RIVER run REDS....Redbass that is!

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

RIVER run REDS....Redbass that is!

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Really fun "rising" tide. Yep, the falling tide at "my Jetties" sucked. So we hit some lime rock hard bottom with ledges in the river, along some rocks, right along the ship channel.

These Tennesee boys thought they were going to catch some Bluegills, and Kittycat sized fish today.....they were wrong!
40 feet deep, light tackle, screaming tide.

1st one a decent 10 pounder at the inlet and that was it....time to MOVE:
HEADED UP RIVER, THE JETTIES SEEMED D-E-A-D. POLE-BENDING THE OLE UGLY STIKS GOOD, AS THE TIDE FLOWED.
ALWAYS THE "KEY", NICE GOOD CURRENT.
NO SECRET LOCATION HERE....
JUS' GOOD WATER FLOW.
SO FAR THE REDS RANGE FROM 10#'s TO 12#'s.
EAGLE CLAW 7/0 CIRCLE HOOKS, AND A ROD HOLDER, MAKE GREAT HOOKSETS.
ALWAYS IN THE CORNER OF THE MOUTH.
NOT A SINGLE "KEEPER" FISH, BUT LOADS OF FUN. BUT A FEW "KEEPERS" WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE.
GETTING IN BETWEEN A DOUBLE-HEADER, OF "SLAM DUNK" PROPORTIONS!
SOMETHING THE JETTYWOLF DOES REAL WELL, HAS PLENTY OF DANCING ROOM, FOR MULTIPLE HOOK-UPS!
HERE WE GO...THE MONEY SHOT!
14 & 15 POUNDS. BUT I'M STILL HOPING FOR LARGER, "BRUTUS T. REDBASS."
FOR YA'LL THAT DON'T KNOW THAT THE ST. JOHNS IS ALL ABOUT SHIPPING TRAFFIC....WELL, HERE IT IS! THIS PASSED LESS THAN A 100 YARDS OF US.
HERES "LARGER"...OVER 20 POUNDS AND SHOWED IT WAS AN ATHELETE! THIS REDBASS WAS LIKE HURCULES, AND KICKED BUTT ON LIGHT TACKLE.
LOOK AT THE NEXT REDBASS TYLER CAUGHT! IT WAS DE-FORMED. HAD SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT'S SPINE.
THE FISH FOUGHT FUNNY, AND THEN GAVE UP. I FELT SORRY FOR THIS GUY, BUT THEN AGAIN, THESE FISH ARE TOUGH, AND IT SWAM AWAY HEALTHY.
A SURVIVER, IT COULDN'T MOVE IT'S TAIL MUCH AT ALL.
SHORTER AND COMPACTED.....STILL NOT A KEEPER. NOT LIKE I WOULD EVER KEEP FISH THIS TOUGH.
ONE MORE....AS THE TIDE SCREAMED AND IT BEGAN TO BE HARD TO KEEP 6 OUNCES. ON THE BOTTOM.

No keeper fish, but allot of fun memories and photos. Add in a few sore arms on the light tackle. We packed it in as the clouds darkened a bit and before the super sea breeze started blowing.

Perfection! Get the right set of circumstances, and this is what June is all about.