Cool WCVI fishing vid with a nice alloy boat

Fishing, Fixing, boating and How-to Videos
Sculpin

Cool WCVI fishing vid with a nice alloy boat

Post by Sculpin »

I found this one on youtube. Gives folks a really good prospective of fishing the WCVI. I'm going to buy one of those go pro camera's tomorrow!

http://youtu.be/nQguQStPkoQ
Last edited by Sculpin on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
pjay9

Re: Cool WCVI fishing vid with a nice alloy boat

Post by pjay9 »

Now that was good! Nice music too! Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Great Video, nice find! :clap:
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Dang seal at the end

Summer is coming
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Here is another one. Those South Island folks sure like their "Northwest 's" (must be nice for Doug who owns Northwest Aluminum Craft to be in such demand he doesn't even have a website !!!) . Great boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAZK7EZ5 ... re=related
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Since I don't know, Ima asking: Fly reels....for the thrill and sport and simplicity of use? :popcorn:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

dawgaholic wrote:Since I don't know, Ima asking: Fly reels....for the thrill and sport and simplicity of use? :popcorn:

We call them mooching reels and they are a blast. Pretty much SOP (as Jetty would say) up here.

Here is a link to the best ones made in the world right here on Vancouver Island. Yes we make great tackle and gear here in Canada. Too bad our government doesn't recognize sports fishing as an economic boom!

http://www.islander.com/main.php

The MR3's are the shizzle for sure. At around $550 Canadian they are not cheap.

http://www.islander.com/products.php?pr ... lblw=false
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Verrrrrrrrry interesting! Never saw them used like that before. You got the wheels turning now! :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Dawg,

Don't let those wheels turn too much. I have no idea, and can't even get an answer....."qualified answer", or at least one that makes sence to me why they use those reels. Maybe they don't need 50 pounds of drag, which there's no way those can provide.

Seems to me any bait caster or trolling type reel would also work as in it's alll "jus' trolling...mostly."

What needs to happen is some redneck from Bazzaro world Fla. needs to show up, "up there" with a new Shimano Tranx, with a 7:1 gear ratio and babies butt smooth drag, or a Mini (twin drag) Accurate and a long wippy azz rod, and get on the boat and catch some.

I'm sure though other reels are used, because "I'z seen dem on the TV."

I see only this advantage. The reels are light, and the cost is light too. $89.00

Maybe after trolling you can hit the river a cast a few Fuzzy wolly-buggers at the same fish, by changing the spool to a fly casting line?

Here's the Promo VIDEO, but still doesn't explain WHY?
http://youtu.be/ypuFdsy3Cb4

It's a throwback from fly fishing for the same species....Still looks like a knuckle-buster to me :!:
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Captain Dave,

This is too surreal not to share. Both me and the G-son are suffering from the cold he infected me with so we've hunkered down a tad to avoid the further aggravation of the invisible pollen. But this means he and I watch Outdoors related programing in amongst interludes of Thomas the Train and Chuggintons videos (he loves trains right now).

Since the sleep patterns have been upset, we were up rather late for us (2300) and a thirty minute show I wasn't familiar with came on the Outdoor Channel featuring a fellow chumming up Mako's in close proximity to the shore off the San Diego coast. He caught Mako after Mako with his fly rod, the battles lasting up to a hour. Dude had it going on! And he fished out of a Triton Bay boat to boot, a fine example of someone who quite literally had the time and moxie to learn to do it all by himself. Barbless hooks only, so he lost several that did the Pit Bull spinning maneuver as every one hit the bait on top near the boat. Damned exciting if you ask me!

I've never used Fly Fishing tackle so naturally I was intrigued. The Reel he used was very large and had a Skull & Crossbones decal on one side, don't know if that was the logo of the manufacturer but maybe someone in the know has seen this show before and can fill in the blanks. His Tube Fly rig was attached to 80# wire with a 10/0 de-barbed hook at the end, sufficiently stout looking.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Here's the Promo VIDEO, but still doesn't explain WHY?
http://youtu.be/ypuFdsy3Cb4

It's a throwback from fly fishing for the same species....Still looks like a knuckle-buster to me :!:
Great video Jetty. Thanks for the link. Those Shimano's is what we are running. One day I'll own a set of custom Islanders with my name on one and my son's name engraved on the other. I'm waiting for a special occasion like his graduation or something.

Don't think into so much buddy. Its not a conspiracy really :rotfl: . Almost all of B.C., a little bit in Wash., a tiny bit in Alaska use them. The only thing I can tell you is they are FUN!!!

Maybe I should package up and old outfit of mine and mail to you so you can try one yourself.

Cheers,
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Finally got to watch the vid link and WHY don't MORE companies utilize a little tongue in cheek like Shimano does there?
No matter if one is unfamiliar, that was entertaining! :clap:
Bob5292

Post by Bob5292 »

I leave the fancy reels at home when I head to Canada and clamp my cheap mooching reels to my 10'6" rods. I don't have to worry about them getting stolen on the way up and I don't look like a "Rich American A-Hole" They last forever, hold a ton of line, are extremely simple, and offer unlimited drag by palming the reel. I still have an old Peetz reel that I learned to fish on that was handed down by my grandpa that has never been serviced and still works fine.
bigdogeh

Post by bigdogeh »

Awesome video. Can't wait to get back on the water chasing springs! I'll be sharing these youtube links with my friends. I'm sure they'll enjoy them. :beer:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic