Electronics Inventory

General boating discussion
wetwhopper
Your location: Pacific Beach, WA.

Electronics Inventory

Post by wetwhopper »

Want to make sure I didn't forget anything regarding electronics or safety equipment besides the regular Coast Guard mandated things.

- fixed mounted Uniden vhf w/ a 4' Little Giant Shakespear antenna (to be mounted on top of center console tower)
- handheld, floating Cobra vhf (always tucked into my pfd)
- Lowrance gps/chartplotter
- Richie compass (wired in for night lighting)
- New 8 hp 4-stroke kicker motor
- Perko switch (dual batteries)
flares, whistle, 1st Aid kit, knife, throwing ring, tow rope, anchor (chain and float), local chart, tide table, pfds for kids and wife, fire extinguisher.

Am I forgetting anything obvious?

Since I'm not self-bailing like the majority of you Pacific/Ludwing owners should I get a huge bilge pump (I think mine will have a 1000 gal/ pump)? Any ideas or considerations will be appreciated.

Thanks (again).
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
wetwhopper

Re: Electronics Inventory

Post by wetwhopper »

Do any of you guys carry EPRIBS on your boats?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

EPIRB on the right and fire extinguisher on the left.

I would install a 2nd manually operated bilge pump [ on a switch at the helm ]
Get a GOOD hand held GPS.
Get about a 6 GOOD dock lines.
Get a couple FENDERS .
Spare prop/nut/washer/cotter pin for both motors.
Get a BOAT TOOL KIT that does NOT LEAVE the boat.
Get SPARE fuses for all electronics.
DO NOT jerry rig ANYTHING on your boat use the right wire , the right fuses, the right parts, you and your FAMILIES LIFE depends on what YOU do to your boat.
If you can DOUBLE hose clamp it ....DO IT.
Use the right hose for your bilge pumps .
Use AGM batteries .
Install a on board battery maintainer .

This should get you started for now.
Attachments
T-top E-box.jpg
T-top E-box.jpg (4.22 KiB) Viewed 6050 times
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

I would consider upgrading at least a couple of your flares to the SOLAS models. The cheapo units that satisfy the coast guard regs are OK for the lake, but I wouldn't count on them to get much attention offshore. Now that you can get a nice PLB for just over $200 bucks, I wouldn't leave home without one.
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

O.K. Good points Welder and Bob. Pppphhheeeewwww... this is going to take a few paydays to acquire a lot of this stuff. What does a good quality EPRIB go for these days?

Bob, Solas flares are a great idea. What's their shelf life? I'm not sure what a PLB is. Could you enlighten me? Thanks for the practical suggestions.

Welder, I'm taking this whole saltwater fishing thing very seriously... so seriously in fact, that for too many years I was almost chicken to even fish in the bay, let alone cross the Grays Harbor, Wa. bar (which I've still only done a few times) in my own 15' Alumaweld. I'm trying to be safe, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on the opportunity for my boys (too young to cross the bar now @ 4 & 6 yrs. of age) and I to experience good times fishing together. I have a friend that has been fishing since he was a "wee man" with his dad. I love the confidence he's acquired over the years fishing the ocean in his 17' boat, while never losing his respect for the sea. There's been more than a few times where he said, "sorry boys, were not crossing the bar today."

I watched another dad and his kids practice man overboard drills on the bar awhile ago, which I thought was a great idea. I figure if I fall out the boat, my boys better know how to pick me up, administer first aid and then have the skills to get back over the bar and communicate with other boaters and the Coast Guard. What great skills for young men to have to learn. :sarge:

Thanks again.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

I would get the necessary things first. A EPRIB is a luxury; Needed if you are running offshore and there are no boats around. Your Radio with DSC connected to your GPS/FF will send a position location to the surrounding boats and CG by pushing the Emergency Button. The EPRIB costs at least $600 and goes up from there. A Spot PLB Personal Locating Beacon Sends a signal to a satellite then to a processing location that notifies the CG. Cost $200 or less does have a Subscription fee. You fishing in Grey's Harbor or right outside in the Ocean you will be fine with the DSC Radio. Help will not get to you any Faster with a EPRIB. After you get the Radio installed go to Boat US and get your MMSI Number and Get it to Tower Todd on BD as well as Les here. I have not done the AAB list (Sorry I do not fish with many members Here that are not BD Members also) I have a current BD MMSI list in the boat and have 15 of my closest Fishing buddies pre installed.

Last thing Get the Basics. If you have money get more stuff. Do not go HogWild cause the wife will Kill you for the amount of money you will be spending.B.O.A.T means what it means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a reason
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

If your not already , Join BoatUS, not only for towing but for safety classes and other good stuff. Be sure to get the unlimited on the water and the road side assist. It is the BEST $150.00 a year you will ever spend, one tow on the water or road will pay for about 10 years of membership.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

This is the PLB that I keep in my vest. http://www.rei.com/product/791972/mcmur ... n-with-gps They were on sale for $199 last week and can usually be found at that price if you keep your eye out. You can get the SOLAS approved Pains Wessex parachute flares for $28 at Fisheries Supply. ImageI always pick up one new safety item every time I am in the shop, so it doesn't hurt quite as bad as doing it all at once.
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Man, you guys don't screw around. That looks like some serious hardware. I'm gonna have to do this a little bit at a time. Guess I'm gonna have to put the down riggers on hold for awhile (sticker shock!) :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Thanks for all the advice, it will NOT go unheard. You guys are alright!
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

get $500 in a sock ready to PM anyone for as set of DR's. People are upgrading to the new scotties and selling the old set for half price.

Boat US Towing will not work in grays Harbor no tow boats except for CG.

Hopefully you kept all of the take off things from the old boat. Life jackets and anchor and such. Saved some money.
Look for someone upgrading a FF GPS or get the Lowrance HDS 5 it will work and its $500, Radio with DSC is $100 to $200 and antenna shop around and get a good one. Money well spent I have a couple of kids vests for you (Free) and a New Mustang Auto Vest in the package. Cheap to you @ 1/3 the cost of new I payed $180 for it. The Fire extinguisher You kept right. I just bought a new one at Wally world for $20. Hand held flares for now and a air horn and a throw cushion will meet the requirements. The rest will come
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Hi Goattram, I already purchased a color combo Lowrance Elite 5 gps/fish finder, and Uniden fixed vhf w/ the emergency lat/long feature, Little Giant vhf antenna and have plenty of life jackets, anchor, etc. I'm finding out that I still need some above motioned items that the guys are telling me would enhance the safety factor of my boat. i.e. P.L.B., spare prop, coat of Sharkhide, etc. :skipper:

P.S. Maybe I should start a marine towing service in Grays Harbor. Would give me a great excuse to buy a Lee Shore 23' Swiftsure or a 23' Pacific t-top? LOL! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
cape steve
Your location: cape cod

Post by cape steve »

A lifesling may be a better option than the throw ring. Very hard to get someone in boat with a throw ring only (try it sometime), next to impossible if they are tired or injured or cold.
If you plan to be out at night some sort of lighted beacon to be attached to life jackets is a good idea, people are almost impossible to spot in the sea at night.
Auto tether is another good idea if you plan to be out alone or with young kids.
Practicing MOB drills is a good idea. Do your passengers have any idea how to rescue you if you go overboard?

I teach all of my family (including 8 and 10 year old kids) the basics of how to operate the boat and all electronics, how to make a MAYDAY call, how to use life sling, how to call sea tow, how to find our exact position with our GPS and how to report it. Brief instructions on how to make MAYDAY call and call sea tow call are posted next to the VHF radio. If I go overboard I want them to be able to help me.

you can't be too careful, but equally important to relax and have fun....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic