Nomad marine kits ?

General boating discussion
fishfullthinken

Nomad marine kits ?

Post by fishfullthinken »

I was thinking of buying a kit form nomad marine kits. I was wondering if anyone on here has used them and had anything to say about the company or the product? Good bad?
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Nomad marine kits ?

Post by kmorin »

fishful', thanks for asking the question..

I'm not sure we actually have any kit boats here? We may but I can't recall the project? It will be interesting to see how this moves along.

A couple things about the Aussie/OZ/NewZealand's designs. They tolerate a boat with the cabin way, way, way (a long way) forward of what we profiles & some stern arrangements) common to their waters and not as common to our USofA waters?

Will they be selling cut files to an NC table firm in your area?
Or, will the package actually get shipped across the Pacific to you?
The alloy they consider common, 5083, is not as readily available in the Pac.NW so there's a potential supply issue if you're having the file(s) cut here?
Welding should be pretty straight forward, but- do you plan to weld yourself of have the package built for you?

I'd say your original question would be best addressed by the down under guys who may know this firm's boats and package builders? Hopefully the more knowledgeable of those members will post in reply?

I tried to follow a few kit boats from a Canadian supplier but was not able to get much feedback for their builders, and while understandable- "Let's build and go".... not bothering to post.... I was interested but didn't get much info from the few posts- and they weren't here on AAB.com Forum that I recall?

Best of luck, please post pictures here if you go ahead and build. Also of interest would be your decision process, why this firm over others? Why not the packages in the PNW? What about a given design or size or feature of one design was the 'selling point to you' and anything else you can share will be appreciated by all the Forum.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
fishfullthinken

kmorin

I wanted a catamaran, something like a Armstrong but I wanted it around 20' and a center consol. I talked to a few places around here in the pnw but thay either didn't want to build them that small or didn't build catamarans. One place said that they would build one but it would be cheaper for me to buy a kit and have them put it together for me. So I started looking at kits and ran across this company on aab.com and I liked the general design and they told me I can change things around so I liked that. Also I like the thought of everything being ready to be put together and it comes with instructions so if I can get my aluminum welder/fabricator buddy to help we just may do it are self. I'm not committed to nomad so if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

fishful,

Ahah!!! The old "I wanted a catamaran ploy!" Well :doh: that sure does change thinks a bit!!! Just out of curiosity, are there any welded aluminum cat kits offered on this entire continent that you found?

If a shop had to design, create cut files and nesting, then build for just one boat? I can see why you might have been told that was much more expensive than the same shop assembling a kit.

The effort to create a design and cut files is worth serious money so if a builder was producing that boat, and then offered the kit form as a secondary market item it would sure be a lot cheaper than commissioning a design and only building it once.

I agree that you may be able to put the kit-cat 20' together yourself, with a welder and some experimentation. I didn't take time when I was on the link to even look at the cats in their catalog, I just went to a couple of monohulls and came back to post a reply.

Sure would be interesting to learn why you'd prefer a cat in this size range? How you'd plan to use her, rig the boat, power the boat and so on?

Interesting project.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai,AK
kmorin
speedboats

Post by speedboats »

Using 5083 or 5086 is a non-issue. Often 5086 will be 'dual certified' to 5083. From what I understand 5086 is a slightly more stringent alloying 'formula', that is to say the range of percentages of the alloying metals is tighter. This was in response to issues with 5083 in the 90's. Most of us here are just a little more diligent with where our alloy comes from now (not China or Eastern European countries).

The main issue with building in the US compared with NZ was the difference in sheet sizes. The parts needed to be re-nested as our standard sheet sizes weren't available (but that was in 2005-2008, and there was a war on, or at least that was the response we got from our supplier). Also the sheet thickness didn't perfectly swap over.
10mm became 0.375" (actually 9.5mm),
5mm became 0.190 (actually 4.8mm)
4mm became 0.156 (actually 3.95mm)
3mm became 0.125 (actually 3.3mm)
2mm became 0.090 (actually 2.3mm)

It may not seem like big differences, but things like slots in parts wouldn't accept the thicker parts, and the material moved differently to what I was use to. No doubt for someone accustomed to using said material it is less of an issue, however it did take some adaptation on my part.
speedboats

Post by speedboats »

kmorin wrote:fishful', thanks for asking the question..

A couple things about the Aussie/OZ/NewZealand's designs.
Fair warning; not a good idea to term New Zealanders / Kiwis in with Aussies / Australians. It's like saying Canadians are Americans... :gunner2:
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

speedboats,

for the sake of my remarks Canadian and US are the same 'market' for boats. In fact, the biggest group of designers, builders, and fleets of these boats are in one single location on the N.A. Continent; the PNW. Yes, there is an International Border running E/W between the two main groups but when viewed from Google Earth? Well they're the 'same as', and as I remarked, the designs N and S of the Border are virtually indistinguishable regarding lines and market trends.

While I agree that the lines of one builder's shop (or their designer, if they are independent?) an be recognized from another; there are distinctive trends in these boats that are quite a contrast to Kiwi/Aussie markets.

So within the perspective of Google Earth, that is- viewing the English speakers at the other end of the Globe as a 'market' ; grouping the two countries' metal boat markets still seems valid? I don't mean any slight, but I'm sure nationalism may make a reader view my 'grouping' as ignorant? However, in my view of the comparison, the Canadian and US welded builders are working and selling into one marketplace of design ideas (sole goal and context of my remarks).

As to alloy, and cut files, that is why I asked OP what the plan was? If the package will be sent intercontinental shipping? OR, if the files would be cut locally of metal goods purchased here? That, seems to remain in question?

I agree the two alloys are very nearly the same but it has become a big controversy on other boards so I was hoping to get the OP's (and vendors') take on the relative differences? Perhaps too esoteric an inquiry?

No offense meant in grouping the Kiwi/Aussie boats; or for that matter anyone who thinks the Canuck/Yankee combination is intended to convey something outside the obvious common ground of welded aluminum boats?

In my view, it's all South from here.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
fishfullthinken

Speedboat thanks for the info.

I'm still in the early planning stage and so I'm not sure if I'm going to have it shipped or have the cut files sent to someone. From what speedboat said it sounds like it would be better if I had it shipped? But like i said I'm not committed to then and I am still looking at other company's.
speedboats

Post by speedboats »

Kmorin, I was just poking you I the ribs champ. Not offended at all, I did understand what you meant. There is however a friendly (if not sometimes vehement) rivalry between the two nations.

fishfulthinking, I would suggest; if they will allow, to get it cut in the US. As I said before, if your fabricator / guy gluing it together is from the US then they'd be accustomed to the materials available locally. Another option is to get someone to build it in Oz or NZ and ship the finished product to the US as the exchange rate is turning towards your favour, unless your fabricator is a buddy and doing it for 'mates rates'.
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Hey Guys:

J Simpson has plans for a 21 Cat. It has a cabin--but I would guess it is not a huge endeavor to remove the top. He is not too far away in BC.
A link to his site is below.

http://simpsonmarinedesign.com/boats/21-catamaran/

cheers,
Mike
Attachments
J Simpson 21 cat.jpg
fishfullthinken

Napa mike Thanks for the link I havnt seen that one yet.
Napa Mike

Post by Napa Mike »

Good luck to you. you might also try kingfisher cats of Australia. they have plans for cats of all sizes--from about 15 feet to 40.

Mike
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Hi, I have built quite a few of Nomads boats in the past, He is probably one of the best Naval architect in the country witch would put him up there with one of the best in the world.
Im not sure Adam would send you nested cut files to have the kit cut in the US as he dose like to do a full kit package and have the pre cut kit sent to your door Id imagine this to be very expensive to have it cut in Aus and shipped OS.
He does do design work all over the world so he may also know of a yard that could cut it for you in the US.

Another one to talk to would be Chris from CTMD http://www.ctmd.com.au/ he is doing the design work for the Metalshark cats.

Good luck
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

Not sure on Adam's feelings about issuing cutfiles overseas these days. As Daniel says he likes to sell the kit directly but you never know and there is no harm in asking. I do have a 20' centre console that has been built and proven (although the client put their own island cab on it, loosely based on one of my design). Depending on where you are, Jimmy has said Metal Shark will cut kits for clients or you can put me in touch with a local supplier I'll send the cutfiles directly to them.
Attachments
595 cc.jpg
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
kmorin

Post by kmorin »

Fishfullthinken.... Did you ever decide to go ahead with your project? Just bumping this up to see if you'd take a minute to let us know if you're
#1 moving on?
#2 stalled on one of Life's many sand bars? or
#3 getting ready to choose the interior finish colors and have been too busy to let the AAB.com Forum know?

thanks for any time to update...

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic