Insulated Fish Holds

General boating discussion
Fisherman
Your location: Central CA

Insulated Fish Holds

Post by Fisherman »

Thinking ahead for my next boat, I would like insulated in-floor holds for fish/ice. I have in mind that these holds will basically be a box within a box, with insulation in between the aluminum boxes. I'm thinking it will all be sealed up, so no moisture can get to the inuslation.

Here's the questions: What type of insulation would be recommended, and how much? Or are there any better ways to keeping ice/fish cold? I'm not big on having ice chests on board. I want to be able to catch a fish, bleed it, and then put it in the hold for the rest of the day.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13
Your location: Southern Philippines

Re: Insulated Fish Holds

Post by waterdog247 »

Fisherman,
I am working on this exact project for my boat.

Originally the plan was to spray expanding foam insulation on the walls and floor and when it was dry sand it to about 1 inch thick. Next i was going to shoot a bedliner-like material. Recent advice from a commercial fisherman has me looking at a different idea.

Using 1 or 2 inch closed cell foam sheets to line the hold, then NON ALLOY and gel coat over the top of it.

I think i would rather have the flexible barrier then the hard gel coat, but he swore it was more durable than the rubberized coating.

I am still on the fence.
buck3
Your location: Olympic Peninsula,WA

Post by buck3 »

I am trying to figure out how to do a fish hold in my boat right now too. I am going to finish off the inside with NON ALLOY and gel coat. The slick surface really helps keeping the scale loss to a minimum. I'm not sure how a more abrasive surface will do. I have been using half totes, but really want to get something done before summer. I was thinking either framing in the hold with ply and glassing in foam, or just using something like a nida core and glassing over it. The nida core might have enough insulation to not need foam. I can "borrow" some scraps to do it. I'm just not sure yet.

So I will be watching to see how it works out for you.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13
Your location: Southern Philippines

Post by waterdog247 »

I have never worked with glass or gel coat before. How difficult is it for a first timer? Lots of you tube vids make it look pretty easy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic