Electro Guard Cathodic Protection

General boating discussion
BCTony
Your location: British Columbia

Electro Guard Cathodic Protection

Post by BCTony »

Has anyone experience with Electro Guard cathodic protection systems? I am considering the Model 620A FM system which is am impressed current system and would particularly value comment from someone who has such a system installed.
salmonater
Your location: Tacoma,wa

Re: Electro Guard Cathodic Protection

Post by salmonater »

I had it in my last boat and it worked really well. I'm having a new boat built now and plan on putting another unit on it. Boats are aluminum. I would suggest just getting the straight 620 unit, it's alot less money and works the same. The 620FM is usually only installed on racing sailboats that want no added drag in the water.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Thanks - I have got that. If it works as well as indicated and seeing that it supposedly radically reduces the consumption of zincs on the outboard (Electro Guard recommend that zincs on outboards are maintained) the system could fairly quickly pay for itself particularly in multiple engine set-ups let alone the security of having an 'active' system able to adjust automatically and deal with the varying conditions of differing marinas. If the display monitor shows 'green' you're OK if it shows 'red' investigate.
Chtucker
Your location: Redmond, wa

Post by Chtucker »

I questioned why Armstrong went with the 30" shafts on my motors. I now know why. They are completely out of the water when raised up, even when left turned.

Does the active system require a through hull? The one system that I had seen did.
BCTony

Post by BCTony »

Chtucker wrote:I questioned why Armstrong went with the 30" shafts on my motors. I now know why. They are completely out of the water when raised up, even when left turned.

Does the active system require a through hull? The one system that I had seen did.
Stainless steel propellors represent a massive contribution to 'dissimilar' metals! So best kept out of the water completely.

Yes - a 1/2" thru-hull is required on most Electro Guard installations. For the Model 620 two thru-hulls are required, one each for the permanent anode and for the reference cell.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic