Interesting Boat

Post your Alloy pictures here
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Interesting Boat

Post by Challenge »

WOW 60 Knots from twin 300's in a 35' boat. I'm looking forward to hearing what Kevin says about the design.

http://www.neboatworks.com/news61-sea-blade-35.php

Video:

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/video ... fGDy_nBzGc

Looks like it rides smoothly!

Enjoy
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Interesting Boat

Post by kmorin »

Challenge,

interesting link(s), neat welded boat on the upper end of design for speed as the boat's main purpose in life.
The second link to the video is a little disappointing as the narrator does engage in plenty of 'ad speak' instead of real world honestly worded descriptions. I don't mean that any builder's front man shouldn't praise their boat, but claiming the boat is designed for high seas and then seeing it run in a 2-3 swell with no break? Come on... that is puker boat weather... Where are the 12'er's with a break and the image of the boat crashing through at 40knots cruise? OH>>>>???/ they'd have to slow down or pitch pole into a wave face..... let's get real- that sled is fast if the seas allow it to be fast.

Does the image of a car or truck running off a huge ramp and slamming into the far side of the jumped space instead of hitting the other down ramp come to mind? That's what would happen to this or any other boat that was in (real world) high seas and running at the speeds in the video! If they hit the wave face of an oncoming swell instead of the back side? This skiff like all others like it would dive in like an arrow and then perhaps bob up on the far side? in the trough? not sure on that but the narrative and video begin with some separation that makes the claims seem a little far fetched to me?

The hull is developed from the plastico Boston Whaler hull idea of the sharp central V bottom flanked by 'amas' or side hulls to form a cathedral hull (generic term from the two arches) the main result here is they've changed the proportions but not the underlying idea. Note this is Ver4.0 of this design? So the proportions are definitely changing as they learn how it performs in different aspects, sea states and tasks.

The narrator says the boat carries a high load! What load? six guys- even 250lb apiece with gear isn't exactly what anyone could call a high load for 600hp! And the narrator says the boat performs in all sea states and aspects but where are the high speed turns with those amas? I saw a few 10 deg course corrections but no 120 deg changes?

The narrator does note the air cushioning effects of the hull's arches that trap some air, and that is reflected in the running photos but deceleration (slamming) is only being attenuated/reduced- not eliminated. The seats will have or need air shocks like most >40mph sea boats, and the weak link in any boat going this fast is the 'cargo'! Bags of jelly with bones being slammed into 'hard water' the faster they go!

It looks nice in the gunboat sense, not in a boating or marine sense, the slamming that must happen is minimized in the vid but shown by the isolation mounts of the helm and dash bulkhead sliding inside the cabin structure. This boat typifies the super high design challenge or making something light wt enough to go really fast- not bounce off water at the high speed 'hardness' of water. (Reynolds numbers go up so water becomes concrete hard as you go really fast)

The whale watching/sprint boat guides may like this boat; out fast, see the sites and back fast to load up again? The mega-yacht people may like a 60knot tender? But the real market will be the military where the RIB sides allow a fast boat to run up to any ship or harbor installation and land there without damage. The RIB part of the design seems mainly for sound minimization and impact absorption so I can see the Seals and other Special Forces wanting this boats' capabilities but they're pretty limited in use for the regular boater! I think this design is mostly inspired by the littoral combat Navy now holding big influence in the Navy brass circles. We've seen some stealth destroyer class vessels and some fast mine countermeasures boats, and the Seals already have versions of this boat- so I'm concluding this design reaches for better Seal delivery performance scenarios?

It would be interesting to see the transversely stepped hulls' lines drawings, tank tests and build procedure because that design may have some benefit to other less drastically proportioned sport boats' performance. The (much extra) work to plank the multiple chines and weld the results would need to be justified by that xverse shape's (cross section's) performance gains in order to be useful for a Cold Water/Pacific/SpecMar/Response Marine/Metal Shark builder to even consider adding that design feature to their boats.

Overall it's a neat boat for its tiny niche; those who contract to the government in defense appropriations sure do get to spend some high dollars to explore the boundaries of what welded aluminum boats could do if the cost didn't matter and the designer could draw whatever he wanted to explore !!~!~!!~~!

Just my few cents of observation from the links. I do note they took off the mill scale rather aggressively!!!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Last edited by kmorin on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo's
kmorin
Haliman78

Post by Haliman78 »

Looks like they took a protector and tried to make it not look a protector and don't the protectors run up to 75mpg? .. Looks like a horrible fishing boat ( which is all I care about )
I give this boat 2 thumbs down bob .. :beer:
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

This hull form is evidently back in the news? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... speedboat/ this appears to be a plastique version? perhaps the earlier posts showing the welded aluminum hull was because that would make a low cost one-off prototype of a durable material without having to the tooling costs for "plastique"?

anyway, the hull forms look identical, not in size but in main form in the link of news today and the previous older images and links? I didn't read closely or research, just noticed the images' similarities.
Haliman78 wrote:Looks like they took a protector and tried to make it not look a protector
Not sure what a protector is? Links? references? (remarks not clear.) I think the vid's and links shows this to be a special application hull form?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
JonH
Donator 21

Post by JonH »

Protector RIB's are built in NZ and are very popular with the yacht racing crowd.

http://www.protectorribs.com

The hull form also reminds me a bit of the old Mod-VP class outboard race boats - essentially a v-hull
with a slot removed from each side to allow air entrapment.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic