spin yesterday arvo chasing Wahoo... nudda thing! It's a little early for'em but they are starting to show in drabs, scored a littl'n of 15lb last week. Our first "Nor wester" (cold front) of the season is humming through - the water temps should start falling (currently around 83 DegF) and hopefully the hoo are not too far behind :thumbsup:

Nothing biting and my planer was giving me the sh1ts - so took a few snaps between the tunes and an arvo coldie... was a cool sunset at least!

And please ignore the bird shyt on my windscreen... LOL!!!!

JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Nice boat shots....83 degree water huh?
Them boys in Rhode Island and the like never felt such water before. Except in the bath tub.

Yep, I tried to get on with Honeywell, because I had a freind get in with them . Not long after a cross trained into Plumbing. And ole Turn chaser. :rotfl: :rotfl:
shansgonefishin

Just thought I'd post a photo or two of our boat from yesterday afternoon in the Cayman Islands. This is option #2 when the fish ain't biting, a few friends and a beer or two and at our favorite spot and a great place to take the kids.

It was our 8 week old daughter's maiden voyage, and just like her big brother at the same age - slept like a baby (pardon the pun) once the boat got going - and kept on sleeping until we returned home four hours later! :thumbsup:

The sandbar was actually a new addition to the Island - courtesy of Hurricane Ivan - there's a dock on the beach here that stops about 30 - 40 ft short of the waters edge now - makes everyone look twice!

The dock in the background - now a kids floaty holder!

Cheers,
Shan :beer:
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

Shan, next time we come down to dive Cayman Brac, I am lookin you up!!

Those are awesome pics! Glad you had a wonderful day!

:beer:
shansgonefishin

Sounds like a plan! :beer:

The Brac's a neat spot eh? Talk about a sleepy island.... but then there's "Little Cayman" a few miles away which makes the Brac look like a metropolis!

This may be of interest Waterdog if divings ya thing....

Grand Cayman is about to get a new artificial reef/wreck dive site. The "Kittiwake" is all set for towing down from the US east coast, and they plan to sink her at the top end of 7 mile beach in the next few weeks.

http://www.kittiwakecayman.com/

Shan :thumbsup:
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

My friend, I have been watching this event very closely. The sinking of the Might O in Florida was a major milestone for artificial reefs in the US. Canada does it all the time, and has some exceptional wrecks in the Pacific Northwest. I was sorry to hear about the delay, but cant wait to see it finally happen! That is going to be one heck of a reef!!

I did have the opportunity to dive Little Cayman the last time I was down there. We only did two dives; both on Bloody Bay Wall. Two of the best dives I have ever done in the Caribbean, that's for sure!

:beer:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Very cool pictures........ I like the way you have to tether the cooler so it does not float away :thumbsup: I can only imagine eating some Lobster Pineapple Sandwiches sipping a cold one watching the sunset.

I know if I had a area like that I would have webbed feet :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing some warmer climate tropical pictures.

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

Great pictures. You are raising those kids right! What kind of tides do you see down that away?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic