aluminum boat in water all year

General boating discussion
almaddog

aluminum boat in water all year

Post by almaddog »

I've strongly considering buying an aluminum boat ( Pacific or black lab 23-26) for several months- probably used . I love the idea having a boat that's solid and low maintence. I cringe when an anchor or clam rake dings the gelcoat on our 23 seacraft ( 1978). It seems that most of you that have aluminum boats keep them on a trailer and are not bottom painted.

I will be keeping the boat in the water most of the year.The boat will be hauled out once a year or every other for bottom painting and maintence.
I have considered getting a boat lift but am trying not to go that route because of expense ( approximately 5500 to 6000) and space it will take up.

I am have fear ( paranoia ?) over corrosion and electolysis issues due to stray current from numerous other houses and boats on the canal . Has anyone tried cathodic protection?

http://www.electro-guard.com/product700Series.html

Do any of you have experience with bottom painting an aluminum boat? I searched THT and found 2 brands- epaint and Trilux 33 that compatible with aluminum hulls. Do either of these work significantly better than the other?

Anybody know a company or marina that has experience bottom painting aluminum boats on Long Island, NY ?.

Also- Can anybody compare the ride of an old 23 seacraft to a 26 or 23 Black lab/ Pacific skiff? Is the aluminum boat more stable on the drift and ancher due to the modified V ? I've never rode a Black lab/ Pacific skiff but have driven the sea craft for 20 years.

Thanks for your patience and help - Albert
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Albert, you need to contact Jay at , www.blacklabmrine.com or Jim at BOEmarine.
They are both Members of this site and jim has a 23ST for sale

look around here and you will find them.

I run a pacific 23tt

Lester
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'll take a wild guess that a 1978 SeaCraft is a deep V boat ,21 degree deadrise?????

You will drift faster in the Pacific. You need to make those kinda comparisons yourself, though to meet your needs.

Comparisons would be like asking which is better a Hummer versus a 1978 Caddy?? Weight carrying ability...which is 4600 lbs!
Even though that ole Seacraft probably rides like an old Caddy...you will feel a distinct difference. Lighter, nimble as hell for 26' and with a real stable feel, compared to a deeper V boat.

For me, I had a 1997 23' MayCraft, with only a 12 degree deadrise (I like stable at rest boats) and then I got my 26' BLM, and there's no comparison, I though my Maycraft was a stable boat....Not even close!!
I commonly have 1250 pounds of people on my 26 footer with all day provisions and a live well full, 1/2 tank of fuel and it doesn't bother me at all.

No roll from side to side, can carry so much more weight, and run any sea I go into, here in NE Florida. And the room....ah the interior room! No squeezing between the console and side to move up front, with a fish on.

It's so awesome. NO wasted space. My friends can't believe it, and how she floats when they get on her at the dock, compared to their F'glass boats of the same size.

(1978 Sea Craft is a true classic...man, I can see why you're on the fence.)

Your question about in the water all the time is a valid one. I'm a serious trailer guy so ask Jay, he knows. He sits his in a big marina, no bottom paint, during the whole Maine "season".
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Re: aluminum boat in water all year

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

almaddog wrote:I am have fear ( paranoia ?) over corrosion and electolysis issues due to stray current from numerous other houses and boats on the canal . Has anyone tried cathodic protection?

http://www.electro-guard.com/product700Series.html

Do any of you have experience with bottom painting an aluminum boat? I searched THT and found 2 brands- epaint and Trilux 33 that compatible with aluminum hulls. Do either of these work significantly better than the other?

Anybody know a company or marina that has experience bottom painting aluminum boats on Long Island, NY ?. - Albert
Welcome to AAB Albert, I have had my boat in Montauk for three years now. The bottom plates were sanded and painted with three coats of aluminum primer, then three coats of Trilux. Each year I put her in in March or April and she doesn't come out till end of Dec. The Trilux works great and the secret to keeping the bottom clean is to use the boat. The paint becomes thinner and thinner as the season rolls on. By year end, a power wash and two new coats of Trilux for the next year is it.I alwyas paint her myself because there really hasn't been any major sanding to speak of in three years.

As far as electrolisis, I have five large zincs on her, four on the bottom plates and one on the transom with the two Volvo zincs on the outdrive, I keep her plugged into shore power all year and the zincs are usually good when I take her out for another 3-months, but off they come and I have been keeping the removed old ones just in case I can figure out what to do with them. I have a 2500-Watt Inverter with a Triple 150-Amp Battery charger built in it. I was thinking of getting a unit like you described but havent yet. If you look carefully at the picture below you can see the condition after 9-months in the water.

Aluminum is the way to go, their registered trade mark and to me there the prettiest boats on the water, they take a beating best and are no hassel girls. Use'um and abuse'um...go fish'in!
Hope this helps. Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

almaddog,

Please see my topic on outboards that never get flushed. Just an FYI for you.

Mine gets flushed, and sits on a trailer......and had a $600 repair after 15 months.
Airforce
Sponsor

Post by Airforce »

Got a 1974 23' Sea Craft (she's my baby) and I have introduced a 23ST Black Lab to the family in the past year. I have to agree that it is very hard to compare the two. But, I am also a believer that there is no one boat that suits my (or anyones) every need on the water so I think you should have both.

When I first backed the Lab off the trailer i immediately noticed the weight difference. I more or less had to re-learn how to drive the Lab. Practiced ramming the dock a couple times and I was off AND THEN I didn't even have to hose her off when I came back to the dock (not exactly the same treatment my SeaCraft gets). There is an overall feeling of security when on the Black Lab - like your own little battleship. Ride is different... hard to beat the deep v and deadrise of the SeaCraft. That being said.. I am not concerned about the t-top ripping out of the deck as it did on my SeaCraft one rough day on the water.

For the winter (on The Chesapeake), my SeaCraft is out of the water sitting pretty on a trailer (she needs a bit more pampering than my Lab). Since my Black Lab begs to be pushed to the limit I am keeping it in the water for the winter to see how she does. I can't wait for it to ice up a bit so I can take her through the ice and see how she does.

My SeaCraft looks great and she is a comfortable beautiful ride, but my Lab runs circles around her and keeps on going and going and going...

Obviosly my Lab is bottom painted (done at Pacific factory - it's an option). I keep the boat in most of the year. I check the zinc whenever I take it out. Black Lab has a lifetime replacement policy on the zinc.
Beth Maier
beth@boemarine.com
www.BOEmarine.com
BlackLab V23ST
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Re-learn??? That's sort of funny....Yeah, I guess you could call it that, but for me it was just us "getting aquainted", for that ride into forever, that's all really.

Yep, the diff for me compared to my ole F'glass boat is just as you said, the security and confidence of being in my own battleship, that doesn't take water over the stern, backs up so fast and straight, bumps into the dock and so what, and no kidding....."when I come up to the dock on a busy summer Saturday, I can always get a spot to unload my people, because I MAKE ROOM!"

I think I need to sign up for that zinc replacement, REAL SOON.

-what's the routine? When ate away to 1/2 it's original weight?

It looks to be getting there. Maybe by this summer.

A real good link would be where they have the exact "replacement" for our size.

And a manufacture/ any numbers/ model etc. I've seen a place called Zincs.com ?????

or do I just request one from Jay?

So in love that after yesterday's trip, I brought here home, washed her down and gave here a complete bath, with a scrub brush and soap. Even though she's like an Elephant, and likes the grime and dirt of a months fishing with just a spray of water from the hose here and there...
She loves the brush and soap, and cleans-up as good as new. Ready for the next riders.
Airforce
Sponsor

Post by Airforce »

Jettywolf,

working on the specifics of the zinc for you. As soon as I figure it out I will let you know.
Beth Maier
beth@boemarine.com
www.BOEmarine.com
BlackLab V23ST
Airforce
Sponsor

Post by Airforce »

Here it is: When the zinc is 1/2 way gone get in touch with Jay. He'll send one out.
Beth Maier
beth@boemarine.com
www.BOEmarine.com
BlackLab V23ST
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Okay, will do. It's not long.

Remember...
1. "the water's saltier in the warmer climates."
2. "Ya better wash that boat off real good after ya use it."
3. "Those boats get way too hot in Florida."
4. "If I was you I'd have about 6 of those zincs."
5. "Stainless steel?, did you build that boat?"
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

My 21 Edwing is in the water year-round. The key thing is to not use a copper based paint on an aluminum boat.

For several years I've used tin based paints like Petit Alumacoat or Micron 33 but those are no longer available due to environmental concerns. Unlike Marty, the Trilux 33 doesn't do very well in my area, basically a barnacle magnet, particularly on slow boats or low use boats.

I've been getting good results with e-paint ZO.

I'm going to do a major bottom job on mine this spring due to years of build-up and some peeling that has finally set-in. I'll describe the process & mat'ls used with photos and post it here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic