Cockpit space and offshore brackets

General boating discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Re: Cockpit space and offshore brackets

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I really like that boat.....and I'm a CC kinda guy. But that SeaArk is unique that baby will turn heads for another 20 years.

I've always like the big "arks".

MORE PLEASE :thumbsup:
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15
Your location: Victoria, BC

Post by Gypseas »

That is one sharp looking boat!

Very impressed with how it turned out :thumbsup:

cheers
Sjoman
Your location: Woodinville, WA

Post by Sjoman »

Finally back at my house and all systems go. Sea-trial this weekend.
Attachments
DSC_0353_1.JPG
DSC_0353_1.JPG (286.05 KiB) Viewed 10051 times
DSC_0357_1_1.JPG
DSC_0357_1_1.JPG (224.22 KiB) Viewed 10051 times
DSC_0360_1.JPG
DSC_0360_1.JPG (299.12 KiB) Viewed 10051 times
DSC_0363_1.JPG
DSC_0363_1.JPG (256.96 KiB) Viewed 10051 times
76' Freezer long liner "Alpine Cove"
21' SeaArk Commander
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

In time to still get some fishing in.

Nice thread and a great result. Did you throu bolt that kicker? :deadhorse:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

Thanks Goatram, yes we through bolted the kicker. Should have the remote controlls from Ballard marine tomorrow and will go for some Coho action after the weekend rush on Monday.
21' SeaArk Commander
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Where the gunnels meet the sides, the black round stripe thingy is it part of the boat or is it a "d" bumper bolted to the hull?

cheers
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Damn that boat is seriously Unique. Very Nice, turned out super :!:
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

Gypseas wrote:Where the gunnels meet the sides, the black round stripe thingy is it part of the boat or is it a "d" bumper bolted to the hull?

cheers
Yes the thingy is a D bumper bolted to the hull. This was a big selling feature for me since I'm such a klutz at docking :)
21' SeaArk Commander
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15

Post by Gypseas »

Sorry, don't mean to spoil the party but i am in the process of removing mine due to a start of crevice corrosion around where the bolts hold the bumper tight to the hull. Some spots are better and some worse even though the boat, which I moor, was always splashed with fresh water after each outing.
I really like the rub rail you just had installed, probably going to have something like that done myself.
cheers
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

So it has been over a year since I posted anything on AAB. The rebuild of my SeaArk was nothing but positive and we enjoyed a great fishing season on the Puget Sound. However, there were some issues with the slop-well that I had to deal with and after long deliberation we decided to put on an off-shore bracket (I know I should have listened to several AAB members). Anyway the conversion has started and should be done in a few weeks. We are adding about 9 qft, so close to 600 lbs. of lift and hopefully no more wet feet while trolling or fighting fish in following seas.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 9634 times
21' SeaArk Commander
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Looking forward to more pictures. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram

Post by goatram »

I Love mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply the best to see Pictures with explanations :beer: I see the Meat axe in the well under the Piece of metal with the hand attached to it still. :shocked:

Tomorrow I will update my thread. It is updated on BD just need to transfer Pictures to the computer from BD then upload to here. I so need tapatalk back. :deadhorse:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Dang, do-overs happen! You are into it now but did you consider trying ball scuppers to control water ingress? Or were you having other issues related to the slop well?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

goatram wrote:I Love mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply the best to see Pictures with explanations :beer: I see the Meat axe in the well under the Piece of metal with the hand attached to it still. :shocked:

Tomorrow I will update my thread. It is updated on BD just need to transfer Pictures to the computer from BD then upload to here. I so need tapatalk back. :deadhorse:
The cut out on each side of the slop-well are the new scuppers. A u channel will be welded to the backside of the off-shore bracket deck and tie in to the transom serving dual purpose as scupper/extra brazing.
21' SeaArk Commander
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

Chaps wrote:Dang, do-overs happen! You are into it now but did you consider trying ball scuppers to control water ingress? Or were you having other issues related to the slop well?
It’s sort of a long and kind of embarrassing story. Short version is that we made some design errors causing the boat to take on water in following seas. The remedies would have been extensive and not really that good of a solution. I really like this boat and decided that the current plan will totally eliminate previous problems.
21' SeaArk Commander
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

I am moving the motor back 30" and raising it 4". I have read on previous posts that you can/should raise it 1 1/2 " for every foot you move it back... Opinions
21' SeaArk Commander
goatram

Post by goatram »

I heard it was 1" for every foot. 2.5". You could get a Manual Jack Plate and play for a day on the Lake to dial it in. Cost $265? at three rivers marine in woodinville. That is where I got mine at. then you would be three inches up cause you would be 36" aft :smitty:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Sjoman wrote:I am moving the motor back 30" and raising it 4". I have read on previous posts that you can/should raise it 1 1/2 " for every foot you move it back... Opinions
I'm not so sure that applies to engines mounted on full flotation brackets like the one you are building as opposed to the set-back (non floater) style of bracket.

. . . . . . . .

I'm curious to know if the boat had water ingress problems prior to the original mod? Your learning experience (however embarrassing) could be valuable for the group, might help someone avoid a similar expensive (or dangerous) mistake.
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

Chaps wrote:
Sjoman wrote:I am moving the motor back 30" and raising it 4". I have read on previous posts that you can/should raise it 1 1/2 " for every foot you move it back... Opinions
I'm not so sure that applies to engines mounted on full flotation brackets like the one you are building as opposed to the set-back (non floater) style of bracket.

. . . . . . . .

I'm curious to know if the boat had water ingress problems prior to the original mod? Your learning experience (however embarrassing) could be valuable for the group, might help someone avoid a similar expensive (or dangerous) mistake.
The flotation sits up from the bottom of the hull about 3" and have a gradual aft taper, as seen in the pic. I agree that if we would have followed the hull line the 1 1/2" per foot formula would not apply. But know I'm not so sure therefore my original question.

Regarding the water ingress issue; The acces hole for the cables, hoses and wiring was to low and to far aft. In following seas water would enter the hull. The bilge pump would handle this but I was not happy with the outcome when the pump one day shorted out.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (180.45 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
21' SeaArk Commander
Napa Mike
Your location: Bainbridge Island WA

Post by Napa Mike »

I think you will be a lot happier with a bracket. Thanks for sharing your pics. We look forward to more, and hope this mod dials you in just right!

Mike
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Yeah, a rigging grommet in a spashwell can be a real problem with respect to water intrusion. Use of a rigging tube is the way to go with either a splashwell or a bracket

MacCTD's boat

Your bracket - I thought it was a true hull extension. Yeah, you'll likely be OK raising the motor a bit, I'd try and place the aft mount plate such that the engine has some adjustment range up and down from your best guess location on the mounting bolt holes.

Its not an exact science (motor height) as I've found on my rig with the porta-bracket. I can hydraulically raise or lower my engine over a 17" vertical range with the bracket while underway and the ideal running position changes depending on how the boat is loaded, sea state, what I'm wanting to do, etc. For instance, If I'm interested in maximizing fuel economy, am lightly loaded and I'm going to make a long run to a destination I'll start with the engine at a normal depth, get the boat up on plane, throttle back to desired speed, set the pilot then start raising the engine until I detect the prop starting to break loose (rpm starts creeping up), then I drop it back down about an inch. In that state the motor is very high with the prop barely submerged and the skeg on the lower unit is almost even with the keel. That's a great setting for reducing drag and gas usage but if I make any kind of an abrupt turn the prop blows out so for normal use the bracket needs to be set lower. On the other hand if I'm out in real snotty conditions and find I'm loosing grip occasionally I'll keep dropping the engine until the prop is consistently running in solid water and staying hooked up. The point of all this being that an ideal engine height can vary depending on the boat, deadrise, prop type, how you normally load it, what conditions you typically operate in, etc.
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

Thanks Chaps, highly appreciate your input. I will set the motor 3" above previous height with the option to raise it some more. I always thought it was low in the original slop-well, as per picture. While I'm at it the fuel tank will be moved 18" forward to help the weight distribution.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (210.28 KiB) Viewed 9678 times
21' SeaArk Commander
Sjoman

Post by Sjoman »

4 weeks after the project started we (Kyle) is making good progress. Just some final welding on the bracket and in the cockpit, slap on some paint and we are done. I am trying to talk him in to a fish-box in the floor since we are moving the fuel tank forward 24" and will have plenty of room. A rail of some sort is also on the list, so I don't go overboard fighting that trophy size Chinook next year (necessary being 6'7")
After this seasons close call I am also adding a second 750g/h bilge pumps, and no more float switches.
Attachments
30" 7' offshore bracket
30" 7' offshore bracket
DSC00038_2.JPG (185.68 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
Roughly 9qft of buoyancy that should add 600+ lbs of lift
Roughly 9qft of buoyancy that should add 600+ lbs of lift
DSC00034_1.JPG (201.79 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
DSC00039_1.JPG
DSC00039_1.JPG (167.26 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
One of two cockpit drains
One of two cockpit drains
DSC00041_1.JPG (148.66 KiB) Viewed 9643 times