New Boat

General boating discussion
Boatpoor

New Boat

Post by Boatpoor »

So I am thinking pretty seriously about adjusting "The Fleet". I am considering either buying a used 26-28 ft. Pilot house cuddy or possibly having one built. I really like the Seawolf boats but my budget precludes me from buying one new and I have rarely seen one used setup close to what I want. I would like to stay at $150,000 or under. My other parameters are fully welded joints with no extrusions, a full flotation bracket for an outboard or outboards. No more out drives for me! A 9' 6" beam would be nice, along with a stand up head and a full galley and dinette. Also a rear helm station is a must. I am gathering info on some production boats and so far I am looking at North River and Duckworth/Weldcraft. The latter does not catalogue a 9'6" beam yet, but I hear it is in the works. I also like the Silverstreaks but new they probably out of my budget. Any input or insight on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
ReelSong

Re: New Boat

Post by ReelSong »

Better check this one out, Id like to fish her this summer but could be persuaded and I'm asking 155K seems like it is exactly what your looking for
Attachments
boat on trailer.jpg
boat on trailer.jpg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 14292 times
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Terry Reel Song has the Build of that Boat on IFish and I think here. I would Defiantly look at it. When you do look at it You will find that it was done with quality items Wiring and Such.
Here is the build
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=290507
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

Thanks for the link John, I will give it a look. Looks like a nice vessel. I am also spec ing a boat out with Armstrong to see how close I can come to my needs and budget.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

I think a 30' monohull Armstrong will be about 200k.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

If the cabin is big enough for you, this boat appears to be a good deal. They are down $50k from the original asking price.

http://armstrongmarine.com/p-7775-used-boats.html

Whoops, not a direct link

The Fishrite 30'
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

I briefly entertained Kingfisher boats but quickly ruled them out. It appears that they are mostly about show and I want go. I was not wild about the .160 side thickness, the ss railings that should be welded on aluminum and the copious use of paint. I have decided since I am getting pricing from Armstrong, I would also get pricing from Seawolf and Silverstreak as well. We shall see what happens. Keep the input and the used leads coming. Chtucker, I am going to look at that 28 mono hull listed on their website. Is your cat being built right now?
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Boatpoor wrote:I briefly entertained Kingfisher boats but quickly ruled them out. It appears that they are mostly about show and I want go. I was not wild about the .160 side thickness, the ss railings that should be welded on aluminum and the copious use of paint. I have decided since I am getting pricing from Armstrong, I would also get pricing from Seawolf and Silverstreak as well. We shall see what happens. Keep the input and the used leads coming. Chtucker, I am going to look at that 28 mono hull listed on their website. Is your cat being built right now?
Last I talked to Armstrong was that they were going to start in August and have it ready for the Seattle show which is the last weekend in January.

Silver streak or Henly will probably be the cheapest new. If you look on Alaska Craigslist there is a nice Glacier Craft for $110k as well. Talk to Coldwater as well, Goatram might know more, but I believe they have drawings for a smaller boat as well.
ReelSong

Post by ReelSong »

Not sure if the PM got back to you, but yes boat is still for sale and Feel free to give me a call, She's in her slip in Newport for the summer 541-771-7051 Terry and if your still interested your welcome to come down to Newport and go halibut fishing with me either this coming weekend or the next.
Attachments
IMG959182.jpg
IMG959182.jpg (52.72 KiB) Viewed 14085 times
hali.jpg
hali.jpg (59.15 KiB) Viewed 14084 times
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

Thanks for the reply Terry, I did not get your Pm. At this point I am going to keep going down the road of having a new boat built and I am soliciting bids to four different manufacturers to see what happens. When reality smacks me on the rear I will start to look at used boats in earnest and your boat would be on my list of possibles. It is a touch bigger than I want but it is in the ballpark and has nice lines. I may look you up. I added Crozier Craft to the list of possible fabricators to complete my build. I also may add Cold Water if they will still build a smaller vessel. I may stretch my budget a bit if any of the builders can deliver on my specs within 10 months or so and not too far over my original budget. We shall see.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

$150k is going to be tough to get under with a new 28' boat. You are looking at $45-50k just in motors and controls for twins.

From my long long search there are really a few different "weight classes" you need to consider.

You have the lighter North Rivers, Hewescraft, kingfishers, alumacraft style boats
Medium weight Duckworth, maybe a TJ offshore, Woolridge offshore pilot house
Heavies Armstrong, Coldwaters, Croziercraft, Daigle

Some are self bailing, some aren't.

Other than amenities, ask about the weight of the boat. A 26' Hewescraft probably weighs less than 6k, a Duckworth probably 8k, a Coldwater is probably pushing 10k plus.... That tells a lot of the story.
Last edited by Chtucker on Tue May 28, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

I am planning on a single Yamaha 350 with a 9.9 ht kicker. Still might be a pipe dream to come close to my budget. I definitely would like to stay with one of the workboat based builders though. A non self bailer will not make the cut.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Coldwater has a 29' sportboat waiting to be built. Need a buyer. Russ here as CWB is the Salesman while Bruce is the Old Man and Builder with the Knowledge. Brandon is the Welder and Rigger (Baby of the Family But a Big Dude). Neat thing is their right in Marysville. I5 to 4th St exit. Head east a few blocks and turn right. Same Building as Pacific Skiffs. Directions not to Scale.

They are soon to start a new boat.

I was elevated to their Super Secret Prostaff. I get to buy my own gear and boat. Fish and talk about winning the Powerball Lottery for my chance on owning one :rotfl:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

I probably should have a conversation with the Coldwater folfk even though I am pretty sure they are out of my budget. 6 years ago I spoke with Bruce Regarding a 31 build but ended up getting a clorox bottle built. Time to turn the page to another chapter now. On another note, what are the opinions running a single 350 HP outboard on a boat that will probably approach 9500 lbs fighting weight. Will I have a doggy hole shot? I know once on step it will be ok, but I am worried about getting it there.
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15

Post by Sabs28 »

Boatpoor wrote: I know once on step it will be ok, but I am worried about getting it there.
That was a problem on my Lund, With 4 guys in the boat it took a bit to get on plane. My spare prop is 2 inches slower, I put that on once to try it with 4 people and it gets on plane really well now, lost 3 MPH, but saftey first.

I plan on putting Max power on my next bundle of Joy/ Debt :rotfl:
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

Well I have some preliminary numbers in from Chad at Crozier Craft and Stennar at Seawolf. As I feared the numbers are going to come out closer to $200,000 than 150,000. I actually got to crawl around a couple of Seawolf boats with Stennar today. His attention to detail and craftsmanship is second to none. If I had any complaints it would be the lack of storage/fish box space in the cockpit. Also the 12 degree dead rise aft has me a bit concerned. I plan on taking a ride on one and seeing for myself before making a judgement.I am still working on communicating my needs to Armstrong and I am awaiting a call back from Silverstreak.
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Boatpoor wrote:I probably should have a conversation with the Coldwater folfk even though I am pretty sure they are out of my budget. 6 years ago I spoke with Bruce Regarding a 31 build but ended up getting a clorox bottle built. Time to turn the page to another chapter now. On another note, what are the opinions running a single 350 HP outboard on a boat that will probably approach 9500 lbs fighting weight. Will I have a doggy hole shot? I know once on step it will be ok, but I am worried about getting it there.

My Armstrong 27 is actually 29 on the bottom including the motor bracket, and it is 9-6 wide. Don't know the actual weight, Armstrong is probably among the heavier boats out there, but with almost 500 lbs of people, 150 gals of fuel, and a boatload of junk, the Yamaha 350 easily puts it on plane in freshwater at an elevation of 2,128 feet.

I have never owned a Coldwater, but closeup they look like a fantastic boat. I have owned a few Armstrongs, and can highly reccomend them. Maybe someone can help me spell recommend.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

Thanks for the post ruggit. That is the kind of firsthand knowledge I was fishing for. How about some more data like fuel burn at cruise, top speed and fuel burn at fast cruise which I would guess is around 33-35mph.
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Boatpoor wrote:Thanks for the post ruggit. That is the kind of firsthand knowledge I was fishing for. How about some more data like fuel burn at cruise, top speed and fuel burn at fast cruise which I would guess is around 33-35mph.

Wish I could say I paid attention to the fuel burn etc, but I don't burn enough fuel to really care. Mostly I run out to the middle of Coeur d Alene, and start the kicker, or putt around the lake acting like tourists.

Top speed at Port Angeles when we first sea trialed the boat was near 40 mph, not much fuel, and not much gear in the boat. Now we cruise usually under 30, but the 33 to 35 is a reasonable assumption.

The boat doesn't leap on plane, and doesn't struggle. The transition from slow to plane just evolves. The 350 swings a pretty big prop, and that may have something to do with that.
salmonater

Post by salmonater »

I almost was the launch customer of the CWB 29' 2 years ago, Price would of been about $220.00. I ended up with a Norvelle. If I had it to do over, I would go with the Coldwater.
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

I went and looked at a 26' Weldcraft yesterday just to keep my options open. While the fit and finish were reasonable, the layout and overall package paled in comparison to the Seawolf. I am probably ruined on production boats now. I should be getting info back from Armstrong soon and no word from Silver streak yet. Evidently they don't reply to phone messages so I emailed them this morning. We shall see.
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Boatpoor wrote:I went and looked at a 26' Weldcraft yesterday just to keep my options open. While the fit and finish were reasonable, the layout and overall package paled in comparison to the Seawolf. I am probably ruined on production boats now. I should be getting info back from Armstrong soon and no word from Silver streak yet. Evidently they don't reply to phone messages so I emailed them this morning. We shall see.
Seawolf builds a great boat, and should be on anyone's short list. If I were shopping now, I would also consider any Silverstreak that has been built and is available for sale.
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

The owner of Silverstreak replied back to me via email within 6 hrs or so of when I sent him an email. I sent him my spec sheet to work off of and we will see what comes of it. :clap:
glen wooldridge
Sponsor

Post by glen wooldridge »

Boatpoor wrote: On another note, what are the opinions running a single 350 HP outboard
If you would like to ride in a 9 1/2' wide, 29' Pilot with a single 350, this one is coming through. Glen

Wooldridge Boats
1303 S 96th St.
Seattle, WA. 98108-5011
Hours: Monday through Friday
7:30AM to 4:00PM
Boatpoor

Post by Boatpoor »

Thanks Glen, I might have to take you up on that. I am not so much concerned about having enough power as I am about close quarter maneuvering in adverse wind. My last pilothouse aluminum with a single I/O duo prop was a challenge at times. I would think a single outboard would be worse. If wanted can a customer get .190" sides on your boats?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic