Saving Money...That's my middle name!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Saving Money...That's my middle name!

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Been working on building my BIG shark fishing tackle up.

Started with a Shimano TLD 50 two speed, matched with a 5'5" 80-100# class rod with slick butt and rollers tiptop and stripper guide.

Loads of 14/0 and larger circle hooks, 480# wire, crimps, and a wind-on 400# leader.

And since I'd love to have one of these on the deck for customers...."ya know, the pale office types. May need some help"
But I surely don't have anything left to spend on one of these:

Or even the cheaper TODD version. Which would help the "once a year" fisherman boat a huge coastal shark.

Then, I started looking at lap plates and fighting belts and such. Whoa...Example the "Black Magic" at $240.00 for a lap plate, and belt with all the attachments.

Then I stumbled on this :!: :!: :!: :!:
http://www.anglers-choice.com/product.p ... =37&page=8

YEP, just $28.00 :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

But ya have to buy TWO.......they retail for $109.00 at Tackledirect.com

I had to call them and ask because I couldn't believe it. But they are close-outs. I asked "do you really get the whole set-up"??? The guy said "YEP".

Almost too good to believe so I pulled the trigger.

I maybe happy or disapointed we'll see.

Twenty eight dollars for basically the same thing the BlackMagic sells for $240?

My aim, 200-400 lb coastal sharks.
JETTYWOLF

Re: Saving Money...That's my middle name!

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm targeting as large a shark I can possibly find........Last winter and spring we had great Whites right off the beach! :rotfl: :rotfl:

For $28 I'll take a harness set up. That's what the post was about. Get while the getting is good.

WE have huge current, I'm anchored when chunking stingers for big ones.

Here's a guy north of me doing it already.

This is real current..

[BBvideo 560,340]http://youtu.be/OED_EXQUWQ4[/BBvideo]
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

They can't hold a Shimano TLD 50 full of 60# mono, let alone pump. These aren't killers like me or you. They're desk jockey's. I must lift 1000 pounds a day on a slow bite, every time i hike that damn anchor in. Keeps my back in shape.

Cush thingys are like skirts on a man....use a tennis ball at least.

I already have what that Cushy company is trying to re-invent out of old CROCS........I have Play-Action round gimbal covers. Mine are black rubber. Not Croc yellow or pink. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Plus, when I kick that 10 footers azz, I WANT A HARNESS!

Remember, Florida is a "stand your ground State" I rarely if ever chase anything.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Have a "Smitty's Spyder Harness" (alum plate) it is unbelievable the force you can put on a big fish :thumbsup: 188# green BFT to the boat in less than 15 min. I fished one of theose posts once for shark in a boat Capt. Dave. Pc of chit IMHO!!! Much rather have a heavy duty rod holder in the bow box......drop a golf ball to the bottom of it and attach a safety line to the reel now you have a make shift swivel rod holder....get a big one on and drop the anchor ball and hold on :clap:

Had one of the less expensive harnesses....the plastic plate was pretty good the down fall of the system was the buckles/hardware.....they were plastic too. I changed it all out to metal and use it as a backup ......and yes I took some pretty big fish with it but always with a safety line attached to keep the angler in the boat :beer:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'm not doing all this 12 months a year. Have no $$ to make boat modifications. July thru Oct. is when I like to pursue the big sharks, because they are chewin'. I'm actually thinking "next summer", because I need to find the larger 250+ sharks for myself first. Haven't tried a certain spot yet with a 1/2 a Bonita or anything. Lemons, Hammerheads, Dusky's, Bulls etc. would be the ones. Never heard of many Mako's on our coast.

And it's bait-n-wait for everything else around here. Because remember.......Summer sucks in NE Florida when everyone is on Vacation, add to that they want the world of monsters in the mix too. So I give them, <Mr. Shark>. Instantaneous gratification. sort of keeps me in business, sort of.

If all else ain't right. As in Googans everywhere, I have to drift.

LIKE HERE, in the morning:

http://youtu.be/uWSxZ_DTTAI

But anchoring is a huge part of life in big current. Of course I'd follow if I had too. Followed way too many Tarpon and lost the game. Because then we're playing on their rules. Stand Ground and it's black or white. In the world of big fish I always say there's no "I almost caught it".

Plus, the harness if it's so cheap and junky, at least I got to play for awhile. Of course I'd like a Smitty or a Black Magic from down under.

In the video I posted, ole Capt Rude...(just a enthusiest) stands his ground in that current. I have too.

If the haness' for $28.00 "closeout" are so junky I'll sell them on ebay and get my $$ back.

I got them for me too. Because I hate holding a TLD 50 for that long. My rod holders are JUNK. And the golf ball trick only works with bent butts right Alloy...Don't see how a swivel would help on a straight butt rod.

I'd just as soon have something like the Todd Battle station (or similar) so woman, maybe teen-agers, and desk jockey's coould just stand and pump a fish in and when not in use......put it in the garage.

It could be a """cheater""" for many people who don't have the salt.

Lowest price is around $700......if I had $700 (I might be able to put a dent in my mortage, instead.)
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

there was one of these fighting posts at Wickford Marine Consignment cheap a month ago http://www.marineconsignment.com/

Bent butts yep :thumbsup:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

YOU EVER SEE ONE "COMPLETE".......CHEAP.

YOU LET ME KNOW. I'LL DETERMINE IF IT'S CHEAP ENOUGH.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Got the $28 fighting belt harness......wow. Not bad. Not super like a BlackMagic from New Zealand at $350......but damn one of my best finds for sure!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Might have to get those too . . . planning to do some albacore jackpole fishing this summer. That type would allow better use of legs (less back strain)

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

love it.....I'd do that Chaps!

not much different than hiking the anchor 20 times a day.

Peezer, REALLY? You gots the cheap-mega clearance-Dave's super find, harness' too huh?

Mine was free....cuz I took the 2nd one and sold it on ebay for $75.00

Every once in awhile, this poor azz horse trader comes out ahead

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic