Mounting aluminum fuel tanks in a NON ALLOY boat.

General boating discussion
piperca

Mounting aluminum fuel tanks in a NON ALLOY boat.

Post by piperca »

Sorry, I don't have an alloy boat, but I do need some help that is related to the use of alloy.

I am installing new tanks in my boat (28' Skipjack) and have removed the original rectangular 140 gallon tank and am installing 2 belly tanks, 82+ gallons each. The original tank was foamed in, but I want to install the new tanks without foam, since foam can cause corrosion.

I attempted to glue King Starboard spacers to the underside of the tank to allow an airway around the tank; however, the 3m 5200 did not stick to the tank or the King Starboard. I intend on adding tabs to the side of the tank to secure it to the top of the stringers, but I need to make sure the tank is off the NON ALLOY hull. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can accomplish this? I can post photos if that would help.

Thanks,
Andrew
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

What would you coat the tanks with and what would make good spacers or shims as the tanks don't fit the hull perfect ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

The original tank was foamed in, but I want to install the new tanks without foam, since foam can cause corrosion.

Not so. What causes the corrosion is water and lack of air getting to the alum.

Put it back the same way it was. Use 4lb density foam.

BUT, coat the new tank with coal tar Epoxy before you install it.

Water got into it thru a leaky hatch. Time did that or someones assinin work?

Here's a sample. Scroll Down

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic. ... hichpage=1
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
piperca

Post by piperca »

That is a great article; I wish I had seen that a couple of weeks ago!

As I said before, in my original post, I changed the tank from a rectangular style to a belly style. I have only got about 3/4"-1" space around the tank now; therefore, I don't think that is enough for foam, is it? I know a littel of that stuff goes a long way!
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

3/4in to 1in is not uncommon. Not a problem.

I actually use the toung jack to adjust the angle of the boat if nessissary to get the liquid foam to move into all cavities.

When messing with this foam you have a VERY limited time to mix and pour.

It must all be setup up in the boat. You don't have time to be climbing in and out with mixed foam. Use plastic sheeting taped to the deck to keep spill's off of stuff.

I use "Dixie" cups [plastic cups] to mix in. I also use milk jugs with a opening cut in them, but the handle left on.

Once you pour Pt A with Pt B, you stir it for about 45sec. It will change color slightly [looks like coffee with a bunch of milk in it]

Then you better be pouring! Do not use this stuff if the temp is below 70deg. It will not expand correctly /as much as it should.

Note that 4lb density is not available at the box boat stores. Only 2lb density there.
You will need to order it from a place like fgci.com. That's where I get mine.
piperca

Post by piperca »

This'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

This is the area that I will be working in.

The stringers are 9" tall, so you get the idea; from the keel to the underside of the aft berth is approximately 23". I think it will be quite the challenge preparing the foam in that confined space, but I'm sure it is doable.

Any additional input?
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

I see the tabs on the side of the tank,but there is no place to attach them to the boat. You must do this.

This is to stop the foam from pushing the tank up while it is expanding.

You want foam under the tank in that void. This will help support it and where I was referring to using the tong jack on the trailer to make the foam run underneath so it supports the whole thing.
piperca

Post by piperca »

The tabs you see are to connect the two tanks together. I have yet to have the other tabs welded on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic