Sculpin Project #2

Mods and custom builds
Sculpin

Sculpin Project #2

Post by Sculpin »

Well here I go like everything else I do leaving one project unfinished and jump onto another. I decided after the acid solution wash I wanted to have some type of protection on the aluminum as the acid wash takes everything off. I bought some all in one metal polish wax from the local chandlery and started applying it to the inside of the hull, under the seat area, and plan to do the entire inside of the cabin. As my children would say OMG........... it is a lot of work. I really wanted to get the water marks off the inside surfaces of the cabin as my main goal with this boat is to eliminate water in the cabin as much as possible and not have to deal with water marks, salt, etc. Here are a few photo's so far.

This one shows the inside cabin wall. I used a scotch brite pad while applying the wax as it was the only thing that took the salt water marks off. I don't want a bright polished look so tiny scratches from the scotch brite pad doesn't bother me.

this one shows the front inside hull and a section under the bow door.

These ones show the two seat benches. One done and the other untouched. I plan on taking out the older air ride seat and touching up the black paint on it. These seats are made for big rig trucks so they don't have marine paint on them.

These ones show the inside of the cabin door. I'm replacing the door latch with a new all stainless one from Faucher Industries.
I left a spot on the bottom right of the door undone for contrast

Now I know if I put that sticky back sound deadening material under the floor area's I'll probably have to wipe the wax off with something but I'll deal with that when the time comes.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

What is that a bottle of Colenites??

Yeah that sopunds like too much work to me too and I'm over 25 :roll: :roll:

If you want to do the real deal, I would reccomend some Sharkhide or Nyalic and do the whole dang boat in one shot. Inside and out. Clean then coat.

Use their cleaner products first, then apply the protective coating. You can spray Nyalic I think, and just fog it all, after taping off the windows and such...

You maybe doing short term help, but the Sharkhide or Nyalic is long term.

And I thought of you as I walked thru a Boaters world today and saw Marty's foam insulation in big boxes for sale. It said QL on the boxes so I guess that means it maybe avalible thru Volvo QL parts?

I saw how it has sticky on one side and foil on the other. And it's chipped foam mashed together somehow, is what it looked like. If thats ever an option for you. I don't think you'll need it though.
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

WHAT SOLUTION???

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

The Rock,

Wtat exactly did you use to clean with? What solvent is it? Did you have to use steel wool or 3M pad with it or is it strictly a acid and soft rag application? It looks like it did a good job, and I assume you then waxed the metal to give it further protection. I might like to do the uper cabin walls on my girl since I really like the new Herculiner coating I dod on the lower half. Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Thanks for the info on the sound deadening stuff Jettywolf. I've got a PM in to Ironwoodboats about the stuff but I will check out Boater's World's web site. Your right about the brand of wax. I guess the bottle gave it away. Stuff seems to be working o.k. I just want to try to clean up the cabin with out too much expense for the significant others when we're just out cruising etc. I bought this boat for fishing first comfort second.
Sculpin

Re: WHAT SOLUTION???

Post by Sculpin »

Ironwoodtuna wrote:The Rock,

Wtat exactly did you use to clean with? What solvent is it? Did you have to use steel wool or 3M pad with it or is it strictly a acid and soft rag application? It looks like it did a good job, and I assume you then waxed the metal to give it further protection. I might like to do the uper cabin walls on my girl since I really like the new Herculiner coating I dod on the lower half. Marty
It is Colenites (maybe spelled different). I will take a picture of the bottle. The only acid washing I did was under the seats and inside of hull in the cabin area. I used this all in one polish wax in those area's and I'm working my up the walls etc. with just the polish wax. I'm using 3M Scotchbrite pads and rags. The hand rub with the rags takes most of the scratches out from the 3M pad. It's not perfect but neither is the boat.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

No need to post pic of bottle....I could see it was Collenites from a few thousand miles away.

Eagle eyes. :wink: I had Lasik surgery and am good to go now. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic