Something Different

General boating discussion
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Something Different

Post by pjay9 »

Tonight it was raining some then the wind died and the clouds cleared the water went flat the moon rose and 3 Elvis's got on board along with some zombies and princess. The pilot house is full of goodies, cupcakes, candy, pound cake, muffins...it is the beginning of the holiday treats according to the crews that have been there for a while! Happy Hwn to everyone! :beer:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

PJ, great posts, you should be able to get some pictures of some funny stuff and people that ride below ya.

:joecool:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

I have already learned that there are some characters that go to these islands...Anderson is the bigger of the two and is public...Ketron is privately held, yet has some public bits about it, but not inviting! There is a fellow that is always ackward for Ketron...likes his libations and then tryis to bring stuff aboard that is unsafe to drive/tow...a real PAIN!

Already had 3 'NO START'...we have a battery jumper on deck...and get them going in a hurry! If not they ride until the tow truck arrives or it starts...problem is I don't get to see any of that as it is under the pilot house, it is reported to me by radio...I see the loading and unloading...not alot goes on there! I can tell you that when a heavy truck loades it moves the boat...that is why she is left in push against the wings with both fore and aft engines so she doesn't move in and out.

But if I do capture any good images they will be posted with a story. THX! PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Capt PJ,

I just got a chance to catch up... this is a great post, please keep it coming.

Those three guys standing on the bow have a lot of confidence in a safe & smooth docking,

Keep up the good work. U are a master at your craft! :beer:

Cheers

Rick
West Lake Willows
Your location: Canada

Post by West Lake Willows »

I also just had a chance to catch up.

Very interesting read. Thank you for taking the time to post pictures and dialog. It is very cool. I would love to one day drive such a vessel. If I was local I would be very willing to take you up on a ride along.

Scott
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

Capt PJ, I hope this lubber's question isn't too embarrassing?

Does Port and Starboard swap as you move from wheel house to wheel house and swap ends of the ship? Is the ferry going forward and back or is it always forward?

thanks for the great post(s), wonderful images and insight. Every time I'm in Puget's Sound I try to take a rental car on the State's 'Ferry Ring' around the middle Sound just to enjoy the trips and the RORO system.

Thanks, and cheers when you're on the beach and can 'light the smoking lamp'.

Kevin Morin
kmorin
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

With a double ender the boat switches ends when ahead the port is left and so on. There are two ends (DAH!) No.1 and 2, so most everything is refered to the end it is on...like splitting the boat crosswise in half...therefore it is MAIN ENGINE 1 or rudder 1 or No. 1 tank bildge...etc etc.

Gens are midships and one each side...don't rememebr how they are refered as...but that is the engineers dept. Both ends are identical in the pilot house...the radar on the left is the master and runs off the array on that end of the house overhead. In the pic you see that the shift throttles are staggered..obviously the one close forward is that propulsion system and when thinking about it the handle when moved to point in the direction the propeller will take you by either pushing or pulling...so when going forward both handles are pointed forward...to slow the forward engine is pushed aft and this will push water ahead of you and slow you and since there is way on the boat slows...if sitting still it would back you up...the reason to slow with the forward engine is to maintain control of the stern with water being pushed past the aft rudder surface allowing control...you don't need way on to move these babies sideways...it is better than a bow thruster most of the time!

There are two sets of running lights and a switch you throw when walking from end to end so the red is always on the port side.

Hope that gives some clarification. Don't forget to vote! PJ
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

Thanks Capt'n PJ
pjay9 wrote:There are two sets of running lights and a switch you throw when walking from end to end so the red is always on the port side.
that says it all.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
kmorin
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

NOW HEAR THIS!!!! Never ever got to say that!

UPDATE: My last run for WATERWAYS was last night for the Christmas lights parade on Lake Washington...wind was a up around 15 to 20 which made drifting with about 50 boats a bit fun and the rain didn't quit either, so the pax mostly stayed inside, but it was a good show. Didn't stay at the dock last in my camper night as I would have normally, drove home in the building winds and heavy rain...this morning it is blowing for us in the NW...maybe gusts here to 35 40.

It is sad to leave them and I got many farewells and loads of hugs. Left my keys for the Port Captain in his box...so it is OFFICIAL!!!

Working driving the ferry is on the docket right now, but always looking for new adventures, if you hear of any pls let me know. I will always consider the opportunity. You know, the funny thing is I don't really need to work any longer but it sure is nice to be paid for doing what you really enjoy!

Another sad thing happened this last week...the two sweet dogs we rescued over 6 years ago were so sick and blind and going deaf, one heart failure and the other skin issue that was not healling after a year's worth of treatments...they were miserable and couldn't make it outside any longer...we said Good Bye and hugs the one who was normally very warey of me licked my hand and just looked at me...it is hard to do that and we miss them...they get into your heart.

A happy note: My daughter husband and my two Gkids were aboard last night and we had a grand time! Got to take them fishing this next summer...they so enjoyed it last time!

So there you have! Warm regards, to everyone. Capt PJ
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Damn, thats all the bumpers ya got to make that thing come in so as not to wake a baby??

I just looked it up. Our Ferry isn't run by Hornblower anymore, but rather HMS global maritime. Hmmm, that's interesting. A lower bid?

The one I see about every day has monster bumper systems
Mayport Ferry
The current in that river is obnoxious as all hell...I know I hate it!
pjay9

Post by pjay9 »

HMSGM is the new name for Hornblower...you are right that is quite the wing wall system. Good post! How much current kts-wise?
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Ohhhhhh okay, yeah that Horn>>>>>>blower name isn't as catchy. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I guess upwards of 5 kts as per what the Pilots publish in their local Nav book which has info you'll get no where else.
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15
Your location: Wits End

Post by Sabs28 »

Very Cool PJ :joecool: Always looking forward to seeing more pictures of your adventures. :thumbsup:
Chtucker
Your location: Redmond, wa

Post by Chtucker »

WTH were they doing?

Figure you might know being in the same 'hood
http://threesheetsnw.com/blog/2013/01/f ... -townsend/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic