Bruce Cope has updated his website

General boating discussion
Sculpin

Bruce Cope has updated his website

Post by Sculpin »

Look like some killer new designs have been posted on the updated Cope website.

Check them out.

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/

I am liking this one in particular.

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/stoc ... around.htm

Looks like he designed some of the Coastal Craft boats as well from the pictures on the home page!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Bruce Cope has updated his website

Post by Chaps »

Yeah, agree, that 26 walk around would be my next boat . . . LaConner FOR SALE!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:Yeah, agree, that 26 walk around would be my next boat . . . LaConner FOR SALE!
I'm going to try contacting Bruce for some more info on that one. I would like to know how big of fuel tank you can stuff in that thing.

:popcorn:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

I have pictures that I will post tomorrow of the Fish Right 30' walk around design. Cool Boat powered by twin 300hp Yamaha's That on you pictured is the spitting image but four foot shorter. They wanted $195,000 for it. It would be a great Tuna Boat Like that BAMF Boat you saw at the Boat show
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Lots of fun looking at that site. Thanks for putting it up here. That 28 offshore is a beautiful design. Also like the center cabin 26.
Thinking about costs related to making a center console like my Pacific 23 into a forward cabin boat like that 23 cabin design...???

There would be a bunch of things I would add to that job, like a few big alloy deck hatches and designing some useful space below the deck, re-working my bait tank and washdown pump systems, swapping out the plastic gas tank for alloy.

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/stoc ... 23ftfc.htm
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Love that boat SL Dave :thumbsup:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I just got an email back from Bruce answering some of my questions about the 26 foot walkaround.

The way it is drawn now it has a 100 gallon fuel tank. He said a 150 gallon tank would be no problem and even up to a 200 gallon (yes) tank would be doable with some hydrostatic calculations.

The hull is extendable by a couple of feet but there are some design and drawing costs associated in doing so.

The inside cabin width is 6' 4" on the charter style cabin shown. He has other cabin configurations coming in the future like a cruising configuration and a shorter cabin for those looking for more deck space (that would be me).

He says twin 150's would give a loaded boat (4 fisherman, lots of ice, fish, gear, etc.) around 42 mph or 37 knots top speed.

I'm going to be asking some more questions about this interesting vessel. This is a project I could build in the new shed. I have officially short listed this design as a possible future build.

I really like the 20 degree deadrise and the shear of the gunnels. The extra beam is nice for stability at rest and just plain old more room back there. The walk around design is awesome for bottom fishing or jig fishing. I would add door at the transom however for ease of boarding and hauling in barn door butts :thumbsup: .
Last edited by Sculpin on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

I think we should add a sub-heading onto the master list of alloy builders for designers that sell plans and cut files - OK with you Les?
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I received some more answers from Bruce today regarding the 26 walkaround design.

The inside cabin length is 7'9" from inside of rear door to the dash. There is 30" in front of that to allow for a small head compartment infront of the dash.

The length of the rear deck is 6' 8" from the rear door of the cabin to the face of the locker at the transom.

There is lots of room on the rear bulk head of the cabin to mount a second steering station.

The decks are self bailing and the scuppers are 4" x 8" one on each side (NICE!)

I am waiting to hear how much extra it would cost to redesign the hull and redraw it 2 feet longer. I was looking at some of the older Specmar designs similar to this one and I am starting to like this one alot more.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

You mention tuna door and I'm curious, how many of the prized sushi grade tuna come out of that fishery? Some of the prices being paid are simply incredible.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

dawgaholic wrote:You mention tuna door and I'm curious, how many of the prized sushi grade tuna come out of that fishery? Some of the prices being paid are simply incredible.
I just edited my post to simply say a door at the transom. It is pretty common for them to be called "tuna doors" or "doggy doors" etc. I didn't mean to start a discussion on tuna. The barn doors I was referring to are great big Halibut.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Some of those halibut are so big you almost need a "garage" door to get them in the boat :beer:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Chaps wrote:I think we should add a sub-heading onto the master list of alloy builders for designers that sell plans and cut files - OK with you Les?

Lets make it happen :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

welder wrote:
Chaps wrote:I think we should add a sub-heading onto the master list of alloy builders for designers that sell plans and cut files - OK with you Les?

Lets make it happen :thumbsup:
In your euphoric absence resulting from your daughter's good news I made an executive decision and started a sub-heading. There are a lot of links to include yet but all in good time!
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

That 26' walk around is cool but the 36' patrol boat just made my short list for potential future builds if I decide to sale my last offshore build. 22 degree go fast boat I like it!
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Sculpin wrote:
dawgaholic wrote:You mention tuna door and I'm curious, how many of the prized sushi grade tuna come out of that fishery? Some of the prices being paid are simply incredible.
I just edited my post to simply say a door at the transom. It is pretty common for them to be called "tuna doors" or "doggy doors" etc. I didn't mean to start a discussion on tuna. The barn doors I was referring to are great big Halibut.
I knew what you meant and the tuna thingy was simply fresh in my mind. Lots of really big fish being caught offshore and inland right now and one of those doors could save you a hernia.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

dawgaholic wrote:I knew what you meant and the tuna thingy was simply fresh in my mind. Lots of really big fish being caught offshore and inland right now and one of those doors could save you a hernia.
Yeah the doors on the transom could save alot of grief of heaving them over the gunnel for sure. I was just in anti-hijack mode dude.

Bruce says's about 300 bucks more for the redraw as it will become a new model with the 2 extra feet and he can hopefully recoup the cost's in future sales. I can't do it right now. I hope to be able to buy the plans and cutting files next year. I am almost totally commited to this design. I like some of the Specmar stuff but this one is way more up to date on the design side of things. The designer lives here on the "rock" about a half hour away from me which is a bonus.

His site does say he has designed most of Coastal Craft's boat's. That in it self say's alot.

http://www.coastalcraft.com/

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

ReelSong wrote:That 26' walk around is cool but the 36' patrol boat just made my short list for potential future builds if I decide to sale my last offshore build. 22 degree go fast boat I like it!
That thing is bad azz for sure. A modified cabin more suited for the PNW and fishing and that thing would be awesome. :thumbsup:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Just emailed Bruce to see if we could loose the motor well, extend transom to put motors aft, add fish holds forward and aft, and ask a few other performance questions. I'd consider building that 36' patrol boat for an awesome walk around tuna slayer if I sold Reel Song II after tuna season. I'm kinda hooked on the build thing
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Shoot John, you got this one in the bag and a Year to do it like ya wanna. :thumbsup:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

dawgaholic wrote:Shoot John, you got this one in the bag and a Year to do it like ya wanna. :thumbsup:
A year to wait before I can buy the plans dawg. Then who knows how long before she's done. I would have to sell the Sculpin just to power and semi outfit the damn thing
:shocked:
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Bruce updated his site again!

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/stock/index.htm

He added a couple of new designs including a kick azz 10' New Zealand style jet dingy!!! (I'm looking for some really cheap used jet ski components so I can build one of these bad azz little toys for my son and I to play around with).

He added pic's of the 26' walk around that I want to build. I want to change the design so it is 4' longer and larger fuel capacity etc. The cabin would stay where it is just more deck space behind it. If it ever comes to light there will be a ton of other cool stuff integrated into her as well but it is all top secret for now lol.

The 21' cuddy has some pic's added as well with the original COPE decal's on her side. Cool stuff.

Check it out.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

That is a cool boat John. I wish there were pic of the cabin--but perhaps the cabin was not finished yet. I hope you get to build your special super secret 30' version (the "SSS30")!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Just went to his site again today and he added a 14' jet boat!!! Looks like the big brother to the cool little 10'er.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

akcat

Post by akcat »

I see on his website the pictures of kingfishers and coastal cruisers, did he disign those hulls?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic