Actors strike looming?

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Actors strike looming?

Post by S L Dave »

I have a pit in my stomach the size of a beachball at the thought of another industry shutdown. The Director's Guild had a deal inside of a week....why can't these guys get it together? The stagehands and technical employees contract is also up for renewal this Summer. If anyone esle here is in the entertainment industry, send me a PM. I have some real venting to do that wouldn't be appropriate for a public board!

Wed May 7, 12:37 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Major studios and the Screen Actors Guild broke off three weeks of contract talks without agreement on Tuesday, stoking fears of renewed Hollywood labor unrest after a 100-day writers strike that ended in February.
The current three-year SAG contract covering 120,000 film and TV actors expires on June 30, but the union and studios have been under pressure to reach an early deal to dispel labor jitters that hang over the world's show business capital.

The 14-week screenwriters strike, Hollywood's worst labor clash in 20 years, shut down much of the TV industry, derailed several film productions and idled thousands of Hollywood workers, costing the local economy an estimated $3 billion.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You don't have to be in "that" entertainment business to be almost done.

I have zero buisiness. And after 12 long hard years with what I figure at least $125,000 invested probably a 1/2 million over the course of 12 years, have to just plain quit what I'm doing.

No unemployment in my biz, no union protection, no 401K, no insurance, just pay,pay, pay....and loose in the end.

Now another $140 dollar fee (doesn't seem like much but when it happens 10 times a year...it gets old) is inacted by the US government....

More Background screening because I'm a possible terrorist and so are my customers, or the high jackers of my boat?? The only highjackers are the US Government. Anyone with a Captains License will and must have this, because even a fishing guides a threat to the US ports waterways and security of the nation...according to congressman.

To all charter captains, ya may want to get real familiar with these pages!
http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm

The US is a threat to me! The U.S. government is the ones who create havoc in the world and through their actions (you may not agree, I do not care, and don't try to have me think your way)

So I'm having to give up. I have too, if I still want to own a boat/house/truck.

So as they say misery loves company...I'm there with ya.

Because I don't have just a 100 day season in Alaska, but rather 365 day season, and no one's coming, or spending any $$ here.
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Thanks again Mark for the kind PM.
Dave, you will find the right ballance for your life as a fisherman and all will be better soon.

The thing that really killed me about the writers strike was not that many of their demands were unreasonable...that is OK...you try to get whatever you can get for yourself in life.
THE PROBLEM is that while they are shutting down a large portion of the active production and post production in town, they can still do their work everyday...knowing that the market will still exist for their product when the strike is over. They also have the benefit of residual payments to help them get through the lean times. These factors gave the writers the ability to hold out for a very long time. Stagehands, artists, costumers, actors,, sound men, lighting, camera, mixers, editors, tape ops, etc etc etc ALL out of work because of the writers!!! And with no ability to sell their product for a windfall of cash after the strike. No work, no pay. Total loss for everyone put out of work by the writers strike except for the writers.
So as the writers strike went on...these people(mostly well dressed in their 30's) were picketing outside the studios with their non-fat mochiato lattes in hand. But they were not picketing the executive offices or exec entrances - too scared to piss off the people who may be interested in their next script...they were at the workingman's entrance and were BLOCKING TRAFFIC!!!!!! Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds of anyone (ME!) who was able to find some work for the day. F$#% THEM!!!!!!!
So as they were blocking my truck one day, I roll down the window and try to explain what an insult it is that they are doing this to me and not to the executives and how their strike is affecting families of so many people(this has become very personal)...they don't care...things get hot...screaming starts...the crowd starts gathering...names are being called (you know, the "really bad names")...more screaming...I grab the bat in the back seat and fling open my door. I look to my left and see a TV camera pointed right in my face. Fortunately, the bat had not emerged. I got back in my truck and quietly drove into the parking lot.

I looked for weeks on the news, YouTube, etc for the event on video, but it looks like it never made it to the media.

At least the actors have to show up for work to get paid. Except for residuals, they are just like the rest of us. Here is fair warning to the actors: If you stike, do not block my truck!!!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

I am a American all the way...

One day, a long time ago, the unions were important to improve the working conditions and control businessmen's greed.

Today, however, it is not the Government, that is killing us,

It is the UNIONS, the Left wing Liberals and many but not all Democrates that go that way.

Why do you think America has LOST so many jobs...The UNIONS!

I spent two years fighting the UNION trying to break my good company. I spent $300K over the two years, I won every single suit and NLB suit they threw at us. My men stood proud behind the defence of the company against the union trying to force its way in using beginner scabs or RATS, like they were displaying outside my office and client's work sites.

My men knew that the UNION was nothing but the Uppitiy, Ups of the UNION trying to get and keep enough DUES coming in from men that would join but not stay in the union so they would get to keep all the money they had collected from them. Here is where the GREED has come 180-degrees.

The UNIONS are not about the members its about the upper 5% of the senior members who need their $$$ coming in to keep them from having to really work and keep their $$$ in their retirement funds.

We just heard that half the apprentises in the hall have left because the UNION is going to eleminate the JOURNEYMAN positions because the JOURNEYMAN wage is so high ($31.00 + 355 BNIFITS FOR A TOTAL COST PER REGULAR HOUR WORKED COST $51.54) that they can't keep them working on any consistant volume. That means that the most a SR.TECH can make is $26.00 per hour+$11.00 IN BENIFITS is as much as they can ever make. What is that to look forward to in todays market.

Now, today, the UNION said that the medical benifits are going to be DROPPED, but you CAN BUY your Medical and dential through the union. WOW!

Why does America send all its jobs to India, China, Mexico???

Becuase there are NO UNIONS...

the UNIONS are flat out BREAKING THE BACK of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...not the GOVERNMENT...

Its the NATIONAL LABOR BOARD and UNIONS are making the jobs go away. How is a company to compete when their hourly cost is only 20% less than the going hourly SELL PRICE of the non union shops. In other words, you can't have any ovehead if your a union shop, the uinion EATS you out of BUSINESS!

I as a NON-UNION shop pay my JOURNEYMAN $30-38.00 per hour pay, I give 100% family medical and dental plan, a 401K with $025 on the dollar company match, a $50K Life Insurance Plan, 2-3 weeks paid vacation, one week of personal/sick days paid annually, company vehicle with all the fuel paid to go to and from home, great training, lots of OT, $200.00 per week for being ON-CALL even if they never go out and OT to and from each Emergency call and best of all they have a winning attitude and fun atimosphere to work in.

Who the F&^K needs some P.O.S. to say "WELL PROTECT YOU", these monkeys, are not protecting them, in fact they couldcare less about their members except for their dues! PROTECT THIS! A.O.

The UNION mentality is...they don't care about the company they work for...because they work for the UNION, not the company...THey could care less about if the job gets done on time or profitable they will just go the next company till it breaks. If there is two hours left in the day, they say"Why start andything new today, lets do it tomorrow".

My men are driven by me, they lead with a positive attitude, with a fereindly attitude with SUPER PRIDE that they work for me and OUR COMPANY... We are a team, one that is driven to have nice things for working hard and producing a great product and service. NOT ONE MEMBER OF THE UNION FEELS THAT way.

THe next problem is that the NLB gives a company fighting to stay union free, ZERO rights, and gives the UNIONS free rain to do what ever they like to force their way in. THey were following my men to the Park & Ride and waiting for them to get back and start trying to convince them to CARD UP. then when they stopped parking their they followed them home and then waitied at their homes to hassel them, F*^KING BULLSH*T!!!

When i finally said to the UNION DELIGATE, "Come on then, GOve take a VOTE, lets see what the MEN want!" He freaked, "NO!, NO, you just need to sign this agreement" they knew they couldn't and won't win, they are the most UN-AMERICAN bunch of pansies I ever have dealt with. Another company they forced to join who was 1/3 larger than me, has now been in 8-months and is going under, the UNION has broken them, all the promises the DELIGATE promosed I guess just didn't happen.

American business men today, know that they need to give their employees as much as possible to keeep them and keep them happy and productive. What incentive do you have in the UNION? ZERO, your just a paycheck to the UNION BOSSES! THey just laugh at their executive meetings, listening bugs are amazing things ya know!

Sorry to RANT,

But I am a PROUD AMERICAN SMALL BUSINESS MAN and love my COUNTRY, my COMPANY and my EMPLOYEES (and their families) that work with me!

Marty
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Marty, sorry but I took the F-word out of your post .

Remember this is a family site. :wink:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

and there's NO WAY George W. would ever use the F-bomb...not in front of the Misses thats few sure.
She acts as if she's never even seen a wanker, either.
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Sorry! I just got carried away. Just thinking of spending $300k+ of hard earned cash to defend your company against what should be illeagal. Mty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I'm with ya Marty , it makes me MAD also . Some IDIOT trying to tell you what HE thinks you need to do . NOT NOT NOT............

Now, how long before the Skunk mount is done ?

And when is your next Bear hunt lined up ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Lost but not forgotten!

S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Clearly, unions were not created because of companies like Marty's. I am actually suprised that a union would be dumb enough to even try and organize a shop with the kind of perks that you offer...I am sure that your guys are glad that things have remained non-union.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

When I got out of Tech school I went to work for UT whom was actively involved in the military aircraft industry. I now know why fighter jets cost 14-16 million dollars :D Funny how if Sunday work was required your whole cell had to report. Even if only one individual had work to do. The rest would read the news paper and slug coffee...........neadless to say I lasted 8 months and couldn't take it any longer :!:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

The funny thing is S.L. Dave....(you know who you are), went thru this before and now looks like it could go on again per the post.

But how many of us know what S.L. Dave does, because if Welder didn't tell me, I'd be clueless of why S.L. Dave comments on the film/TV industry.

S.L. Dave?????

Remember, I can only spend 12 -14 hrs here per day till all my little $$ runs out, so I may miss a few things, from time to time. And don't even have a union putting me outa work :twisted:
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

he's dave letterman?
NUKE
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Heh heh heh. I like that one Nuke. The top ten answers for...... who is S L Dave?

How is the weather and fishing going for you? How are you and family doing?

All I care is Dave is a fellow Alloyist and Pacificskiff/blacklab owner. That is good enough for me. Plus he has come up with a killer idea for the Meet and Greet.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Funny!!!
I was going to answer, but the guessing makes me much more interesting than I really am!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

You're not David Spade are you? :D
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

My vote is Super Dave Osborn :D

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

There are unions in Mexico, just like in the states.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Yep found out his secret identity.................

Mark
Last edited by mojomizer on Wed May 14, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Now...THAT is funny!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hints:
I am not David Spade, but I see him almost everyday.
I am not Super Dave, but I do know his brother.
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Post by Jay Perrotta »

mojomizer wrote:Yep found out his secret identity.................

Mark
Yup...coffee out the nose at 5:30 in the morning...
Jay Perrotta
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic