Albacore Tuna tackle

Need a Tackle FIX?, This is the Place
Sculpin

Re: Albacore Tuna tackle

Post by Sculpin »

I thought we should bring this one back to life. After being out 3 times in my own boat this year I think I have a basic spread down.

First we deploy the Yo Zuro Dabo pins (the big orange thingy's). They sit about 25 feet back just inside of the rear cleats.

Secondly we set out the handlines. They are 35 feet back right off the rear cleats which puts the lures in the thin clear patch between the prop wash and the wake. We did try some Yo-zuri K type diving boards for a little bit on one trip but no luck on them yet.

Thirdly we put out the two longer rod lines in the first set of rod holders closest to the stern. They are set back around 60 feet and have small Yo-zuri trolling rabbits 8' in front of the lure.

Fourth and final we set out two more rod lines in the next set of rod holders with spash boats attached 8' in front of the lure.

These slash boats or Hokuriku style boards are homemade copies of the Yo Zuri product you can buy. We call them PMO's (poor man's outriggers). They will get your lure 20' out to the side and we run them a little closer in like 45' back or riding the 3rd or 4th wake. I really like these units and they work. The one trip where we caught 18 fish, the starboard PMO rod caught 8 fish!!!

http://www.englundmarine.com/products_s ... lies.shtml

I guess the way we have started to do this is start in the prop wash and frame around it. Seems to work good and is easy to deploy the gear quickly this way.

I read the infamous Franko method and it seemed to work for us. We did not have a lone buffalo or whiskey rod out the back and we ran all the same colored lures on every line. 2 of the trips involved lot's of doubles and a couple of triples.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Don't forget Cedar plugs on the hand lines :thumbsup: The PNW guy's are down rigging experts I bet when the winged tuna are a bit deeper it will work. :popcorn:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

[quote="mojomizer"]Don't forget Cedar plugs on the hand lines :thumbsup: The PNW guy's are down rigging experts I bet when the winged tuna are a bit deeper it will work. :popcorn:[/quote

We tried the downriggers last year with 15 lb. balls running 250 lb braided line. At 7mph the blow back was unreal but they did work. They caught 3 of the 5 fish caught that day. I'm just worried about breaking one off the Scotty swivel base going that speed. The new Scotties can handle 20 lb balls so make a direct mount with out the swivel base and then you could get em down farther with out worrying lol.

We were running heavy back boned Fenwick mooching rods with single action Islander reels with 40 lb. mono. Total Blast.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

7 knots :shocked: was thinking a small anchovie colored and size swim bait and trolling for salmon type speed. Once you found a area holding fish.

Commercial jig boats troll slower than 7 knots.

Do you guy's run a current on your down riggers? Albacore are real sensitive to stray voltage in a negative way.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic