Quintrex factory in SC - come and gone in a flash

General boating discussion
rkdownes
Your location: Apex, NC, US

Quintrex factory in SC - come and gone in a flash

Post by rkdownes »

:deadhorse:

Around April 1st 2004, The Australian Quintrex Boat company set up a facility in Moncks Corner, South Carolina:
http://www.crda.org/news/local_news/aus ... region-350

One year later I drove by this facility. It was closed up, and looked like it hadn't been used in months. The above news article quotes the Quintrex U.S. general manager, Tim Atkins, who said, "We expect to produce 350-400 boats in our first year and we anticipate a very rapid growth within the next two or three years. The U.S. plant in South Carolina will enable us to be more flexible and to more rapidly adapt to changes and the demand and needs of our U.S. customers."

So, what happened? Years in the planning, for an operation that dries up in less than a year?
Napa Mike
Your location: Bainbridge Island WA

Re: Quintrex factory in SC - come and gone in a flash

Post by Napa Mike »

maybe it was an april fools trick?
rocky_taco

Post by rocky_taco »

I like their darts and dory's. The 340 car topper is used on the Kimberly Kampers which are bad off road campers. Heck, I think Steve Irwin the Crock Hunter used these tininess to catch crocks. Wish, they would have made it in the USA. It seems like a nice boat. Would like to have been able to check out a 420 dory. Though, a 16 foot metal shark Skiff might be nice too.
Katoh
Your location: A.C.T Australia.

Post by Katoh »

Hi gentlemen
Doesn't really surprise me, I'm not certain but I believe they are having trouble down here as well even though they or owned or own I believe 4 other brands. Mind you they are not what we consider top end of the market boats. We have boat builders folding up left right and centre. a real shame as some of them where really starting to make a quality vessel.
Actually I don't see many people buying boats at all, every ones a little on edge at present, just waiting to see what the future brings and hanging on to their hard earned cash.
Cheers
Katoh
I maybe slow, but I'm bloody rough!
Phillipgo
Your location: Ossining NY

Post by Phillipgo »

I own a Quintrex, and while not top tier, it is a solid boat that holds up well.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Maybe it was that small aluminum boat market is flooded. Like a few of these G3, Triton, SeaArk, Lowe, Alumacraft, Lund, the competion is tough....or it could have jus been that ole lapstrake look.
rkdownes

Post by rkdownes »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Maybe it was that small aluminum boat market is flooded. Like a few of these G3, Triton, SeaArk, Lowe, Alumacraft, Lund, the competion is tough....or it could have just been that ole lapstrake look.
I find it puzzling that, given the market which they should have known about, it took them (from what I can discern) 6 months to go poof. After how much expenditure, incorporation fees, long distance travel, local representatives, etc.

Anyway, I wanted one ... "Lots of potential" I thought, high freeboard, etc.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

When I read your last post, something came to me. Besides well known competition being a suspect for the departure.

I've only saw pics of these boats, from other owners here. "So I ain't no exput."

But maybe someone else can interject.

Were these or are these considered "Tinnies", or heavier plate boats??

Because of the 'lapstrake" design on the sides of them, I'm shooting toward the ole tinnie aluminum boat term. So to stiffen them up??

The boats seem to be kind of a "remote" brand. What size were ya looking for, and why quintrex? Have you fished out of one before and liked it?

There's other's like them. Possibly more availible.

Just wondering... because you are right. "poof", and gone. Heard they were being built here, and then read what you found.
rkdownes

Post by rkdownes »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Have you fished ...
Ok ... moment of truth and a confession ... ready?

:shocked: I don't fish :shocked:

I'll come back tomorrow (if my account still exist) and explain more.

Ok, pretend it's tomorrow. I like alum boats 'cause they're very practical and comparatively easy to tow with a passenger car. I think frankly most of the low-mid priced, non-custom US alum boats suck as non-fishers, and often have a lousy ride in chop. The Quinnie can be had with a swim platform, protected bow, high sided, and in 15-16 foot lengths mind you.

I've been watching Craigslist USA-wide, eventually I'll find one (center console, dory ... Millennium hull preferably). Thinking of one of the new Yammie 70s for power.
shansgonefishin
Your location: Cayman Islands

Post by shansgonefishin »

My 2 cent's says they didn't do their research of the US Market very well. They are probably the biggest manufacturer of boats of any shape and size in Australia. Boats in AUS (in comparison to the US) are a lot more expensive than the same boat in the US Market.

I can vouch for my 2003 18' Quintrex CC that was sold in the US for $20K brand new with extras and a 4 Stroke 115hp Suzuki. That same boat with the same configuration - had I purchased in AUS would likely have been in the $30-35K range - and the boat I bought from the US was an import.

I think they figured the US being a larger market than that of the Australian one, that they banked on a higher turn-over at the price of a smaller profit margin - but maybe someone buggered up that high turn over bit!

It's also a taste thing too I guess which has to account for alot of it - what appeals to me in Australia from a boating pespective is not the same in the US, and visa versa. There are quite a few boats in the US that have a style to them (even if it's a completely practicle one) that may sell like the bergeebers in the US market that would likely sit in a sales yard collecting red dust in Australia - regardless how good a boat it might be.

You could say the same of Quintrex I guess?

Either way, I love mine - I feel safe in it, cost's nuth'n to run and catches me alot a fish!

Shan

BTW: rkdownes - Here's one that might suit you currently on Craigslist (the same boat in AUS on the second hand market - 10-15K):

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1737

Here is ours at our favourite spot to hangout on a Sunday down here in Cayman :thumbsup:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic