How much horsepower?

General boating discussion
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Re: How much horsepower?

Post by welderbob »

No. The throttle and shift is done manually by a push / pull cable. You could go with the 250 hp Honda's and if the fly by wire was still not available ,convert it later. My Honda rep told me that it was going to be considerably less that Mer or Yamaha.
Welderbob
Last edited by welderbob on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingFischer
Your location: Bozeman, Montana

Post by KingFischer »

I have had boats without enough horses. We all find ourselves at times wishing we had more power. If a boat will take 500 hp put it on you will never regret the decision. More hp lower rpm's better fuel economy.
I have twin Yamaha 250's on a Hewes PE.

Les
Chtucker
Your location: Redmond, wa

Post by Chtucker »

welderbob wrote:My Honda OEM Rep is telling me fly by wire will be out the first of the year. Maybe someone on the west coast can confirm it. I didn't get any pricing yet.
Welderbob

That would be perfect, timing... Goatram heard April though from Glendinning (the manufacturer for Honda)
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

welderbob wrote:No. The throttle and shift is done manually by a push / pull cable. You could go with the 250 hp Honda's and if the fly by wire was still not available ,convert it later. My Honda rep told me that it was going to be considerably less that Mer or Yamaha.
Welderbob

The total cost for the current Glendinning system that is being retrofitted to an under the engine cowl system is less than $4k.

That is another option as well. The control boxes get mounted in the transom and run fly by wire. Cables leave leave the boxes and connect to the motors. It will be effectively the same thing as the under cowl system.

Another option that I should consider.

Howard
BCTony
Your location: British Columbia

Post by BCTony »

goatram wrote:Should be Miles Per Gallon per engine. So 1.6 miles per gallon for the boat.

Sorry for the Confusion. :banghead:

My Gallons per hour is around 10 to 11 per motor

Yamahas were about to be binned and Honda 250 sales go through the roof!
Mind you 1.6 miles per gallon for 32mph on a big heavy loaded boat is still pretty good.
Napa Mike
Your location: Bainbridge Island WA

Post by Napa Mike »

So Howard:

Did you pull the trigger? what did you end up with?

Mike
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Stuck with 225 Hondas. Proven engine, 87 octane, 5 year warranty, and $11,500 cheaper than the Yamaha 200s and at least $15,000 cheaper than the 250 Yamahas.

What is killing the dollars and cents is they would consider it a change order, credit it in wholesale dollars and sell at retail. I am a bit frustrated as the wording is the exactly the same on both specifications/build sheets, but their intent was to use electronic controls on the catamaran and now with the monohull they believe they are not included. I would be happy with the Glendinning aftermarket controls.

After delivery I will either install the forthcoming under cowling honda branded system or the current Glendinning system. It is $4k in parts right now, I would hope that Honda system will be priced the same.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

I had aftermarket controls on my Maxweld cat w/Honda 225's back in 2005, worked good. Only negative was the big servo boxes took up a bunch of room in my aft lockers.
SeattleTrip 86 (web).jpg
SeattleTrip 86 (web).jpg (76.59 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Chaps wrote:I had aftermarket controls on my Maxweld cat w/Honda 225's back in 2005, worked good. Only negative is the big servo boxes took up a bunch of room in my aft lockers.
SeattleTrip 86 (web).jpg

Glendinning is supposed to be manufacturing a servo system that mounts under the Honda engine cowling. Vaporware for the last two years, but Goatram asked Glendinning at the Pacific Marine Expo and they replied, by April.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

It cost me a bunch.... But I went with the 250s. I wanted a proven motor, 87 octane capable and fly by wire. Fly by wire being the biggest desire. While Mercury and Suzuki where options, the lack of dealer support was the deciding factor. The choice was Honda or Yamaha.

Probably more than is required.... but I won't have any what if questions. 200s pushed the boat to 43mph.
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Chtucker wrote:It cost me a bunch.... But I went with the 250s. I wanted a proven motor, 87 octane capable and fly by wire. Fly by wire being the biggest desire. While Mercury and Suzuki where options, the lack of dealer support was the deciding factor. The choice was Honda or Yamaha.

Probably more than is required.... but I won't have any what if questions. 200s pushed the boat to 43mph.
I have lost track have you purchased 250 Yamaha's or Honda's?

When I opted for twin Yamaha F200's on my 24' North River Seahawk Offshore a number of people expressed the concern of this being unnecessary and/or too much power. Well after a few months ownership I do not think so - yes, there is plenty of power with stacks of low end grunt but depending on load the boat tops out at 46-52mph which is not OTT. The real benefit is economy at more realistic cruising speeds. At 25mph I am running at 3200rpm and burning 9.5gph combined or 2.72mpg. At 4300rpm I am at 35mph with 18gph combined or 1.94mpg. It's better to have bit more in hand than you think you might need; you do not have to put 'peddle to the metal'. While I have yet to test, I pretty certain that I could get up on plane one one engine if needs be or at least push along at a good lick.

I wasn't bothered by fly by wire and went for the cheaper analogue option.
Last edited by BCTony on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Yamaha 250s.. I would have been fine with the cable controls if it was a single station. With two stations, I really wanted the fly by wire.

Do you have the I4 200s?

I don't expect to see much more top end, the boat did 43mph with 200 I4s.. I might see a couple mph. What I am hoping for is a comfortable efficient cruiser at 30mph.
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Chtucker wrote:Yamaha 250s.. I would have been fine with the cable controls if it was a single station. With two stations, I really wanted the fly by wire.

Do you have the I4 200s?

I don't expect to see much more top end, the boat did 43mph with 200 I4s.. I might see a couple mph. What I am hoping for is a comfortable efficient cruiser at 30mph.
Yes - the new model Yamaha Inline-4 F200's.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic