SWITCH

General boating discussion
Katoh
Your location: A.C.T Australia.

Re: SWITCH

Post by Katoh »

goatram wrote:They drilled through the new paint to attach them and they all developed the Dreaded Cancer. New boat will have no Paint except the Bottom. It will live in Westport for the Summer.
The funny or not so funny thing is, if they used a little Duralac were they drilled the holes that most likely would of not happened.
New Boat, You say? Is this happening soon or just a passing thought :?:

The only way I'll get a new tub is if I build the darn thing myself, which is what I was meant to do in the first place. A power greater than mankind (mine) will definitely not let me buy a new boat, not while there are still shoe sales. :sarge:

I should really stop drinking, I'm starting to make sense. :shocked:
Cheers
Katoh
I maybe slow, but I'm bloody rough!
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Katoh;
Pull up a Chair and a Beer Mate and
See My thread on the Journey
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4409
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
jj225
Your location: So Cal

Post by jj225 »

If you are going to use plastic wahsers in the first place, why use s.s. washers at all? How will they be effective when they are not going to be touching the metal and your plastic will be the weakest link. Should it crack and break off your s.s. washer isn't going to do much good.
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

jj225 wrote:If you are going to use plastic wahsers in the first place, why use s.s. washers at all? How will they be effective when they are not going to be touching the metal and your plastic will be the weakest link. Should it crack and break off your s.s. washer isn't going to do much good.
What I do, is use both a SS washer and a poly washer make sure there about the same size. The poly washer acts like an insulating buffer between the the stainless and the aluminum. Now by having a washer on a washer it acts like a compressive sandwich, you can really tighten down that bolt and the poly washer will go nowhere. You should also use a drop of Duralac were the stainless thread passes through the aluminum, then you will have a total isolation/seal between your SS and your Al.

hope that helps.
Cheers
Katoh
jj225
Your location: So Cal

Post by jj225 »

Yup that helps. I'm trying to decide if I want to have the builder do the install on the trim tabs or me do it. Not crazy about the idea as I'm sure it's a pain.... but on the other hand kind of pricey too. Maybe that's why lol!
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

I'm not the right person to give you any advice on the install of trim tabs or even using them for that matter.
Maybe a good time to write up a new thread on the matter, certainly the other guys will have some experience.
My 2cents worth, they cant be that had to install surely, not certain how they fit on but may pay to weld on some tabs on the transom and bolt them up onto those, that way your not actually touching your hull at all?
just a thought :idea: Good luck.
Cheers
Katoh
THEMOORINGMAN
Your location: RHODE ISLAND

Post by THEMOORINGMAN »

Hi Guys,

I'm installing tabs now. I just had them powder coated to hide the SS....except for the zinc areas. I'll post some pics in the "your alloy boat" / "My Edwing 25" post.
Last edited by THEMOORINGMAN on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
THEMOORINGMAN
Your location: RHODE ISLAND

Post by THEMOORINGMAN »

So I just looked up Duralac and it seams to be a brand name and what you're refering to is anti-sieze compound. That should always be used!

What I accidently found is silicone is bad for aluminum!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic