Tuna Fishing Rocks!!!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
GrantWooldridge

Tuna Fishing Rocks!!!

Post by GrantWooldridge »

Tuna fishing rocks! My first Westport tuna trip was on Wednesday. :D I went with a customer/friend in the 23’ Wooldridge SS Offshore I sold him a few years ago. The guy is a fishing machine, has 1,000 hours on his motor and is set up for tuna fishing big time, with cool bags and all the gear for trolling and bait fishing.

It was a blast and I’ve got to believe after reeling in a bunch that these tuna would tow salmon. We had great friends and crew (my buddy Rock and his 10-year-old son Daniel, Scott, the skipper and his friend, also named Scott).

Water conditions were great, the bar was good and we hit warm water 42 miles out and put out the trolling gear. In short order we were hooked up and kept that fish on the line while we rigged with live bait and then it was ON!!!

A few rounds of this, hookups on bait, then troll to locate fish and bait’em again. By 1:30 we’d put 30 tuna on the deck, bled and cooled, and packed in ice in fish bags and coolers. Scott is a master at the process. The side bags are out of the way and proved perfect for fish care and storage.

With big smiles all around, we headed back in with good weather and again a good bar, plenty of daylight for taking care of the fish and heading for home. We could have caught more, but after looking at the bounty we all agreed six fish each was the ideal catch.

Next order of business is to do some serious canning tonight and in the morning. Needless to say it was a blast and I look forward to my next tuna outing!! Here are a few pictures from the trip, I did get some great GoPro footage which I will edit at some point.

Thanks,

Grant Wooldridge
Wooldridge Boats Inc.
On our way out to the warm water
On our way out to the warm water
IMG_9952 c wp.jpg (33.42 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Still heading out and playing with the new GoPro, great camera!!
Still heading out and playing with the new GoPro, great camera!!
IMG_9953 c wp.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
What a fight to get this guy on board, super fun
What a fight to get this guy on board, super fun
IMG_9935 c wp.jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
My good buddy Rock
My good buddy Rock
IMG_9933 c wp.jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Two more
Two more
IMG_9943 c wp.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Another picture before we started to clean.   Rock, Daniel, Me, Scott our Skipper and his pall Scott
Another picture before we started to clean. Rock, Daniel, Me, Scott our Skipper and his pall Scott
photo 3 c wp.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Our ride for the day was Scott's 23' Wooldridge SS Offshore
Our ride for the day was Scott's 23' Wooldridge SS Offshore
IMG_9947 c wp.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
welder
Site Admin

Re: Tuna Fishing Rocks!!!

Post by welder »

So much for Salmon.

:mrgreen:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
GrantWooldridge

welder wrote:So much for Salmon.

:mrgreen:

Ha ha, no don't get me wrong. I still love Salmon!!!!

Grant :)
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Bout Time. Welcome to the far Side. Your Addiction will intensify. I still need to get the Russ and his Brother Brandon out from Coldwater Boats. Payment for helping me on my Boat
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
GrantWooldridge

goatram wrote:Bout Time. Welcome to the far Side. Your Addiction will intensify. I still need to get the Russ and his Brother Brandon out from Coldwater Boats. Payment for helping me on my Boat

Yeah im hooked for sure. Very fun and great eating as well. Thanks!

Grant
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic