Edwing Catamaran

General boating discussion
longranger

Edwing Catamaran

Post by longranger »

Saw a listing for an Edwing Cat today on the Alaska craigslist http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/671445362.html. Very interesting. Interesting enough that I talked to Ed today and will get more info for sure. Hull is usual 5086 with 5052 cabin. The hull is designed with an adjustable hydrofoil----I saw it first Marty!!!!! :lol: . Hull has hit the water but only for about 25 hours. Never put into serious service. Will email Ed when I get home this evening to get more details. Will let all know what i find out. Hopefully enough good stuff to plan a little trip. Question part of this post is about peoples experience with the Edwing product? I have never heard anything but strong positives but is always worth asking, particularly on this forum. PM me if you feel the need to be discrete. Also a question for Marty, bullshipper etc, have hydrofoils on alloy boats had any failures from hitting logs etc., according to what you have read and heard?

Thanks

Mike B
longranger

Post by longranger »

Link is not working. Just go to craigslist alaska boats and its there for today.

MB
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

Go over to ifish.net and use the search function. You will get plenty of first hand info about Ed and his boats. There are 4-5 guys on the board who own them. I have spoken to each one of them about their boats and they will gladly answer your questions. Everyone loves the boat itself but the finish and wiring seems to get a lot of criticism. Ed is a commercial builder and it is reflected in his boats.

Bob
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

Ed is a little eccentric, but he builds a good no frills boat from what I understand.

I would be leary of any small cat or mono with a foil.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Ed builds a helluva a boat for the money. My 21 mono is still working hard after 10 years. Eccentric? No worse than the other builders I've met which isn't saying much . . . :lol:

Don't expect much in the way of fancy interiors, high end electrical systems, glossy topsides, etc. but it will be built stout. These are workboats, pure & simple.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
longranger

Post by longranger »

Well so far only received a rough schematic of the boat plans. Not much help. Will report anything else later.

MB
larch
Your location: SE, AK

Ed Wing contact / website?

Post by larch »

looks like he builds a nice boat from the pictures i've seen. does he have a website or an email contact?
longranger

Post by longranger »

Yes. His email is edwing@wwestsky.net.

MB
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

is this it...an Edwing cat?
Looks kinda mean.
longranger

Post by longranger »

Good observation Dave. Looks kinda haunted. I suspect that anything entering the tunnel never comes out again :lol: Scary part is that there is a hydrofoil in there somewhere :twisted: . But what the #%#$^ if it is built well, rides great, gets good fuel economy and I can almost afford it looking wierd is acceptable.

Often see the saying that life is too short for an ugly boat. Personally I will take an ugly one that catches fish over a sexy boat that sucks gas at an alarming rate or pounds untill I pee red. So give me a competitively priced ugly alloy Cat that catches fish(even for me) and you will have one happy camper. Would make for some great names too.

Still waiting for pics or any other meaningfull info so for now it is hurry up and wait.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Now I am a little curious and can't find a Edwing website anywhere. :?:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

I believe that Ed is more interested in doing real estate work than building a lot more boats, or at least that is what he told me 2 years ago. Nice guy.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

LongRanger,

Hydofoil?

Can ya explain, cuz I have no idea what that would be.....especially inside that mean looking tunnel of no return.

You mean it jumps up on those arms with water wings at a certain speed?
And they Pop out from inside that tunnel?

Holy "kitty cats" Batman :!: If so, I gotta see that :idea:

And if that boat isn't mean enough to boot. Notice I'm veering far away from the word ugly??? Hahahahahah......(if its alloy, its O'tay wit me)
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

LONGRANGER,

I think Dave's picture is on the money, Look how high the hull is out of the water!

I think that cat looks kinda nice in a sick way! Needs a floding tower and a folding center console on top to drive from.

Yesterday when I was coming back in to the dock after a short sea trial ride, one of the guys walked over to my boat and said " I see you got the KILLING MACHINE back in the water, got your eyes set on some tuna?" I replied, any day now, any day!". He then said " Man, that boat just looks MEAN!, what a wild looking boat, really cool!"

Well that made my day, I had a smile from ear toear!

TUNA, TUNA, TUNA, TUNA!!!!!
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic