Multiuse alloy part two

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Multiuse alloy part two

Post by spoiled one »

My kids have been wanting to chase black bears with dad since last year, so a friend and his nine year olds came out with us for the week. We headed out Monday evening and were greeted with flat seas and a light drizzle. We decided to drop the shrimp pots relatively close to the port and anchor up for the evening. The kids were tired and so were the two dads. We awoke to more rain and a three foot chop. We pulled the pots, reset them, and headed to the hunting grounds about two hours away. I like to let the shrimp "purge" themselves in a bucket or two of salt water before heading them and giving them an ice nap. We pulled into a calm passage and processed the over night haul.

We encountered a young black tail buck swimming from the mainland over to an island. These little guys have been seen swimming several miles offshore. If it were August, he would be added to the freezer!

We arrived to the bay we planned on spending the week and my six year old spotted the first bear of the trip. It was working the edge of the treeline along the beach. We anchored the boat and deployed the raft, but the bear didn't want to play. In the spring, the bears are on the move constantly. They move from grass patch to grass patch and then retreat to the shelter of the forest. We decided to take the raft to shore and explore up a small stream. It leads to a small pond with some nice grass flats. This adventure was all about the kids. The actual harvest of an animal would be just icing on the cake.

We worked our way up the creek and up onto the grass flat and wouldn't you know it, an average sized black bear was grazing. The wind was in our face and the creek created enough back round noise to allow our thundering herd to close the gap.

We decided to pass on this bear.

Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Re: Multiuse alloy part two

Post by spoiled one »

We retreated back to the big boat for the evening and had some dinner. The rain started up again so we assembled the make shift cover for the back deck. The two boys decided to jig for some bottom fish and caught several. I was cleaning a small yellow eye rock fish when my son said " Dad, I have something big on here! " I looked over and his little ugly stick rod was bent over to the grip and line was peeling off the little spinning reel. He fought it for about a minute and then could not hold on any longer. He passed the rod over to me and I started to work the big slab up to the surface. The tide had turned and the boat had swung over a drop and we were in about 90 foot of water. The fish must have seen the bottom of the boat, because she sounded and then ran along the bottom. I watched the line peel off the spool and hoped that there was enough. I started palming the spool to slow the fish down and she turned. I slowly worked her up to the surface and we had color! The tell tale white belly of a big flat bastard! She planed up to the surface, took a look at us and with a couple pulses of the tail she took us for another ride. I slowly worked her back up, popped her with a load of number 6s from the .410, and hooked her with the gaff. We pulled her aboard. You just never know what you will pull up from the depths when jigging a little, silver buzz bomb!

Here is the home for the week:

We hunted the bay for another day, but didn't see anymore bears. The rain was finally slowing down, so we decided to pull the anchor and slowly cruise the shore line to another anchorage. The two boys wanted to drive and navigate, so I reminded them that the " * " were rocks, so steer clear.

The girls continued to play card games at the table while the dads glassed from the aft deck.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

Awesome Pete!

Looks like a great time was had by all. :thumbsup:

Cheers :beer:

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

We had been trolling for bears for about an hour and the sun started to peek out. This is what we were waiting for. We were scanning the beach ahead of us and found a bear working the grass about a half mile ahead. My two kids donned their life jackets and rubber boots and we hopped into motor floater to try and close the distance. My eight year old daughter is an extremely sweet and sensitive youngster. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that the actual harvesting of an animal would be tough for her. We did not have to take an animal for this to be a successful experience, so I had planned on her making the call.

We closed the distance to about 300 yards and the set up was ideal! We slowly motored to a small island that was between us and "our" bear. We secured motor floater and crept around the edge of the island to a rock out cropping. The bear was still there! I huddled with my kids and asked them what they wanted to do and my daughter told me to take him. We all put or ear plugs and I waited for the shot. The dark bruin was 185 yards away and was feeding along the grass line. He presented me a broad side look, so I put the cross hairs on his shoulder and squeezed a round off. He dropped at the shot. I have learned over the years that a "dead" bear can jump up and hit the brush in short order, so I racked another round into my old Winchester model 70 .375 and put the cross hairs back on him. He tried to get back up, so I hit him again. He was down for good. I turned to see the reaction from my two kids and both of them gave me the thumbs up and were smiling ear to ear. I then looked out to the big boat and could see the two kids raising their arms as well. They had the cheap seats, but were able to see the hunt unfold.

I asked my kids what we should do now and they both responded: "Let's go get our bear!" We hopped back into the raft and hit the beach. We pulled the bear a bit higher onto the beach and went back to pick up the others.

I could not be a more proud father. Sharing this experience with my two kids ranks right up at the top of the list!

The entire crew:

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

After the June 1st you do not have to salvage the meat, just the hide. But the meat of a spring bear is some of the best table fare out there. It makes fantastic sausage as well as some tasty roasts.

One more with the bones shaken out:

We got the bear taken down and put away and went back to the boat for some celebratory jiffy pop.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

We awoke the next morning and there was not a cloud in the sky. We decided to work our way back towards Whittier and anchor up, so the kids could row around and enjoy some beach time.

They could do this all day.

I could not have asked for a better trip. We all created some lasting memories. This one will be a tough one to top, but I will try! :thumbsup:

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pete, well done SIR , you have given and continue to give them youngens memories that they will NEVER forget .

Tristan , GREAT JOB on the Butt buddy , you and your Dad make a great team and of course your Sister too. I bet with the HUGE BUTT and the VERY nice Bear you and your Sister are telling Mom some awesome stories and the best part is .... you have the Bear and the Fish to back it up .

Pete, great post brother :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
amfboats
Sponsor
Your location: Wanganui, NZ

Post by amfboats »

Hey Pete, your a School teacher right? Man alive you must kick some serious butt in the "What I did in my school Holidays" and "Show and tell" segments.

I once got told by a primary teacher when I was about 7 to sit down and stop telling lies during one show and tell. I was telling how dad had just taken us out for the weekend four wheel driving with the 4x4 club and how big an adventure it was. How we had to be winched off the trees through thick mud that was over wheels and we had to hop out of the vehicle because of dangerous drop off's into the bush with vertical cliffs on the other side.

Make sure you give your kids the photos and the written story signed by you to give the teacher, other wise they might get accused of having vivid imaginations and making this wonderland story up. It is almost too good to be true :-)

Fantastic trip Report!
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Yea, Bevan, I teach 8th graders. When my kids are home, so am I. Works out well. My son is already quite the story teller. This trip will really supplement his already vivid imagination. Thanks for the comments, guys! :thumbsup:

We will be off for another adventure this next weekend. This time we will be bringing mom. We'll probably raft up with our neighbors and enjoy a few cocktails served up over glacial ice.

Cheers! :beer:

Pete

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I like the Ugly Stik story!

That's a hell of a flaty on a light spinner.

Would definately qualify for a trophy catch on the Shakespeare web site.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

JETTYWOLF wrote:I like the Ugly Stik story!

That's a hell of a flaty on a light spinner.

Would definately qualify for a trophy catch on the Shakespeare web site.

They are an impressive rod for what they are. Great for kids and I suspect the big kids (clients) as well. Have you ever broken one? He was pretty stoked to feel the tug on the other end. First halibut, too.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Seefood Man
Sponsor
Your location: Woodland, WA

Post by Seefood Man »

Liv'n Large :thumbsup:
There is a saying, "Take your kids hunting and you will never have to hunt for your kids"
Fine, Fine job there :clap:

Do you make Bearitos?
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Seefood Man wrote: Do you make Bearitos?
I have had bear tacos and they are fantastic! Coastal spring black bears are some fine table fare.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Nope can't break one.......but sure can break those high dollar rods. (I won't mention any names)

One famous rod builder said one time, "I can build a rod you'll never break, but you won't want to fish with it."
BUT THEN AGAIN IT'S HARD TO CAST WITH A HALF A ROD, TOO.

My trout fishing requires a really light, slow action rod that bends the length of the rod, not just the tip (IE: fast action) so not to pull the tiny hooks we use. Every since I went to 7'6" Ugly "striper" rods myself and customers don't pull hooks when using braided line any longer.
Aka: Parabolic - Fairy Wands
Aka: Parabolic - Fairy Wands
4-7-5.gif (77.76 KiB) Viewed 7209 times
I won't fish anymore with any other rod. Proof is the 32 Ugly Stiks, in my "rod room".
wdkerek

Post by wdkerek »

There you go again.........driving me insane with envy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic