More Fabrication Questions

General boating discussion
ehsvp
Your location: Milwaukee, WI

More Fabrication Questions

Post by ehsvp »

Hi everyone, I'm using 1/2 tube sections of 6061 aluminum for the rub rails on my boat. The material is 3/16" thick and it is 2 7/8" OD. One of the rub rails is continuous from the very front of the bow to the stern. I'm having a problem correctly bending the pipe in the bow area. I can bend the pipe but it won't sit flat against the hull as it is very curved and slanted at the same time. I've consulted some knowledgeable friends and they say that it might not be possible as a normal 1/2 section of pipe won't bend the way I need it in two directions. I know there are boats out there with the rub rail to the bow fabricated out of aluminum tube. Since the bow is curved and on an angle one side of the pipe has a shorter radius to travel which is giving me the problem. I don't know what would be the best way to "fit" the pipe to the curve of the bow so it lies flat for welding. Any tips would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Bob
gandrfab
Your location: Edgewater Fl

Re: More Fabrication Questions

Post by gandrfab »

I have a hard time putting it into typed words, but any way.

The best thing I can think of is do like I do and make the aluminum do what you want it to.
For me on something like that it takes time, but with enough effort it will do what you want it to. :thumbsup:
tazmann
Your location: Yettem, Ca

Post by tazmann »

Without seeing it
I would think starting at the bow and working toward the back would give you more leverage with the long piece to twist and curve it, clamping it in position as you go, have to watch that you don't dent or crease the side panels, wedging 2x4's across on the inside if needed
Tom
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Why not just put on straight ones on both sides up to the beginning of the bow curve. Cut a piece at an angle to finish off the ends. That is what most of the builders do. That is the other mod I need to do as well.

It is easier without the possibility to screw up the fwd bow plate Like Tazmann posted previously.

Harbor Freight has a ring roller that is cheap enough that you can play with to see if you can make them. Added benefit is you still will have the roller for other projects in the future. :smitty: Bow rails and such things
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic