SeaStar Hydraulic maintenance

General boating discussion
SJD
Your location: Cape Cod

SeaStar Hydraulic maintenance

Post by SJD »

I have a 2006 V20 pacific with Seastar hydraulic steering. No problems with steering thus far. Wondering what is recommended for maintenance of this system? There is an oil fill/vent plug on the steering column not sure what I should be doing with it.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: SeaStar Hydraulic maintenance

Post by Chaps »

There isn't much to maintain if you are lucky. If the system develops a leak anywhere you'll notice the fluid level at the helm (under the cap) will start to drop which allows air to get into the system. When that happens the steering will get spongy and sluggish requiring a repair of the leaking component (usually something on the motor cylinder) and a proper bleeding of the system to purge out any air bubbles.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
SJD

Post by SJD »

When I open the cap at the helm and look in I do not see an oil level, but the steering seems fine. Should I add some lubricant to the system?
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

The oil should be up and able to be seen when you remove the cap. The fill hose is available if you do not have one for about $15. The Sea Star Fluid is about $20. Mercury Steering Fluid is around $15.

Look on You tube for Sea Star Videos lots of good how to's in my humble opinion
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
SJD

Post by SJD »

thanks goat very helpful. I think I will top it off and see how things work out if level drops again I will investigate for leaks. SD
netman
Your location: Chandler,Indiana

Post by netman »

I recently installed the Seastar Pro on my comm fishing boat and so far I am very happy with it. I have about sixty hours or so running time and Its sweet. Netman
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

yes.......THERE'S MAINTENANCE!!!!!

Always inspect the end caps on your steering cylinder. If there's any slickness or oily residue, you are leaking thru those end caps.
They should be replaced, ASAP.

Teleflex isn't what it used to be, as I have friends that have not needed to replace anything but the cylinder end caps in over 15 years of ownership......and they did that just once!

My boat is a 2006/07 and I have had 3 helms, and 2 cylinders. YEAH, that's allot of replacing in a short period of time!!

If you turn the wheel hard to one side, go look and inspect that Stainless Shaft. If there's any "marring" or "discoloration"
your end caps (seals) are wearing and will leak. If you see that marring or discoloration....Join the club.
That's a product of moisture in your system (inside the cylinder) and is getting what teleflex calls "stray voltage". And is eating which is a harsh word I know, you SS shaft.

You'll have to come off your engine block at the green ground connection (Honda) and run a wire, (I used 12 gauge) to the end of the SS shaft by adding a large ring connector (SOILDERED!!!!!) and shrink wrapped as it will be highly exposed.

That's what Teleflex says. I did it.

Do not let those end caps leak and use the hell outa the boat. You're contaminating the system because if oil leaks out, water also leaks IN.

As far as the "helm pump", if you over-fill the pump, and sit the boat in the hot sun (Yes, I'm in Florida) the system will BURP and put oil all over you console that'll leak down onto the deck. And if your deck is old and the paint is wore out, the deck paint will suck up that oil like a sponge and you'll have a stain for about 4 weeks depending on how long the oil sat on the paint, even after you wash the oil off with HD degreaser. (I TALK FROM EXPERIENCE!)

There is a measure space that the owners manual will tell you, how full the helm "should be".

Good luck,
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Dave I was waiting for you to join this discussion. What took you so long? You have been Busy fishing and working in your swim suit and Flip flops again?
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Polywave
Your location: Kenmore, WA

Post by Polywave »

I learned the hard way that failure to keep the motor cylinder components greased will turn into a big problem. I discovered mine when my motor was tilting slower. The aluminum end components on they cylinder and the stainless pivot shafts on the motor mount siezed and were nearly impossible to separate. I clean them up and re-grease them every year now. :smitty:
Poly
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

goatram wrote:Dave I was waiting for you to join this discussion. What took you so long? You have been Busy fishing and working in your swim suit and Flip flops again?

Yep, out making them big payments,as hard as I can. NO OIL SPILL in the Gulf this year. So this July, when all the yankees come down to sweat jus a little mo' in July, so far it hasn't been like last year. Thats fer' sure

I can't imagine how many people go to the gulf, instead of the atlantic.

Hell, I wanna go there too. And never look back. Heat or no heat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic